November 22, 1932

William Daum Euler

Mr. EULER:

Could the minister give me

a reply to my second question, as to whether any advances have been made to other industries.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   ANGUS SHOPS, MONTREAL ADVANCES BY GOVERNMENT TO CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY
CON

Edgar Nelson Rhodes (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. RHODES:

That is the portion of the question which I would not wish to answer offhand; I would wish to verify it before answering.

Topic:   QUESTIONS

Joseph-Alexandre Mercier

Mr. J. A. MERCIER (Laurier-Outremont):

The Canadian Press has a dispatch this morning with reference to the Angus shops. Mr. Frank McKenna, general manager of Federal Shops Trades, says that the length of time during which the Angus shops will remain open must depend upon the nature of the arrangements between the Ottawa government and the company. Will the Minister of Finance, when replying tomorrow to my hon. friend, also give an answer to that statement which appears in the press.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
CON

Edgar Nelson Rhodes (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. RHODES:

I will take the notice of question as I read it in Hansard tomorrow, but as I understand the first portion of the question, it is not one that can be answered here; it would have to be answered by the railway company.

Topic:   QUESTIONS

Joseph-Alexandre Mercier

Mr. MERCIER (Laurier-Outremont):

The dispatch states that it depends on the nature of the arrangements between the Ottawa government and the company.

Topic:   QUESTIONS

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   QUESTIONS

SHIPMENT OF CANADIAN FRUIT

On the orders of the day:

William Alexander Fraser

Mr. W. A. FRASER (Northumberland):

May I ask the Minister of Trade and Commerce whether about one-third of a cargo of canned fruit loaded at St. Catharines on a Norwegian tramp was shipped from Medina, New York, and labelled with Canadian Canners labels, to be conveyed by that steamer to the British market.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   SHIPMENT OF CANADIAN FRUIT
CON

Henry Herbert Stevens (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Hon. H. H. STEVENS (Minister of Trade and Commerce):

That is not a question but a statement, and one which cannot be dealt with now under the circumstances. If the hon. member will address a question to me for information I will endeavour to get it.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   SHIPMENT OF CANADIAN FRUIT

BRIGHT FAN INQUIRY

On the orders of the day: Mr. CAMERON R. McINTOSH (North Battleford): I have a question to direct to the Prime Minister. May I ask the right hon. gentleman when he is going to give permission to the hon. member for Nelson to make good his statement that the British freighter the Bright Fan was deliberately sunk in Hudson Strait. Imperial Conference-

* COMMONS

-Trade Agreements

CON

Pierre Édouard Blondin (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

The hon. member knows that the question is out of order. He should not so continually infringe upon the rules of debate.

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   * COMMONS
CON

Pierre Édouard Blondin (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

The question is improper and is out of order.

Topic:   QUESTIONS