April 5, 1935

REVENUE POSTMASTERSHIPS

On the orders of the day:

CON

Arthur Sauvé (Postmaster General)

Hon. ARTHUR SAUVE (Postmaster General) :

In answer to the question asked by the member for Temiscouata (Mr. Pouliot), I table a document showing the permanent appointments to revenue postmasterships made between August 7, 1930, and February 28, 1935, by provinces and electoral districts; also a document showing the temporary appointments to revenue postmasterships during the same period. Owing to certain comments made by a member, I must give to the house the reason for the delay in answering the question. The compilation of the list of these appointments required the perusal of more than 4,300 records and more than 1,000 supplementary hours of work, 360 of which were outside the regular hours, at night, on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. To answer as quickly as possible we had to suspend in part the regular work and to get it up to date, will require extra hours of work.

Topic:   REVENUE POSTMASTERSHIPS

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

I thank the minister and I am delighted to see that at last he has waked up.

Topic:   REVENUE POSTMASTERSHIPS

EASTER ADJOURNMENT

On the orders of the day:

Right Hon. S@

Yesterday the leader of the opposition (Mr. Mackenzie King) inquired regarding the proposal of the government in respect of the adjournment of the house over Easter. The Prime Minister is making steady progress towards recovery. Yesterday he sat up for a time and I saw him afterwards and he looked exceedingly well. We all expect that he will be well enough to attend the ceremonies of the King's Jubilee in London on May 6. I am sure that everyone in this house and in the country would like to see Canada represented by the Prime Minister on that historic occasion. It is our intention to ask this house to consent to an adjournment until Monday, the 20th day of May, by which time-

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Oh!

Easter Adjournment

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT
CON

George Halsey Perley (Minister Without Portfolio)

Sir GEORGE PERLEY:

I quite realize that some hon. gentlemen would prefer to have the adjournment not so long, but under the circumstances I hope they will acquiesce, because by that time we expect the Prime Minister to be back in Canada and able to take up his duties again in this house. We certainly think it is very desirable that the Prime Minister should be here when parliament is prorogued. In the meantime it is our intention to get legislation prepared, based on the mass buying commission's report, which the chairman tells me is expected to be ready for presentation to the Minister of Trade and Commerce next Tuesday, and which we hope to be able to lay on the table of the house some day next week. There is also legislation which will be based on the report which it is hoped the housing committee will make next week too. Our purpose is to have that legislation prepared during the recess, so that when we come back we will be able to complete the session as quickly as possible, and I am sure every hon, member will like to see that done.

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT
CON

George Halsey Perley (Minister Without Portfolio)

Sir GEORGE PERLEY:

No; I am sure the legislation that will be introduced will be so satisfactory to the hon. gentleman that he will find himself unable to oppose it, in exactly the same way as he has found himself unable to oppose the legislation which has been brought in this session already.

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT
CON

George Halsey Perley (Minister Without Portfolio)

Sir GEORGE PERLEY:

We propose to submit to the house an estimate for the payment of the actual moving or transportation expenses and reasonable living expenses of the members in the same way as was done during the recess at the end of 1932. The Minister of Finance (Mr. Rhodes) proposes to include that in his supplementary estimates.

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT
CON

George Halsey Perley (Minister Without Portfolio)

Sir GEORGE PERLEY:

I am sorry to say that we cannot cover every case, and we propose to deal with the matter as has been done in other similar years.

With regard to the time when parliament will be able to adjourn for the Easter recess, I am unable to give my hon. friends opposite any better information than they have themselves in what was said yesterday. If we are to have this adjournment until May 20, we can adjourn at the convenience of hon. members on any day when business warrants.

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Leader of the Opposition):

It is unnecessary to say that we are greatly pleased to learn that the Prime Minister (Mr. Bennett) is making such a good recovery. I also think the house will be pleased to know the Prime Minister hopes to find it possible to be present at the silver jubilee ceremonies in London. The country will wish to be represented there at that time by him. But I am sorry to hear my right hon. friend say that he thinks it will be necessary to have such a long adjournment at the Easter season. May I say to the acting leader of the government that I think he has got along splendidly; we all seem to be managing very well with his colleagues and himself and we have got through a great deal of business. I see no reason why that happy condition of affairs should not continue with the acting leader in charge and without any loss to the Prime Minister or to the country. While it is of course most important that we should have the report of the price spreads commission and the legislation that is to be based thereon, and in addition the report of the housing committee, still I believe a recess of something like a week or ten days at Easter would be ample, and we might get under way with that legislation before the return of the Prime Minister from the conference in time to permit him to close the session as he will no doubt very much wish to do. But I feel a very strong protest ought to be made against adjourning for so long a time as until May 20, and tihat notwithstanding the compensation which the Minister of Finance (Mr. Rhodes) is going to give us all for expenses in going to and from our residences at that time.

The really serious part of the whole matter is that this unnecessary prolongation of the work of the session means a still further postponement of the date of the general election. There is no doubt in the world that until after there has been a general election, business will not begin to become normal, or a general revival take place. For that reason I wish to protest again at so long a delay at the Easter season.

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT
CON

George Halsey Perley (Minister Without Portfolio)

Sir GEORGE PERLEY:

I thought my right hon. friend might to some extent criticise the length of the adjournment; but might I say, when he suggests it would further postpone the date of the general election, he is entirely in error. The revision of the lists is now under way, and as soon as those lists are completed, we shall be able to have an election. Whether we sit in May or June will make no difference in the date.

Easter Adjournment

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

Can the right hon. gentleman say when we may expect to have the lists completed?

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT
CON

George Halsey Perley (Minister Without Portfolio)

Sir GEORGE PERLEY:

The Secretary of State (Mr. Cahan) will reply to that.

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT
CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. C. H. CAHAN (Secretary of State):

That will depend upon the number of alterations which are made in the lists as now printed and published. I cannot express an opinion as to the time it will take to make those corrections in the presently existing lists.

Topic:   EASTER ADJOURNMENT