January 23, 1939

John James Kinley

Mr. KINLEY:

Perhaps the minister would like to answer my question, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   FISHING INDUSTRY
Subtopic:   LOSS OF LOBSTER TRAPS AND EQUIPMENT ON WESTERN COAST OF NOVA SCOTIA

Joseph Enoil Michaud (Minister of Fisheries)

Hon. J. E. MICHAUD (Minister of Fisheries):

In order to keep the record straight, I understood you to rule, Mr. Speaker, that the hon. member for Halifax did not ask a question but asked for the production of papers. In reply to the hon. member for Queens-Lunenburg (Mr. Kinley) I may say that his statement is correct. An offer was made by the Department of Fisheries to the government of the province of Nova Scotia looking to cooperation for the relief of the situation in that province.

Topic:   FISHING INDUSTRY
Subtopic:   LOSS OF LOBSTER TRAPS AND EQUIPMENT ON WESTERN COAST OF NOVA SCOTIA

FISH TRAPS IN PACIFIC COAST WATERS

On the orders of the day:

IND

Alan Webster Neill

Independent

Mr. A. W. NEILL (Comox-Alberni):

I

have to ask a question of the Minister of Fisheries (Mr. Michaud)-perhaps he would allow me to make it two questions, seeing that the matter is urgent and the order paper route would be too slow.

Has the minister's attention been drawn to an item appearing on the front page of the Vancouver Sun of January 19, and dated [DOT]Olympia, Washington, stating:

Two fish trap bills designed to restore fish traps to Washington water . . . are being

drafted by the Senate Fisheries Committee and will be filed within a few days.

The second question is: In view of that

fact, is he prepared to take the responsibility

of maintaining our traps, only 4 in number, as against their 219, knowing that the results will be that our catch in those waters will drop from eighty per cent, as it is at present, to thirty per cent, as it used to be when the American traps were operating.

Topic:   FISH TRAPS IN PACIFIC COAST WATERS

Joseph Enoil Michaud (Minister of Fisheries)

Hon. J. E. MICHAUD (Minister of Fisheries) :

My attention was not drawn to the

item as published in the Vancouver paper or to the subject matter that has been referred to. The further question of the advisability of reciprocating or of maintaining the policy of issuing fish trap licences is being considered at the present time.

Topic:   FISH TRAPS IN PACIFIC COAST WATERS

RADIO BROADCASTING

On the orders of the day:

CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Hon. C. H. CAHAN (St. Lawrence-St. George):

I gave a short notice to the Minister of Transport (Mr. Howe) of some questions I desired to ask of him.

In an Ottawa dispatch to the Gazette, of Montreal, published on January 14th instant, the Minister of Transport, in referring to the McCullagh broadcasting incident, is reported as making a statement that-

One case in point, which became an issue, was a similar request by Sir Edward Beatty. He wished to buy time on a chain and was refused.

I desire to ask three questions of the Minister of Transport. First, did the minister make the statement so reported? Second, has the minister since then informed himself of the relevant facts? Third, is the statement, so reported, true or false?

Topic:   RADIO BROADCASTING
Subtopic:   REFUSAL OF BROADCASTING PRIVILEGES TO PUBLISHER OF TORONTO GLOBE AND MAIL- BROADCAST BY SIR EDWARD BEATTY

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Transport)

Hon. C. D. HOWE (Minister of Transport) :

I regret that I omitted inadvertently in my statement of last Friday to deal with this situation. I had intended to deal with it as well as with one or two other references that have been made in the house. I did refer however to the one-minute interview which I gave to the reporter for the Globe and Mail, and the unfavourable circumstances surrounding it. As I remember it, the reporter asked if this was the first occasion on which the rule had been applied. I said that it was by no means the first occasion. He then asked me to name one occasion on which it had been applied. My mind flashed back to a discussion in the board of governors which had been reported to me of the propriety or otherwise of Sir Edward Beatty having purchased a wire network to deliver a speech giving one side only of a very controversial

Radio Broadcasting

question. It was my recollection at that time that the discussion had taken place prior to the application and that the application had been refused. I have since taken the trouble, however, to ascertain the facts. I find that it was the discussion of an event which had taken place. The broadcast had been given, and no further application had been made.

Therefore, to answer the questions categorically :

First, did the minister make the statement so reported ?

The answer is yes, substantially. I will not argue about the variations in wording.

Second, has the minister since then informed himself of the relevant facts?

