June 30, 1931

PRIVILEGE-MR. DUFF

William Duff

Mr. WILLIAM DUFF (Antigonish-Guys-borough):

On a question of privilege, I desire to refer for a few moments to an incident that occurred in the house last evening. During the speech which was being delivered by the Minister of Railways (Mr. Manion), there were some interruptions, and during those interruptions you, Mr. Speaker, made the following remarks as reported in Hansard:

Mr Speaker: I would ask hon. gentlemen to

desist trom loud remarks and interruptions while the minister is speaking. He has only ten minutes left, and a member cannot present his case when lie is continually interrupted.

I interjected this remark:

Mr. Duff: Especially when they are speaking

from the other side.

You, sir, then said:

Mr. Speaker: I resent that. The hon. member has no right to make any such statement.

Then a little further on the Prime Minister (Mr. Bennett) rose in his place and suggested that I should withdraw the observation which

I had just made. My reply to him was that I had heard the Prime Minister do the same thing that I had done, reflect on the Speaker. May I say to you, sir, and to the house that in my sixteen sessions in parliament I have always endeavoured to abide by and obey the rules of the house. Of course I do not pretend to be superhuman and I am liable to make mistakes, but may I assure you, sir, that in my first remarks, to which perhaps you had a right to object and to construe in a sense that was not intended, I did not mean to reflect in any way upon you, as Speaker of the house, when I interjected the remark:

Especially when they are speaking from the other side.

My last remark to the Prime Minister, where I ended up by saying "reflect on the Speaker," may be considered a reflection upon the chair and upon you. If in your opinion I have made any reflection upon you, the chair or the house, I gladly and willingly withdraw any remarks which might reflect upon the House of Commons, the chair or yourself.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. DUFF

NATURALIZATION ACT AMENDMENT

Hon. C. H. CAHAN (Secretary- of State) presented the report of the special committee to which was referred Bill No. 3, to amend the Naturalization Act. He said: The report was unanimous.

BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE

SUSPENSION OF RULES TO FACILITATE CONSIDERATION OF PRIVATE BILLS FORTHWITH

CON

Thomas Hubert Stinson

Mr. T. H. STINSON (Victoria, Onit.):

With the unanimous consent of the house I desire to move:

That for the remaining period of the present session all private bills ready for presentation be read a first and second time and referred forthwith, and also that standing order 105 respecting the posting of all private bills referred to committees of the house be suspended.

Topic:   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE
Subtopic:   SUSPENSION OF RULES TO FACILITATE CONSIDERATION OF PRIVATE BILLS FORTHWITH

Motion agreed to.

PROCEDURE RESPECTING GOVERNMENT ORDERS

CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Prime Minister; Minister of Finance and Receiver General; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Right Hon. R. B. BENNETT (Prime Minister) :

As regards the government notice of

motion standing in my name in connection with the Statute of Westminster, in view of what was said last evening that we dispose of order No. 27 for the second reading of Bill No. 47, to provide for the appointment of a Tariff Board, and then proceed with the government notice of motion. Perhaps we had better first dispose of order No. 27 and

Tariff Board-Mr. Bennett

then revert to government notices of motion. That is what we intimated at the close of last evening's business we would do.

Topic:   PROCEDURE RESPECTING GOVERNMENT ORDERS

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

Calling the

orders of the day first?

Topic:   PROCEDURE RESPECTING GOVERNMENT ORDERS
CON

Mr. BENNETT:

Of course.

Topic:   PROCEDURE RESPECTING GOVERNMENT ORDERS

UNEMPLOYMENT SITUATION

On the orders of the day:

Thomas F. Donnelly

Mr. T. F. DONNELLY (Willow Bunch):

I should like to ask a question of the Prime Minister or the Acting Minister of Labour. Are they now in a position to give an outline of their scheme for the relief of people in western Canada who are in great distress and want? I am moved to ask this question in view of the number of letters and telegrams which I am receiving daily from my district. I will read just one short telegram which I received this morning, giving some idea of the condition that exists in the west. This is from Rockglen, Saskatchewan, under date of June 29, and is addressed to me at the House of Commons, Ottawa:

Fifteen families from Coal Creek colony are starving and request your investigation. Letter and details following.

William Griffin, chairman, Representatives Coal Creek colony.

I can read other letters showing that 98 per cent of the people in some of our municipalities are at the present time living on and taking relief from the municipalities and that the municipalities are to-day at the end of their resources and unable to furnish any kind of relief to these people. The conditions are appalling. It is absolutely necessary that something be done, and be done at once, if these people are to be kept from starving.

Topic:   UNEMPLOYMENT SITUATION
CON

Right Hon. R. B. BENNETT (Prime Minister):

The hon. gentleman knows perhaps quite as well as any other hon. member of this house that the primary responsibility with respect to caring for the citizenry of a province who are without food rests with the municipal authorities and the province.

Topic:   UNEMPLOYMENT SITUATION
CON

Mr. BENNETT:

Then have they made

appeal to the province? For as has been very often pointed out and is generally recognized, the duty rests primarily with the municipalities and with the province, and not with this parliament of the dominion. We have said, and we propose to continue to say, to the province that if the situation is as acute as the hon. gentleman indicates we will cooperate with them in any effort that may be necessary to deal with the situation. I saw the premiers

of two of the western provinces the other day. They were here for a day. They went away and came back again, and I saw them again. They are taking, as is their duty, an inventory of the very situation which the hon. gentleman has mentioned. I too have received many communications, many more than my hon. friend has, with respect to that whole loss of crop for three successive years in a great portion of the province of Saskatchewan. Obviously any statement that I would make on behalf of the Dominion government would have to be made after the provinces had thoroughly canvassed the situation, and when they were aware of just what had to be done, and were in a position to state in what manner we might assist them, for it would toe an intrusion into their affairs for the Dominion primarily to act in the situation. Nolt only would it be an intrusion, but one that might be resented, for already one of the provinces has stated that the government does not desire any assistance from the Dominion with respect to unemployment. This situation is not unemployment. It is far worse. It is a national calamity, in my judgment, if the information I receive is accurate, and to the extent that our services and assistance may be acceptable, within reasonable limitations, to the provinces affected, they will be available.

Topic:   UNEMPLOYMENT SITUATION