1. Was the historical section of the Department of National Defence created in 1917 by 92582-2261
order in council number 19, dated January 17, 1917, and reorganized by order in council number 1052, dated May 27, 1921?
2. Did' the government at the time consideration was being given to the placing of the staff of the soldier settlement board on a permanent basis, give due consideration to having the staff of the historical section, Department of National Defence, also placed on a permanent basis?
3. Is the government aware that this staff, the majority of whom are returned soldiers, has been employed on this work since 1917 and in a relative position to that of the soldier settlement board staff?
4. If so, has the government given consideration to this question in view of the soldier settlement board staff being made permanent?
Topic: DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE-HISTORICAL SECTION
1. Did the superintendent of the Post Office Department call for tenders for the carrying of the mail on rural routes Nos. 1 and 2 in the parish of St. Jean de Matha, county of Joliette, in the month of April, last?
2. If so, who were the tenderers and what were the tender prices?
3. Were contracts awarded, what were the contract prices and to whom were such contracts awarded ?
2 and 3. The contract for route No. 1 was awarded to James C'omtois, the only tenderer, at $375 per annum, and the contract for route No. 2 was awarded to Hormisdas Desroches, also the only tenderer, at $375 per annum.
1. Who is the contractor for rural route No. I Shelburne to Upper Ohio, Shelburne county?
2. What was the amount of the contract when first awarded to the present contractor?
3. Was said amount of contract increased during the term of the present contract; if so, how much?
4. When does the present contract expire?
5. Will public tenders be called for new contract to follow expiration of present one?
6. If so, in what newspaper or newspapers will they be published?
7. Has any arrangement been entered into, or offer been made to present contractor, or any other person or persons, to carry the mails from Shelburne, N.S., to Upper Ohio, R.R. No. 1, immediately upon expiry of present contract?
8. If so, with whom, and for what price, and for how long a period of time?
9. If such arrangement has been made without public tender, upon whose recommendation did the Post Office Department act?
1. James M. Bower.
2. $550 per annum.
4. 30th September, 1935.
6. See answer to No. 5.
8. A renewal for four years was authorized with the present contractor at 8475 per annum.