March 14, 1939

CON

Robert James Manion (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MANION:

It is a matter of opinion, and I would suggest to the Prime Minister that he be a little less personal in some of his remarks to me. I was quoting the right hon. gentleman's words, his actual words, right there, and I was putting the interpretation I think any intelligent person would put upon them. I do not need a lesson from him in regard to using intelligence in connection with this question.

Defence Purchasing Board

The right hon. gentleman has three or four times recently in this house made personal remarks about me, and I say to him now that he must just stop it. I can say things just as personal as he can. I can put my record up against his, dealing with the war, or anything else, now or any time-any time he likes-

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
Subtopic:   CREATION OP DEFENCE PURCHASING BOARD TO ENTER INTO CONTRACTS FOR MUNITIONS, EQUIPMENT, MATERIALS AND SUPPLIES

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Shame.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
CON

Robert James Manion (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MANION:

And a lot of howling from his followers, his rubber stamps, men who simply act as rubber stamps-

Thomas Vien

Mr. VIEN:

Mr. Chairman, I rise to a point of order. The leader of the opposition has no right to call an hon. member of this house a rubber stamp.

An hon. MEMBER:

Why not?

Thomas Vien

Mr. VIEN:

And I ask that he withdraw it.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
CON

Robert James Manion (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MANION:

Mr. Chairman, I will withdraw " rubber stamp," but neither have my hon. friends the right to attempt to howl me down when I am arguing legitimately with the Prime Minister. I am interrupted in this house I venture to say more than any other member who speaks in this chamber, and I take the interruptions without argument. I have been complimented by my hon. friends opposite upon that. I do not mind interruptions, and I will accept them, but I do not intend to be howled down by a group of men, no matter who they are.

Thomas Vien

Mr. VIEN:

When the leader of the opposition tries to set up his war record against that of the Prime Minister, I think it is unseemly on behalf of the leader of the opposition to do so, because we could also tell him some points that he may have forgotten. For instance, he left his post at the front and became a Liberal candidate in the election of 1917-I am talking about the war record that the hon. member has just mentioned-and when he landed at Quebec he became a Unionist candidate. I say that we do not want-

SC

John Charles Landeryou

Social Credit

Mr. LANDERYOU:

On a point of order.

Thomas Vien

Mr. VIEN:

I say that we do not want-

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE

Frederick George Sanderson (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

The CHAIRMAN:

Order. The hon. member is out of order.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
CON

Robert James Manion (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MANION:

Mr. Chairman, in view of the remarks the hon. member has made, I think I have a right to reply. I was not comparing war records. I did not mention my war record at all. I simply said that I was willing to stack my record up against that of the Prime Minister.

So far as leaving the front is concerned, the hon. member has made a statement which 's absolutely false. He said I left the front to

run as a candidate. I left the front because I was ordered out by the doctors, and I was operated on as a result of my service at the front. I wish to point out to the hon. member that I did not stay at home, in uniform, as he did. I went to the front.

Thomas Vien

Mr. VIEN:

Mr. Chairman-

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

In regard to personal attacks and criticisms, although I may be mistaken I thought I had tried to be particularly careful not to be personal in my remarks.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
CON

Robert James Manion (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MANION:

My right hon. friend has

been particularly careful to be personal three or four times in the house, and I object to it.

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

I had not intended to be personal. I am afraid my hon. friend has read into what I have said a meaning which was not there. I am afraid he does that on occasions.

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
CON

Robert James Manion (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MANION:

Before changing Hansard the right hon. gentleman had better see what he said.

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

I have not changed Hansard. But in looking over Hansard to-day I notice where my hon. friend had changed Hansard with respect to a statement he made the other day in regard to the question of the trade agreement being a matter of importance. When he spoke in the house he said it was not a matter of great consideration. But when I come to look at that Hansard to-day, I noticed it had been altered to read that the trade treaty was one of the most important of all things. When my hon. friend insinuates that I am changing Hansard-

Topic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE
CON

Robert James Manion (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MANION:

I had not insinuated it, either. But I made no change in Hansard. As a matter of fact, I do not see it; my secretary does that.

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

Well, if my hon. friend leaves Hansard to be revised by his secretary he must take the responsibility for what his secretary does. I revise Hansard myself, and I take the responsibility. However, what I wish to say is this: I have no desire to be personal. If at any time I am personal and my hon. friend will direct my attention to it, I shall be glad to withdraw whatever is personal in my language.

March 14, 1939