January 27, 1939

CON

Henry Herbert Stevens

Hon. H. H. STEVENS (Kootenay East):

I am not going to presume to express any view regarding the question of the leader of the opposition (Mr. Manion), who is absent to-day, but one point occurs to me which I think is important. The Minister of Agriculture (Mr. Gardiner) referred to or

Trade Agreements-Correspondence

declared that there had been a definite request by the British government, and it seems to me that when a reference such as that is made in the house, under the rules we are entitled to the particular document upon which such statement is based. As a fact disclosed in the statement is of very great importance in coming to a proper understanding of the whole agreement, I think that document at least should be tabled. For the moment I am not saying anything further with regard to the answer of the Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King); we will leave that until the leader of the opposition returns, but I would like to direct the Prime Minister's attention to that particular document.

Topic:   TRADE AGREEMENTS
Subtopic:   UNITED KINGDOM-UNITED STATES-CANADA-STATEMENT IN REPLY TO REQUEST FOR TABLING OF CORRESPONDENCE

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

As I recall

what was said by the Minister of Agriculture, and possibly he could verify this, I did not understand that he was quoting from any document at all. I agree with my hon. friend that no hon. member should quote from a document unless he is prepared to table the document itself.

Topic:   TRADE AGREEMENTS
CON

Henry Herbert Stevens

Mr. STEVENS:

If my right hon. friend will permit me, I did not say the minister quoted from the document. He made the statement that the government of Canada had been requested by the British government to do certain things, which I contend brings it under the rule.

Topic:   TRADE AGREEMENTS

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

I do not think there is anything to add to the statement I have just given the house. I think it answers the question of my hon. friend and makes it quite clear that there were requests made on the part of the British government not to the government of Canada alone but to other governments of the British empire. Undoubtedly it would be that request that would be referred to by the Minister of Agriculture.

Topic:   TRADE AGREEMENTS
CON

Grote Stirling

Hon. GROTE STIRLING (Yale):

In connection with the 'statement just made by the Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King), may I direct a question to the Minister of Trade and Commerce (Mr. Euler). Speaking the other day he said:

Our preference is suspended only until such time as the treaty between United States and Great Britain may be terminated.

He was asked:

Is that stated in any British agreement, in black and white?

Then he referred to the fact that it was in the exchange of notes between Canada and the United Kingdom. Does that therefore fall within the category referred to by the Prime Minister, and may we not be informed as to the details?

Topic:   TRADE AGREEMENTS

William Daum Euler (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Hon. W. D. EULER (Minister of Trade and Commerce):

I should think not; I believe that could be very well tabled when the agreement itself comes up.

Topic:   TRADE AGREEMENTS

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

It is already a part of the correspondence tabled.

Topic:   TRADE AGREEMENTS

FOREIGN PROPAGANDA

On the orders of the day:

CCF

James Shaver Woodsworth

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. J. S. WOODSWORTH (Winnipeg North Centre):

According to a statement made in one of a series of articles published by the Winnipeg Tribune-

A direct tie-up between German government officials and Nazi propaganda in Manitoba is revealed by records in the office of the provincial secretary of Manitoba-

Does this statement, with the accompanying evidence, (1) indicate that the present and previous German consuls have exceeded their diplomatic privileges; and (2) warrant an official investigation into such subversive activities in Canada?

Topic:   FOREIGN PROPAGANDA
Subtopic:   REPORTED CONNECTION BETWEEN GERMAN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND NAZI PROPAGANDA IN MANITOBA

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

My hon. friend was kind enough to give me a copy of his question before the house met, together with a copy of the Winnipeg Tribune which contains the evidence, so called, to which the question refers. I am sorry that I have not had time to look through the Tribune; therefore I am not in a position to answer my hon. friend's question categorically to-day; but I would say to him that activities of the kind to which he refers in his question have been drawn to the attention of the government from time to time and have been and are being investigated. Some time later I shall have a statement to make to the house on the matter, but I think that is as far as I can go at the moment.

Topic:   FOREIGN PROPAGANDA

SEED GRAIN

INQUIRY AS TO PROPOSED MEASURES FOR SUPPLYING OF SEED IN WESTERN CANADA

On the orders of the day:

CON

Ernest Edward Perley

Mr. E. E. PERLEY (Qu'Appelle):

In view of the fact that it is almost February 1 and the farmers in western Canada will soon require their seed for the 1939 crop, would the Minister of Finance (Mr. Dunning) make a statement as to when he proposes to bring in a measure which will provide for the supplying of seed; and will he assure the house that there will be no delay in furnishing the seed this year, as there was last year?

The Address-Mr. Golding

Hon. CHARLES A. DUNNING (Minister of Finance): I think my lion., friend knows that is scarcely a proper question to address to the government on the orders of the day. Does my hon. friend mean that there is a situation which demands dominion financing, in the same manner that was adopted a year ago? The hon. gentleman implies that such is the case, but I have no evidence that there is any condition as serious as that which warranted the action taken a year ago.

Topic:   SEED GRAIN
Subtopic:   INQUIRY AS TO PROPOSED MEASURES FOR SUPPLYING OF SEED IN WESTERN CANADA
CON

Ernest Edward Perley

Mr. PERLEY:

Would the minister inform the house, then, if he has had any requests from the provincial governments, from any associations or municipalities or from other bodies, with respect to seed?

Topic:   SEED GRAIN

Charles Avery Dunning (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. DUNNING:

Such requests might not come to me, but in any case I have had none personally.

Topic:   SEED GRAIN