February 12, 1936

DOMINION FRANCHISE ACT

Hon. FERNAND RINFRET (Secretary of State) moved for leave to introduce Bill No. 3, to amend the Dominion Franchise Act.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Explain.

Topic:   DOMINION FRANCHISE ACT

Louis Édouard Fernand Rinfret (Secretary of State of Canada)

Mr. RINFRET:

The purpose of the bill is simply to postpone for one year the annual revision of the lists.

Motion agreed to and bill read the first time.

Topic:   DOMINION FRANCHISE ACT

CANADA SHIPPING ACT

On the orders of the day:

CCF

Angus MacInnis

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.)

Mr. ANGUS MacINNIS (Vancouver East):

Before the orders of the day are called, I would like to ask the Minister of Marine (Mr. Howe) if he can give the house any information as to when the Canada Shipping Act, passed in 1934, will be proclaimed.

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT

Clarence Decatur Howe (Minister of Marine; Minister of Railways and Canals)

Hon. C. D. HOWE (Minister of Marine):

Mr. Speaker, there is a question on the order paper.

Topic:   CANADA SHIPPING ACT

IMPERIAL DEFENCE

On the orders of the day:

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

On February 10 the hon. member for Winnipeg North Centre (Mr. Woodsworth) asked the following question:

May I ask the Prime Minister what commitments, if any, have been made by Canada with regard to imperial defence?

I answered at the time:

I would have to have a conference with my colleague the Minister of Defence before I could answer my hon. friend. I am not aware of any commitments, myself, at the moment.

I now give my hon. friend the answer, having taken up the matter with the Minister of National Defence:

While declarations on behalf of Canada on the subject of the defence of Canada have been made at various imperial conferences, as may be seen from the results thereof published from time to time, I am not aware of any commitments made on behalf of Canada with regard to imperial defence. At such conferences it has been expressly recognized that it is for the parliaments of the several parts of the British commonwealth of nations, upon the recommendation of their respective governments, to decide upon their course.

Canada-United States Trade Agreement

Topic:   IMPERIAL DEFENCE

CANADA-UNITED STATES TRADE AGREEMENT

On the orders of the day:

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

May I reply, Mr. Speaker, to a question asked last evening by the right hon. leader of the opposition (Mr. Bennett) as to the distribution of the Canada-United States trade agreement. On the day of tabling the reports, I tabled the agreement in printed form. I thought it had been distributed to all hon. members of the house, but if any hon. members have not received a copy I will see that another distribution is made.

Topic:   CANADA-UNITED STATES TRADE AGREEMENT
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. R. B. BENNETT (Leader of the Opposition):

Mr. Speaker, that is not the point I had in mind. I had in mind the supplying of information that would enable a proper discussion of the agreement to be had in this chamber. It will be recalled that when the British agreements were under consideration, and the agreements made with other parts of the British empire, we printed for the use of members a complete record of the tariffs and changes, showing what the tariff rates were and what the changes were. Inasmuch as the right hon. gentleman has indicated that the agreement contemplates a great alteration in the whole tariff structure of the country, it might foe desirable, in fact it is desirable, that there should be in the hands of hon. members a statement showing what the existing tariff rates are that will be applicable to the United States, and what the United States tariff rates are that will be made applicable to Canada on the various items that are affected by the agreement in both countries. That is the information that was received by the house when the imperial trade agreements were under consideration; and it does seem to me that, in order that the agreement may be properly studied, such things should be available to the members of the house in convenient form. I think on that occasion we did circulate a copy of the whole tariff act, and supplied also several sheets that contained comparisons between the existing rates and the rates that were to come into force under the agreement.

Topic:   CANADA-UNITED STATES TRADE AGREEMENT

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

May I say to my right hon. friend that that is not the request which he made last night.

Topic:   CANADA-UNITED STATES TRADE AGREEMENT
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

That is the request I tried to make. [DOT]

Topic:   CANADA-UNITED STATES TRADE AGREEMENT

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

May I read what my right hon. friend did ask for? He said:

Before the motion is put, I would point out that the government notice of motion standing in the name of the Prime Minister with respect to the trade agreement does not set out the agreement itself. It will be recalled that last year when we were dealing with matters of that kind we thought it desirable to put the agreement or convention or whatever it might be on the orders of the day. so that members of the house would have it before them when they came to approve the agreement. We printed for the convenience of the members the various conventions that had been signed' at Geneva in order that they might have it before them when ratification or approval was moved. I suggest therefore that the trade agreement should be set out on the orders of the day so that it will be available to the members for we must insist on having before us the agreement before we approve it in some form or another.

There is no mention there of anything other than the agreement itself, and, as I have said, the agreement was tabled on Monday and I have been informed that it was distributed to all members on the same day in both English and French. The request my right hon. friend now makes is one I shall be very glad to take into consideration and with respect to which I shall give him a reply later.

Topic:   CANADA-UNITED STATES TRADE AGREEMENT