March 15, 1937

ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF ADDRESS IN REPLY

Walter Edward Foster (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I have the honour to inform the house that I have received; a message from His Excellency the Governor General, signed by his own hand, reading as follows:

I have received with great pleasure the address that you have voted in reply to my speech at the opening of parliament, and thank you for it sincerely.

Tweedsmuir.

Government House,

Ottawa,

9th March, 1937.

Topic:   ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF ADDRESS IN REPLY

VETERANS' ASSISTANCE COMMISSION

Hon. C. G. POWER (Minister of Pensions and National Health): I desire to lay on the table of the house interim report of the Veterans' Assistance Commission, with correspondence relating thereto and supplementary recommendations, together with a list of members and secretaries of the honorary local committees. Five copies of this report have been tabled, and I have also arranged that copies shall be distributed to all hon. members of this house who were members of the pensions and soldiers problems committee of last year.

CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Transport)

Hon. C. D. HOWE (Minister of Transport):

I desire to lay on the table the annual report of the Canadian National Railways for the year ended December 31, 1936; the annual report of the Canadian Government Merchant Marine Limited and the Canadian National West Indies Steamships Limited for the year ended December 31, 1936; the report to parliament of George A. Touche and Company, auditors of the accounts of the Canadian National railway system, for the year ended December 31, 1936. These accounts are tabled in both languages. The annual reports of the railways and the steamships are being distributed this afternoon through the post office to each hon. member. These reports, together with the railway estimates and the auditors' report, will be referred to the standing committee on railways and shipping; and, Mr. Speaker, if I may obtain the unanimous consent of the house, I will move, seconded by Mr. Crerar:

That the resolution passed by this house on the 18th January, 1937, referring the following estimates to the committee of supply, be rescinded, and that the said estimates be now referred to the select standing committee on railways and shipping:

Vote 96 M.FJtA..-Canadian National Railways, eastern lines, 20 per cent reduction in tolls, $1,800,000.

Vote 97 M.F.R.A.-Railways other than C.N.R., 20 per cent reduction in tolls, $700,000.

Vote 293-Canadian National (W.I.), S.S. capital, $48,500.

Vote 361-Canadian National Railway, deficit 1937, $35,000,000.

Vote 362-Canadian National W.I., S.S. working capital, $500,000.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
Subtopic:   TABLING OF REPORTS, RAILWAYS, STEAMSHIPS AND AUDITORS-REFERENCE TO STANDING COMMITTEE
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. R. B. BENNETT (Leader of the Opposition):

I think it will be found desirable, if not necessary, that the items should continue in the supply bill; otherwise it will

C.N.R.-Reports Tabled

be essential that a separate bill be provided dealing with these matters, and they would not then be in the supply bill itself. The Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King) has indicated that it was his wish that appropriations should all appear in a supply bill if possible, and I think the resolution would be better if in terms it indicated that these items were to be referred to the standing committee and reported to the house without taking them from the supply items at all. The Minister of Finance (Mr. Dunning has placed these items in his estimates and, being in the estimates, they will therefore form part of the supply bill. I quite agree with the minister that it is desirable to refer them to the committee and I thought possibly he would make the motion broad enough to refer to that committee as well the report that he has just .tabled, so that the one resolution would cover it all. If he would reconsider the resolution he might frame it in somewhat different terms. Possibly it would suit his purpose to let it stand and refer back to this order of business later in the day, making his resolution comprehensive enough to include the report in the reference to the committee and to ensure that the items would still remain in the estimates for consideration with a view to the framing of a supply bill when the time came. That, I gathered, was the policy laid down by the Prime Minister with respect to matters of the kind. The Minister of Finance will be able bo correct me if I am wrong.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Transport)

Mr. HOWE:

The clerk of the house advises me that these estimates cannot be before two committees at the same time but that the report goes to the railways and shipping committee and is then referred back to the committee of supply. However, I should be glad to allow it to stand.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

Oh, no-if that is understood.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

Motion agreed to. TREMBLAY DIVORCE BILL Mr. S. W. JACOBS (Cartier) moved: That the petition of Maurice Tremblay, resented on the 4th instant, praying for a ill of divorce from Jeanne Rene de Sales La Terriere Tremblay, together with the report of the clerk of petitions thereon, be referred to the standing committee on standing orders for the purpose of considering the suspension of standing orders 92 and 93 (3) (a) and (b).

CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

Explain.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

I understand that there has been some irregularity with regard to the

delays in connection with this bill, and in order to correct it I am moving that the petition be sent to the standing orders committee for the purpose of having their decision thereon. It will be reported back to the house.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE (Quebec East):

Has this bill gone through the senate, where all these bills originate?

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

It must be on account of certain irregularities that the divorce is asked for.

Topic:   CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS

Motion agreed to.

PRIVILEGE-MR. JACOBS DIVISION ON INDUSTRIAL LOAN AND FINANCE CORPORATION BILL

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. S. W. JACOBS (Cartier):

I rise to a question of privilege. In the votes and proceedings of Friday, March 12, I note that a vote was taken on Bill No. 59, with reference to the Industrial Loan and Finance Corporation, and I am declared to have been present and to have voted on this bill. I may say I was not here during the whole of last week, having been confined to my house through illness, 'and I am a little surprised to find that some person in my stead voted for me. I wish to say that the voice was not the voice of Jacob although the hands were the hands of Esau.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. JACOBS DIVISION ON INDUSTRIAL LOAN AND FINANCE CORPORATION BILL

LORD'S DAY ACT