The answer is, yes.

Third, is the statement, so reported, true or false?

The statement I made was incorrect, and I wish to state while I am on my feet that I tender a public apology to Sir Edward Beatty for having brought his name into that interview.

Topic:   RADIO BROADCASTING

EMPLOYMENT OF WAR VETERANS AS CANVASSERS FOR RADIO LICENCES

On the orders of the day:

CON

Frank Exton Lennard

Mr. F. E. LENNARD (Wentworth):

Mr. Speaker, I should like to ask the Minister of Transport (Mr. Howe) the following question: Will the ex-service men to be appointed by him as radio licence vendors this year receive these jobs upon the recommendation of the officials of the local units of the veterans' organizations, where such organizations exist throughout Canada?

Topic:   EMPLOYMENT OF WAR VETERANS AS CANVASSERS FOR RADIO LICENCES

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Transport)

Hon. C. D. HOWE (Minister of Transport):

I believe I answered the same question last Friday. In fuller explanation I may say that I was approached by the leaders of certain organizations of ex-service men asking that ex-service men be employed as vendors of radio licences. After some discussion I entered into an arrangement, which seemed to be entirely agreeable to the ex-service men, to the effect that ex-service men would be used for this work as far as they may be available. I pointed out, however, and the ex-service men's committee agreed with me, that the Minister of Transport being responsible for the collection of licences, must take responsibility also for the selection, from those available, of the particular ex-service men who will do the work. That is the situation as I stated it last Friday.

Topic:   EMPLOYMENT OF WAR VETERANS AS CANVASSERS FOR RADIO LICENCES
CON

Frank Exton Lennard

Mr. LENNARD:

On whose recommendation would they be appointed?

[Mr Howe.l

Topic:   EMPLOYMENT OF WAR VETERANS AS CANVASSERS FOR RADIO LICENCES

ADDRESS OF MANAGING DIRECTOR OF LONDON LIFE OVER NATIONAL NETWORK

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Transport)

Hon. C. D. HOWE (Minister of Transport) :

On Friday last the hon. member for Greenwood (Mr. Massey) asked, on the orders of the day, a question which was sent to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and to which I have received an answer. The question asked by the hon. member was:

Last evening at 7.15 over station CFRB, on a trans-Canada network of twenty-nine stations, Mr. Edward Reid, managing director of the London Life Insurance Company, broadcast an address which was advertised as:

A message to the general public, which will be of particular interest to the owners of the 700,000 policies issued by this company.

Would the minister be good enough to explain to this house why, if Mr. George Mc-Cullagh, publisher of the Globe and Mail, was banned from the use of a network to broadcast a message to the general public and the readers of the Globe and Mail, Mr. Reid was granted the use of a network to broadcast a message to the general public and his policyholders?

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation gives me this reply:

On December 3rd application was made on behalf of the London Life Insurance Company to buy time to enable the vice-president of the company to speak briefly to their policyholders dealing with the principles upon which life insurance was operated. The application for the CBC national network was refused. In view, however, of arrangements made independently by the agents of the London Life Insurance Company with privately-owned stations antedating the extension of CBC network regulations to all networks, it was decided to give permission for this fifteen-minute program of institutional advertising to be accepted by a network of privately-owned stations concerned.

Topic:   ADDRESS OF MANAGING DIRECTOR OF LONDON LIFE OVER NATIONAL NETWORK

REPORTED PURCHASE OF SITE FOR NEW STUDIO IN OUTREMONT

CON

Denton Massey

Mr. DENTON MASSEY (Greenwood):

I should like to direct another question to the Minister of Transport (Mr. Howe) concerning a matter involving the expenditure of some $800,000 of public money. A dispatch in the Montreal Gazette to-day reads in part as follows:

CBC may purchase site in Outremont.

Proprietors asked to approve sale of land for studio. . . . New radio building projectto cost $800,000. . . .if the plan materializes, the building will be erected . . . immediately adjoining the

Mount Royal cemetery.

No statement could be obtained last night from CBC officials as to whether or not the corporation had definitely decided to acquire the Outremont site if proprietors approved.

The minister may not be in a position to make a statement to-day, but I do feel

The Address-Mr. Rogers

that the house should be given information in this matter perhaps to-morrow. Would the minister make a statement concerning the matter?

Topic:   REPORTED PURCHASE OF SITE FOR NEW STUDIO IN OUTREMONT