July 2, 1935

CON

Bernard Munroe Stitt

Mr. STITT (Nelson):

You mentioned steel helmets, if I remember aright. I do not think the hon. member could have read her newspaper very closely to-day or she would have a different opinion from that. I hold in my hand a copy of the Ottawa Evening Joumal of July 2-

Topic:   B.C. RELIEF CAMP STRIKERS
PRO
CON

Bernard Munroe Stitt

Mr. STITT (Nelson):

All I can say in

reply to that is that the hon. member is misguided. On page 13 in the first column I read this:

First warning of the raid on the ^meeting called by the strike leaders to explain their negotiations with authorities and ask for funds for food was a quick rally of police from the vicinity of the police station.

That is the city police station:

The station abuts on the market square. Carrying batons, city police moved into the crowd' and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police followed. A few minutes later additional Royal Canadian Mounted Police were brought to the scene in trucks, and about fifty came on horses.

So the city police were the first to move into this crowd, not the mounted police at all.

Topic:   B.C. RELIEF CAMP STRIKERS
PRO
CON

Bernard Munroe Stitt

Mr. STITT (Nelson):

I think it is just

possible that in discussing this afternoon this tragedy at Regina some hon. members allowed themselves to be carried away. Some of the speeches certainly contained more heat than light. Some of them went so far as to attempt to make political capital out of what happened. So far as this party is concerned, Mr. Speaker, I think we are only doing our duty as we see it. That is what we were sent down here for, to maintain British institutions and to preserve this empire which I think we all love and revere, and so far as possible to better the conditions of our people. I ithink the people of this country, those whose minds and eyes are not blinded with prejudice, will admit that we have done a pretty fair job. It is true that we have not been able to keep all our political promises which were made in the heat of the election campaign.

Topic:   B.C. RELIEF CAMP STRIKERS

An hon. MEMBER:

That is true.

Topic:   B.C. RELIEF CAMP STRIKERS
CON

Bernard Munroe Stitt

Mr. STITT (Nelson):

But that is not confined to the Conservative party. Let the Liberals go back and read their 1919 promises and they will see that they did not keep all of their promises either. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

I think that the Prime Minister (Mr. Bennett) is to be congratulated rather than condemned for the stand that he has taken on this question. Communism is running riot in

B. C. Relief Camp Strikers

this country. It has even gone so far, I think I am not unfair in saying, that it has almost gained control of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation.

Topic:   B.C. RELIEF CAMP STRIKERS
UFA
CON

Bernard Munroe Stitt

Mr. STITT (Nelson):

I can do that too. I will explain it as-I know it. I had in my constituency last year one of the most serious industrial strikes that had occurred in this country for years. At Flin-Flon, Manitoba, fifteen hundred miners were called out by communists pure and simple. Communists like Ross, Mabel Marlowe, and Coleman, with a long criminal record, all out and out communists, were out there organizing that strike. Who was the leader? Alec Stewart of Flin-Flon. If he is not a communist he runs in very dangerous company. He was certainly running with these communists. What happened? Only a couple of short weeks ago Alec Stewart, the leader of the Flin-Flon strike, was nominated as the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation candidate in my riding. If communists are not getting control of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation I miss my guess, and the hon. member for Winnipeg North Centre (Mr. Woods-worth) had better look to his laurels. I believe he realizes that at the present moment.

As I said, Mr. Speaker, the Conservative party was elected to maintain our institutions, to endeavour to improve the conditions of our people, and to preserve our empire, but we have a further duty. As a matter of fact we have two duties to perform: (a) to honourably and courageously live up to our ideals and traditions, and (b) to fearlessly and earnestly tear the mask of moderation from the bolshevik features of some of these socialists organizations that are running around this country, and I am not excepting the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation when I say that, not as I know them in my constituency at any rate. As far as the Conservative party is concerned we intend to do our duty. At least I hope we do, and I certainly will press for it myself as long as I am in this party. Our party may be defeated at the polls, we may go down to defeat, but it will be with our flag flying, defeated but not dishonoured.

I have spoken on former occasions against these camps. I have expressed dissatisfaction with them. I remember that when the minimum wage act was introduced in this house I went so far as to say that I hoped the first place the government would apply it would be in these relief camps. I reiterate that statement. I am not in favour of these

camps. I go still further. The Minister of National Defence (Mr. Stirling) made the statement here to-night that it cost $39 a month to maintain the men in these camps. If that is so, I say there is something rotten in the state of Denmark; it is costing too much for administration. I am not saying there is anything dishonest about it, but it is costing too much for the value received. It would be far better for this country to give these men in the camps this $39 per month and take a day's work from them.

I wish in conclusion to congratulate the Prime Minister on the stand he has taken on this whole matter. We cannot let mob rule run riot in this country. I am one who went overseas in order that the peace, happiness and security of this country should be preserved. I am one returned soldier who-will again take up a rifle to defend my home in my own country.

Topic:   B.C. RELIEF CAMP STRIKERS
UFA

PENSIONS AND NATIONAL HEALTH

Salaries-departmental staff-further amount required, $30,000.

CON

Donald Matheson Sutherland (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. SUTHERLAND:

This to to provide a further amount required for departmental staff. It is to provide for more nurses for departmental hospitals, for orderlies and hospital utility men, for investigators and stenographers. Included in 'this item is an .amount of $9,000 to provide for the investigators recommended in the Hyndman report.

Topic:   PENSIONS AND NATIONAL HEALTH

Ian Alistair Mackenzie

Mr. MACKENZIE (Vancouver):

Which portion of the Hyndman report refers to that matter?

Topic:   PENSIONS AND NATIONAL HEALTH
CON

Donald Matheson Sutherland (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. SUTHERLAND:

The sixteenth recommendation in connection with the present staff of the department.

Topic:   PENSIONS AND NATIONAL HEALTH

Item agreed to. Unemployment relief - further amount required, $500,009.

Ian Alistair Mackenzie

Mr. MACKENZIE (Vancouver):

How

much of this amount is to be used for the ordinary purposes of the department and how much to implement the recommendations of the Hyndman commission?

Topic:   PENSIONS AND NATIONAL HEALTH
CON

Donald Matheson Sutherland (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. SUTHERLAND:

Practically the whole amount is to be used to implement the Hyndman report. Possibly a certain amount would have been provided for had that report not been issued, but practically the whole of this amount is to implement the report.

Topic:   PENSIONS AND NATIONAL HEALTH

Ian Alistair Mackenzie

Mr. MACKENZIE (Vancouver):

The minister will notice that practically all of page 15 and the first portion of page 16 of the report deals with the recommendation for the establishment of a commission. Is it the intention of the government to appoint this voluntary commission?

Topic:   PENSIONS AND NATIONAL HEALTH