I direct the attention of the hon. gentleman to the fact that the answer to this question is not within the power of the federal government. The trust companies and loan companies are operating in many instances under provincial charters, and it merely means that we should have to endeavour to secure the information, which I think we should not be asked to do; and the provisions as to audit by the
dominion are provided for in the statutes that we have ourselves enacted dealing with loan and trust companies, over which we have jurisdiction. I think the question should be dropped.
Subtopic: TRUST AND LOAN COMPANIES
Mr. LaVERGNE :
1. Has the government received any communication from the government of Saskatchewan or from any public bodies or individuals of that province, requesting that the French mottoes: "Dieu et mon droit" and "Honi soit qui mal y pense," be struck out of the royal coat of arms?
2. If so. were such recommendations submitted to His Majesty?
3. What answer, if any, was given by His Majesty?
Richard Bedford Bennett
(Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)
May I say that until I had seen this question, no suggestion even of what is indicated by the question had ever been brought to my attention. I have asked each of my colleagues accessible, and they tell me they are in exactly the same position as myself.
Subtopic: FRENCH MOTTOES ON ROYAL COAT OF ARMS
What was the value in the Canadian currency placed on the yen by the Department of National Revenue for duty purposes on goods coming into Canada from Japan during each month of the years 1932, 1933, and 1934?
Subtopic: CANABIAN VALUE OF JAPANESE YEN
1. In the agreements between federal government and the three prairie provincial governments, respectively, for the present year, what is the total amount of loans to each province therein provided for?
2. What is the total amount of federal loans forwarded to each such province up to June 1, 1934?
3. At the rate these loans have been going into Saskatchewan for the month of May, 1934 (pee filed loans in Votes and Proceedings), will the total amount allocated to Saskatchewan in the agreement above referred to take care of all urgent and estimated requirements throughout that province?