April 17, 1939

THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

Mr. Speaker, I deeply

regret to have to inform the house that I received only about an hour ago word of the sudden passing of one of our hon. members, Mr. Vital Mallette, the representative in this house of the Constituency of Jacques-Cartier. Word came to me in a telegram from an hon. member who informed me that at the noon hour to-day, or a little before noon, Mr. Mallette had been stricken with heart failure and had passed away while walking on the street in Montreal. I know that this word will come as a great shock to all hon. members. While Mr. Mallette had been a member of the commons only since the last general election, he was possessed of such a pleasant personality, he took such an active part in the general affairs of parliament, was so kind and

The late Vital Mallette

generous and friendly, and was so much liked, that in his passing I am sure all hon. members will experience a sense of real personal loss.

Mr. Mallette was in his fifty-first year. He was born at Pointe Claire. While he played an important part in provincial and national affairs his life was identified, in an intimate way, almost exclusively, with that municipality and the more varied activities and interests of Montreal. He served as an alderman of Pointe Claire for a number of years and for two or three years was mayor of the municipality. At the time of his death he was acting as secretary-treasurer of the municipality. The meritorious nature of his services in municipal affairs was recognized by one foreign government and was widely appreciated throughout the province in which he lived. Mr. Mallette was deeply solicitous of the welfare of his constituents and was most faithful in the discharge of his duties in this house.

It is mutely eloquent of Mr. Mallette's wide interest in affairs that on the order paper of to-day there appears a question in his name with respect to Canada's trade with Spain. Hon. members will recall that our late friend was much interested in social and international affairs. His life was given largely to an effort to further human betterment. His interest in young people, in particular, was deep and constant. The advancement of their welfare by the creation of national scholarships will be present in the minds of those who heard him advocate that proposal upon the floor of this house.

I might say very much with reference to the loss to our country which the sudden passing of one so gifted and so full of promise means at this time. I shall take occasion to speak of that on some future occasion. I will only say at the moment that those of us who sit on this side of the house have suffered an irreparable loss in the passing of one who was greatly loved by all the members of his party, who was exceptionally loyal to its policies and principles and at all times faithful in his devotion to its leader.

To Mrs. Mallette and her four children who have been so suddenly and so greatly bereaved there will go forth the deepest sympathy of hon. members from all sides of this house.

Topic:   THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE
CON

Robert James Manion (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Hon. R. J. MANION (Leader of the Opposition) :

Mr. Speaker, it comes to us always with a shock when anyone is carried away in the prime of life, and to die at fifty-one is certainly to pass away in the very prime; but the shock is all the greater when the deceased is one with whom we have been in contact and whom we know fairly well. I had not the honour of a personal acquaintance with

Mr. Mallette prior to the present session, but I know of his long public service in the city of Montreal and its surroundings, and I do know this, that he was greatly beloved by all members on this side of the house. For example, on my way into the chamber this afternoon at least half a dozen of our members expressed to me their deep affection for Mr. Mallette. They spoke of his kindly disposition, his genial personality, the fine friendly spirit which at all times he manifested to alt of us. So for that reason at least, on behalf of this party I can speak very highly of him. For myself, I had a few contacts with him, and on the occasions on which I heard him in this chamber I admired his ability to express himself. I sincerely join with the Prime Minister in expressing to the family of Mr. Mallette our very deep sympathy, and that sympathy I also wish to convey to the Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King) himself and his party in the loss of an active and able representative.

Topic:   THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE
CCF

Major James William Coldwell

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. M. J. COLDWELL (Rosetown-Biggar):

On behalf of the group with which I am associated I wish to express regret at the sudden passing of one whom we have grown to respect and for whom many of us who come from other parts of Canada have conceived something of an affection. As one of those who come from western Canada, an English-speaking part of the dominion, I should like to say that Mr. Mallette was one of those in the house who have contributed to the well-being of the Dominion of Canada, inasmuch as he interpreted to us some of the thoughts and aspirations of the French-Cana-dian people from which he came. We deeply regret his passing. We should like to associate ourselves with those who have expressed sympathy for the bereaved family, and we also sympathize with the Prime Minister and the party to which Mr. Mallette belonged in the loss they have sustained.

Topic:   THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE
CON

Robert Smeaton White

Mr. R. S. WHITE (St. Antoine-West-mount):

As one of the members from the island of Montreal I desire to express for myself and, I am quite sure, for all my colleagues, our profound sorrow at the sudden and untimely death of Mr. Mallette. I had known him only foy reputation until he entered . the house. That reputation was high and well-merited, as I have come to know during the past three sessions. I do not exaggerate in saying that he was a model member, devoted to the interests of his constituency, a broadminded, tolerant man. His constituency contains a large percentage of English people, and among them he numbered only friends. Ha had the happy faculty, perhaps a somewhat

The late Vital Mallette

rare one, of making friends, and I venture to say that no one could come in contact with Mr. Mallette without conceiving the highest possible regard for him. He never introduced party feeling into his social or his personal relations. Wherever he was known he was not only respected but greatly liked, and his constituency, the province of Quebec, and this House of Commons have suffered no mean loss in the regrettable and lamented death of Mr. Mallette.

