May 20, 1938

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Mines and Resources)

Mr. CRERAR:

I am advised there were a few established, but I cannot give the hon. member exact information in that regard. I should be glad to supply it when the supple-mentaries are under consideration. If the hon. member will raise the question at that time, I shall be pleased to answer it.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES
CON

Harry James Barber

Mr. BARBER:

I believe that during the last few years there has been some conflict in connection with the game regulations in British Columbia. I have received representations similar to those indicated by the hon. member for Vancouver South, and I endorse the statement that the administration of the act should be carried on by the federal government. I should like to know what the conflict was; I know there was some conflict in connection with the game regulations.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Mines and Resources)

Mr. CRERAR:

The only question of conflict which arose was that some of the hunters in British Columbia were not quite satisfied with the periods of open and closed seasons which were established. It is only very rarely that all of the regulations in any province are accepted without at least some criticism. I must add, however, that the general good sense of the public supports the regulations as they are framed from year to year.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES

Item agreed to. Grant to John Thomas (Jack) Miner, $4,000.

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Mines and Resources)

Mr. CRERAR:

This is the usual grant.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES
CON

Hugh Alexander Stewart

Mr. STEWART:

I suppose there will be supplementary estimates under which we shall be able to discuss almost anything pertaining to the department.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES
CON

Hugh Alexander Stewart

Mr. STEWART:

If not, I would ask the minister to leave an item open so that there may be general discussion.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Mines and Resources)

Mr. CRERAR:

Practically all of these

items will reappear in the supplementary estimates for additional votes. I would be very glad to accede to the suggestion of the hon. member, and I would do so particularly because I know of the interest of the right hon. the leader of the opposition in the Banff national park and in western parks generally.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES

Charles Avery Dunning (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. DUNNING:

There will be plenty of opportunity.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Mines and Resources)

Mr. CRERAR:

Yes, there will be plenty of opportunity, under the supplementary estimates, to discuss these matters.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES

Item agreed to.

Thomas Alexander Crerar (Minister of Mines and Resources)

Mr. CRERAR:

Mr. Chairman, I wish to express my appreciation to the committee for the assistance they have given in getting these votes through.

Progress reported.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF MINES AND RESOURCES

At eleven o'clock the house adjourned, without question put, pursuant to standing order. Monday, May 23, 1938

May 20, 1938