March 24, 1931

PENSION EXAMINER AT SASKATOON

On the orders of the day:

John Vallance

Mr. JOHN VALLANCE (South Battle-ford) :

I would ask the Minister of Pensions

(Mr. MacLaren) if he is now in a position to give us a definite answer with regard to the telegram I read in the house yesterday. Many of us who come from around Saskatoon are receiving a great many telegrams of this nature. The minister stated yesterday that the rumour was not correct. Is he now in a position to say definitely that Dr. Cox will not be dismissed?

Topic:   PENSION EXAMINER AT SASKATOON
CON

Murray MacLaren (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Hon. MURRAY MacLAREN (Minister of Pensions and National Health):

I do not

know anything about the rumour, but I do know the facts.

Topic:   PENSION EXAMINER AT SASKATOON
CON

Murray MacLaren (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. MacLAREN:

I cannot speak for the rumours. I presume that rumours do exist, because my hon. friend has had a telegram regarding a rumour. I say that the facts do not justify the rumour. The dismissal is not under consideration.

Topic:   PENSION EXAMINER AT SASKATOON

WINNIPEG VETCRAFT SHOP

On the orders of the day:

John Power Howden

Mr. J. P. HOWDEN (St. Boniface):

The vetcraft shop in Winnipeg was burned down in June, 1930. The employees of that establishment were given to understand that it

would be rebuilt by August of that year. It was pointed out to them that as this was not a political matter but was entirely under the control of the Civil Service Commission, there would be no difficulty. As yet there has been no sign of any step being taken towards the rebuilding of this institution. I would ask the Minister of Pensions and National Health (Mr. MacLaren) if he is aware of the facts in this case, and if there is to his knowledge anything that is holding up the reconstruction of this institution.

Topic:   WINNIPEG VETCRAFT SHOP
CON

Murray MacLaren (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Hon. MURRAY MacLAREN (Minister of Pensions and National Health):

So far as I

am aware, there was no such assurance given, nor do I know that there was any expectation held out as to the reconstruction of that building. There was, however, certain compensation paid to the workers there-two months' pay, I believe, was allowed-in view of their being unexpectedly deprived of employment.

Topic:   WINNIPEG VETCRAFT SHOP

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   WINNIPEG VETCRAFT SHOP
CON

Murray MacLaren (Minister of Pensions and National Health)

Mr. MacLAREN:

I am willing to answer the question.

Topic:   WINNIPEG VETCRAFT SHOP

John Power Howden

Mr. HOWDEN:

If the minister is ready

to answer the question, as we are receiving letters from these people and wish to reply to them, I would like to know if I am to understand that this building will not be reconstructed.

Topic:   WINNIPEG VETCRAFT SHOP

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   WINNIPEG VETCRAFT SHOP

SPEECH FROM THE THRONE

CONTINUATION OF DEBATE ON THE ADDRESS IN REPLY

The house resumed from Monday, March 23, consideration of the motion of Mr. Max D. Cormier for an address to His Excellency the Administrator in reply to his speech at the opening of the session, and the proposed amendment thereto of Mr. Mackenzie King.

CON

Walter Davy Cowan

Mr. W. D. COWTAN (Long Lake):

For

eight years or thereabouts, Mr. Speaker, the Liberals of this house from the province of Saskatchewan have been having just one whale of a good time. Not only that, 'but their followers out in Saskatchewan have also taken up their cry and have elaborated upon it so that they also have been having a whale of a good time. It is the same old story-when the cat is away the mice will play. Those who have been in this house know that there have been no Conservatives here from Saskatchewan for some time, and consequently there was nobody on the Conservative benches to

The Address-Mr. Cowan (Long Lake)

keep our Liberal friends on the straight and narrow path. They wandered and wandered and wandered, and they have not stopped wandering yet. What they have told the people about Saskatchewan is simply amazing, astounding. You cannot wonder at the frame of mind of the people of Canada towards Saskatchewan after what the Liberal members from Saskatchewan have been saying about our province. But, Mr. Speaker, times have changed. The miany false and misleading statements which have been made and elaborated upon regarding Saskatchewan, I am sorry to say have caused many in Canada to believe that the people out in Saskatchewan were secessionists, socialists, bolshevists, communists, almost anarchists. If there are any other "ists" I do not know, but if you have any, Mr. Hansard reporter please stick them in because I mean them all. The people of Canada have received an entirely wrong impression of the people of Saskatchewan because of this propaganda which has been carried on and which has been entirely misleading. We now have in this house some Conservative members from the province of Saskatchewan, and I may have something to say to my hon. friends opposite from that province. I will speak for myself; I am going to address my remarks entirely to the Saskatchewan members on the Liberal side of the house. I am going to concentrate upon them until we get them back into their own trenches, and soon it will not be long until they are back into their own safety dug-outs, to stay there. I hope that in so doing I shall not be considered parochial. In Saskatchewan we are as broad in our conception of Canada as Canadians anywhere else, but after eight years of misleading propaganda as to conditions in our province, we are going to concentrate on the authors of that propaganda until the enemy is licked. I am delighted beyond measure with the change of policies and methods of administration adopted by our present Minister of Agriculture (Mr. Weir).

Topic:   SPEECH FROM THE THRONE