May 25, 1938

ROYAL ASSENT

Walter Edward Foster (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I have the honour to inform the house that I have received the following letter:

Ottawa, 25th May, 1938.

Sir,-I have the honour to inform you that the Right Honourable Sir Lyman P. Duff, Chief Justice of Canada, acting as Deputy of His Excellency the Governor General, will proceed to the Senate Chamber to-day, Wednesday, the 25th May, at 5.30 p.m., for the purpose of giving the Royal Assent to certain Bills.

I have the honour to be, Sir,

Your obedient servant,

F. L. C. Pereira, Assistant Secretary to the

Governor General.

Topic:   ROYAL ASSENT

PETITION

On the order for motions:

Robert Emmett Finn

Mr. R. E. FINN (Halifax):

I desire under this order and under the rules of the house- the rule has now been changed-to present

51952-204J

a petition signed by 1,500 fishermen along the coast of Nova Scotia in the county of Halifax. In invoking the rule in reference to presenting petitions I desire to present the names of the petitioners, living in these fishing villages from Ecum Secum to Hubbards. I do not desire to take up the time of the house, because the business of the house should be proceeded with; may I therefore, with the indulgence of the house, without reading the names, have them become a part of the record when the petition is laid upon the table? If that meets with the approval of the Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King), the leader of the opposition (Mr. Bennett), the leaders of other groups in the house, and hon. members generally, I am content to do it in that way.

Topic:   PETITION
Subtopic:   REQUEST OF HALIFAX EAST INSHORE FISHING INDUSTRY FOR RECONSIDERATION OF TRAWLER LICENSING

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Read it.

Robert Emmett Finn

Mr. FINN:

"We, the undersigned-

Topic:   PETITION

Walter Edward Foster (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I think the hon. member should present his petition, and when it is presented it will be considered and he may then move, if he wishes, that it be read by the clerk at the table.

Robert Emmett Finn

Mr. FINN:

I do not propose that. I am well within the rules of the house in presenting this petition under this order. I have a perfect right to invoke the rule in order that I may read the names of these 1,500 people. But I do not propose to do that; all I ask is that the names become a part of the record in Hansard when the petition is laid on the table of the house.

Topic:   PETITION

Walter Edward Foster (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

It will be in order for the hon. member to lay his petition on the table of the house.

Robert Emmett Finn

Mr. FINN:

With the understanding that it becomes a part of the record.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Robert Emmett Finn

Mr. FINN:

Then I shall invoke the rule and read the names. Hon. members must take one horn of the dilemma or the other.

Topic:   PETITION

Walter Edward Foster (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I do not think it is the practice to read a petition in that way. Petitions are generally presented at the table to the clerk of the house. The other day the hon. member for Comox-Alberni (Mr. Neill) moved that a petition be read, but it was a short petition-

Robert Emmett Finn

Mr. FINN:

I do not think the length or shortness of the petition alters the rule. I desired not to keep the house from getting on with its business. If the house is agreeable under the rule that these names shall become a part of the record in Hansard I am content.

Halifax Inshore Fishing

LIB-PRO

Joseph Thorarinn Thorson

Liberal Progressive

Mr. THORSON:

What rule?

Robert Emmett Finn

Mr. FINN:

I am speaking under motions. I am not going to be cross-fired at by hon. members on this side of the house. It is all very well for them, living inland among the oats and hay and barley. If the hon. member is not able to look up the rule for himself I am not his clerk.

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

May I draw the attention of my hon. friend to the rale-paragraph 7 under standing order 68:

On the next day following the presentation of the petition the clerk of the house shall lay upon the table the report of the clerk of petitions upon the petitions presented and such report shall be printed in the votes and proceedings of that day. Every petition so reported upon, not containing matter in breach of the privileges of this house and which, according to the rules or practice of this house, can be received, shall then be deemed to be permitted to be read and received.

In the first instance the petition should be merely presented. After it has been examined and a report has been made upon it, is the time when it will be known if the petition may be read and received.

Topic:   PETITION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT: