May 12, 1933

CON

Arthur Sauvé (Postmaster General)

Mr. SAUVE (Translation):

The hon. member should know that these figures refer to the service all over Canada, the changes-

Topic:   POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT
CON

Arthur Sauvé (Postmaster General)

Mr. SAUVE (Translation):

-deceases,

changes not connected with dismissals for political reasons.

Supply-Post Office-Outside Service

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT (Translation):

Well, sir, if there are so many postmasters that die, I shall be forced to conclude that all the Liberals are poisoned. I think, sir, that the hon. Postmaster General's reply is not satisfactory and is unworthy of a cabinet minister. I shall let those who heard the explanation given by the Postmaster General judge of their worth and shall not insist any further on the subject, because I do not wish to unduly delay the adoption of the estimates.

Mr. CHAIRMAN@Translation

Is the item carried?

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT (Translation):

No, no! I have still further questions to ask. I wish to inquire from the hon. Postmaster General whether he was acquainted with a person named Emile Bourre, an ex-employee of the post office, in Montreal, but superannuated in 1931, and to whom leave of absence, with full salary, was granted, before being superannuated.

Topic:   POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT
CON

Arthur Sauvé (Postmaster General)

Mr. SAUVE (Translation):

I am not personally acquainted with Mr. Bourre and I cannot answer this question the way it is put, I have not the details with me.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT (Translation):

I regret very much that the hon. Postmaster General has not the details with him because I am informed that Mr. Bourre bad a leave of absence for 720 days, with full salary, on the recommendation of the Deputy Postmaster General. I cannot vouch for the fact, I received the information through the mail. I cannot vouch for it as a fact. A letter received informs me that this chap was given 720 days leave of absence. He must be some kind of friend.

I have been requesting, sir, since April 19, from the hon. Postmaster General, the information which he gave me just now, be made a statement with reference to the dismissal of postmasters under various governments, he quietly passed over Louis Philippe Pelletier's mournful reign at the Post Office Department, when the guillotine was in constant motion.

Topic:   POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT
CON

Armand Renaud La Vergne (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

The CHAIRMAN (Translation):

The hon. member will have to restrict his remarks to the item under discussion.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT (Translation):

I am discussing it. I am asking the hon. Postmaster General to furnish me with certain information; it was the minister who set the example by quoting the number of dismissals since 1896.

CON

The CHAIRMAN (Translation):

I would request the hon. member to set the example.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT (Translation):

Certainly,

I am endeavouring, however, to nail the hon. Postmaster General to the discussion of the estimates such as they should be carried on. And when I inquired as to the dismissals of postmasters since August, 1930-the house having ordered the tabling of this information- his duty was to give the full information and there was no need of going back to 1896, while at the same time leaving a wide gap between 1911 and 1921. I have remained faithful to the great leader of the Liberal party, Sir Wilfrid Laurier, and I recall how he reprimanded the then Postmaster General in 1911.

CON

The CHAIRMAN (Translation):

We cannot discuss this evening, under item 272, the post office administration of Mr. Pelletier.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT (Translation):

Certainly,

and this is why: The Postmaster General made a statement-

CON

The CHAIRMAN (Translation):

The hon. member is out of order.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT (Translation):

I wonder why the chairman did not call the Postmaster General to order when he referred to the dismissals of 1896 to 1911?

CON

The CHAIRMAN (Translation):

I am not responsible for my actions to the hon. member.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT (Translation):

You are not responsible for your actions to me, sir; however, I think I am in order.

CON

The CHAIRMAN (Translation):

I would request the hon. member to adhere to the item under discussion.

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT (Translation):

I shall not further insist. I am not going to start a boxing match in the house.

May 12, 1933