May 23, 1935

STANDING ORDERS

Mr. A. U. G. BURY (East Edmonton) presented the second report of the select standing committee on standing orders, and moved that the report be concurred in. Motion agreed to.

VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT

CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Right Hon. R. B. BENNETT (Prime Minister) moved:

That when this house adjourns this day it stand adjourned until Monday the 27 th instant.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT

William Duff

Mr. WILLIAM DUFF (Antigonish-Guys-borough):

Mr. Speaker, I understand that there must be unanimous consent before this motion can pass. I made a protest yesterday against this proposed adjournment. We have had almost a five weeks' adjournment, from April 17 to May 20, and I think that was sufficiently long for the members of this par-

liament who come here from all parts of this country from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from the northern parts of Ontario and Quebec and as far south as the international boundary, to do the business of this country. While of course it may be convenient for a few members of this house to have the house adjourn to-night so that they can go back to then-homes and their families, it is not quite fair to those of us who have to stay here in Ottawa right through to-morrow, Saturday and Sunday, and until the house meets again on Monday. It seems to me, sir, that under all the circumstances this motion should not carry.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT
CON

Mr. BENNETT:

Mr. Speaker, on page 7 of the orders of the day the notice of motion appears under government notices of motion, and I merely move it now as a matter of convenience. It does not require the unanimous consent of the house.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT

William Duff

Mr. DUFF:

Mr. Speaker, I say that yesterday it did not appear on the orders of the day but in the votes and proceedings, and under the rules the motion must be on the order paper forty-eight hours before we can dispose of it.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT
CON

Mr. BENNETT:

I gave verbal notice of it yesterday.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT
CON

Mr. BENNETT:

I think it is.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT
CON

Pierre Édouard Blondin (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I am of the opinion that it does require unanimous consent. Rule 45 says:

Forty-eight hours' notice shall be given of a motion for leave to present a bill, resolution or address,

and so forth, and:

Such notice shall be laid on the table before six o'clock p.m., and be printed in the votes and proceedings of that day.

That is, to-day, and therefore in my judgment the motion can only be moved by unanimous consent.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT

William Duff

Mr. DUFF:

If you will allow me, Mr. Speaker, perhaps the Prime Minister and I can make a compromise. I realize the heavy burden which he and other members of the house are carrying, although I do not place myself in that category, and in consideration of that and especially in view of the fact that I always thought a great deal of Queen Victoria, I am willing to waive my objection under certain conditions. We have been sitting in this parliament since January 17,

Industrial Disputes

less the five weeks' adjournment, and if the Prime Minister will be good enough to make a compromise with me and move that from next Wednesday until the close of this session we shall sit on Wednesday evenings I shall be very glad to withdraw my objection so that the holiday can be observed to-morrow.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT
CON

Mr. BENNETT:

I am sorry that I can agree to no condition of that character. If the hon. member persists in his objection, the motion will have to stand.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Leader of the Opposition):

May I say to the hon. member who has just spoken (Mr. Duff) that realizing the position of the ministry in connection with new legislation to be introduced and other matters to be considered, I felt that the government would probably be in the best position to know what would serve to expedite the business of the session and accordingly said the other day that I thought it could be left to the government to decide whether or not we would sit on Friday. I stated at that -time, I thought with the approval of hon. members, that whatever the government might decide would be acceptable to this side of the house. Under the circumstances I hope my hon. friend will see his way to agree with the motion and abide by the decision of the government.

Topic:   VICTORIA DAY ADJOURNMENT

Motion agreed to.

ABOLITION OF SALES TAX

On the order for motions: Mr. P. A. SEGUI.N (Translation) (L'As-somption-Montcalm): Mr. Speaker, I have the honour to lay on the table of the house resolutions from the municipal councils of various parishes of the riding of L'Assomp-tion-Montcalm, which I have the privilege to represent, requesting the abolition of the 6 per cent sales tax on vegetables canned by the farmers' cooperative societies carrying on no business other than the marketing of the products of their members. It is natural that, in these difficult times, the farming class should receive from the government all possible assistance. It is highly important that this tax on farm products be removed. These various resolutions have been adopted by the municipal councils of the parishes of St. Paul l'Ermite, Lachenaie, St. Roch de l'Achigan, Sainte-Marie-Salomee, Chertsey and St. Donat. They are addressed to the government, to the ministers and to the members of the House of Commons.

CON

Pierre Édouard Blondin (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Would the hon. member be good enough to let this matter stand until I have had an opportunity to look into it?

Topic:   ABOLITION OF SALES TAX