Topic:   THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE
SC

René-Antoine Pelletier

Social Credit

Mr. R. A. PELLETIER (Peace River):

On behalf of the group with which I am associated and of myself I desire to join in the expressions of sympathy which have been tendered the bereaved family in the death of Mr. Mallette. Mr. Mallette was a member of an opposing party whom I came to know very well indeed. I can go further and say that it was only in his honour and behalf that I have ever worn a ribbon distinctive of the Liberal party. I well remember the occasion on which his constituents tendered him a banquet upon his first being elected to the House of Commons, and Mr. Vital Mallette, out of the kindness of his heart, invited me to participate. From that time many members of our group became closely acquainted with him, and the news of his death to-day has come to us as a distinct shock. We wish to join with the others in offering sympathy both to Mr. Mallette's family and to the :government, who have lost a man of whom they might very well be proud.

Topic:   THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE

Pierre-Joseph-Arthur Cardin (Minister of Public Works)

Hon. P. J. A. CARDIN (Minister of Public Works) (Translation):

The terrifying news of the death of Mr. Vital Mallette has deeply saddened all the members of the house and more particularly the representatives of the French element of the population. Mr. Mallette, as the Prime Minister (Mr Mackenzie King) has so aptly said, was an exemplary man. Unassuming, most attentive to his various duties, profoundly devoted to his family, he was a remarkable citizen. In the province of Quebec, indeed throughout all Canada, the premature death of this eminently useful and respectable citizen will be greatly regretted. I wish to join the Prime Minister in offering my heartfelt sympathy to Mrs. Mallette and all the members of her family.

Topic:   THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE

John Mouat Turner

Mr. J. M. TURNER (Springfield):

Not only have I lost my deskmate, but I believe this house will always remember the late Mr. Mallette as one of the most lovable and popular associates. In this hour of sorrow we extend to his wife and family our deepest sympathy.

Topic:   THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE
IND

James Samuel Taylor

Independent

Mr. J. S. TAYLOR (Nanaimo):

I, too, loved Mr. Mallette and admired his excellent qualities so continuously displayed. I desire that my sympathy with his family be extended through you, sir.

Topic:   THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE

Walter Adam Tucker

Mr. W. A. TUCKER (Rosthern):

Mr. Mallette was such a dear and valued friend of ours in this part of the house that I simply cannot let this occasion pass without paying a humble tribute to his memory. In this part of the house we were like a family, of which he was a most beloved member. His memory will always be held dear by all of us.

I count it a great privilege to have known him and so to have come under the influence of as fine a Christian gentleman as I have ever knowm. His advice to me since becoming a member of this house has been very valuable. He was a true Canadian and an example to all of us in his genuine love of Canada, and in his kindly tolerance of those of other views and of other religious and racial origins. He was beloved by all of us around him, whether Liberal or Conservative and whether English-speaking or French-speaking. I feel convinced that he had a great future before him in the public life of Canada, and it must be a matter of the deepest possible sorrow and regret that he was cut off so early in that career of service to his country. We deeply and sincerely sympathize with his family in their inexpressible loss and sorrow

Topic:   THE LATE VITAL MALLETTE

QUESTIONS

(Questions answered orally are indicated by an asterisk.)

EXCHEQUER COURT-RBITISH COLUMBIA CASE RESPECTING SEIZURE OF SEAL SKINS

IND

Mr. NEILL:

Independent

1. On what date last fall did the exchequer court sit in British Columbia regarding the seizure of certain seal skins?

2. Has judgment been rendered yet in the matter?

3. On what date were these skins seized?

4. Are they deteriorating through having been kept so long in storage?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   EXCHEQUER COURT-RBITISH COLUMBIA CASE RESPECTING SEIZURE OF SEAL SKINS

Mr. MICHAUD: (Minister of Fisheries)

1. September 12, 1938.

2. No.

3. 50 skins on May 10, 1937; 21 skins on May 18, 1937.

4. All reasonable precautions exercised for preserving skins during storage period. Degree of deterioration, if any, will not be known until skins are processed.

Motions for Papers

Topic:   QUESTIONS

CANADA-UNITED STATES TRADE-CANADIAN CATTLE QUOTA

CON

Mr. GRAYDON:

1. Has the quota for Canadian cattle exported to the United States been exhausted for the quarter-yearly period of April, May and June, 1939?

2. If so, when was said quota exhausted?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   CANADA-UNITED STATES TRADE-CANADIAN CATTLE QUOTA

Mr. EULER: (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

1. No.

2. Answered by No. 1.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   CANADA-UNITED STATES TRADE-CANADIAN CATTLE QUOTA

QUESTION PASSED AS ORDER FOR RETURN

CON

Mr. CHURCH:

1. Will the militia called out on service and militia duty for the king's visit throughout Canada be allowed any kind of pay, meals, or car or railway fares, or out of pocket expenses for being on parade, or any other per diem allowances in lieu thereof?

2. Have any applications for allowances been received of this nature from the militia, and what replies have been given?

3. Who makes these militia parade arrangements?

4. (a) Is the government contributing anything to the provinces, or municipalities, towards the cost of local decorating; (b) is the government decorating federal buildings in Canada?

Topic:   QUESTIONS