May 29, 1931

CON

Robert Weir (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. WEIR (Melfort):

He did not state that.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Charles-Philippe Beaubien

Mr. BEAUBIEN:

Let me repeat his

words:

I made the statement that the figures were changed in the year 1929 just previous to the elections, and I am prepared to substantiate that statement.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Robert Weir (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. WEIR (Melfort):

He did not say that the minister changed the system.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Charles-Philippe Beaubien

Air. BEAUBIEN:

Never mind the statement; the inference is just as bad as the statement. Beyond a question of a doubt, there is an insinuation. I ask hon. members why the election was mentioned; why did the hon. member for South Hastings mention the election? He has inferred that, in 1929, a few months before the election, the exMinister of Agriculture changed these figures. Why would he mention the election if he had not been trying to get votes by saying to the public that the production of milk was greater than it actually was. No other inference can be drawn from the remarks of the hon. member.

William Richard Motherwell

Mr. MOTHERWELL:

And it was not the Department of Agriculture which changed the figures; it was another department.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Charles-Philippe Beaubien

Mr. BEAUBIEN:

Further on the hon. member for South Hastings makes the following statement:

In 1929, a year before the last federal election a new method of reckoning the production ol milk was instituted.

CON
CON

Charles-Philippe Beaubien

Air. BEAUBIEN:

Nothing that I know of; I think the statement is as plain as anybody could make it.

William Richard Motherwell

Air. AIOTHERWELL:

Except that it did not refer to the Department of Agriculture; the Department of Agriculture did not make the change. As I understand the situation the Department of Trade and Commerce made it.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Charles-Philippe Beaubien

Mr. BEAUBIEN:

My contention is that the inference from the statement is as bad as the statement itself; I do not like the impression it leaves.

Some hon. A1EMBERS: Oh, oh.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Charles-Philippe Beaubien

Mr. BEAUBIEN:

The Minister of Agriculture has admitted that the figures produced by the hon. member for Melville, the former Minister of Agriculture, are correct. He admits also that the figures I quoted are correct. If he admits these two statements he can do nothing else but say that the figures quoted by the hon. member for South Hastings were not according to the facts.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Robert Weir (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. WEIR (Melfort):

Absolutely not, he was quoting from the bureau of agricultural statistics, and I believe he quoted accurately.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Charles-Philippe Beaubien

Mr. BEAUBIEN:

I am not trying to draw a red herring across the trail, but I want to get from the minister-and he has admitted it-

CON
CON

Charles-Philippe Beaubien

Mr. BEAUBIEN:

Admitted that the figures hon. members on this side of the house quoted are correct.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Robert Weir (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. WEIR (Melfort):

I will also say that the figures quoted on this side of the house are correct.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Charles-Philippe Beaubien

Mr. BEAUBIEN:

So far as the bureau of statistics can gather them they are correct. I was interested in the remarks of the hon. member for Queens (Mr. Myers). I made the statement last night and repeat it today-

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

Edmond Baird Ryckman (Minister of National Revenue)

Mr. RYCKMAN:

Why does not the hon. member proceed further with the matter. He has read very emphatically the statement contained at page 2050 of Hansard where the hon. member for South Hastings said:

I made the statement that the figures were changed in the year 1929 just previous to the elections and I am prepared to substantiate that statement.

Aly hon. friends have forgotten that at page 2066 of Hansard, the hon. member for South Hastings said:

The hon. ex-Alinister of Agriculture seems to think that I did not substantiate my figures. I hold in my hand the monthly bulletin of agricultural statistics for the Dominion of Canada as issued by the Dominion Bureau of Statistics, and this is the source of my information. Let me say to the hon. gentleman, if he is not aware of it, that the dairy and

Supply-Agriculture-Dairying

cold storage branch depend on the bureau of statistics for figures of the total production of milk in Canada. I repeat, the figure based on the records of the total production of milk changed in 1929, and if he will go back over the reports he will find that to be the case.

Now, what does he say? He says, "I am not blaming him or the department of which he was the head. Not at all." Everybody heard that.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
CON

May 29, 1931