April 3, 1930

CON

Robert King Anderson

Mr. R. K. ANDERSON (Halton):

Mr. Speaker, I would like to inquire of the Minister of Marine and Fisheries (Mr. Cardin) when I may expect an answer to my question regarding the number of vessels in the Canadian Government Merchant Marine employed in trade between Canada and Australia and between Canada and New Zealand.

Subtopic:   CANADIAN GOVERNMENT MERCHANT MARINE

Pierre-Joseph-Arthur Cardin (Minister of Marine and Fisheries)

Mr. CARDIN:

If the hon. member's question relates to the merchant marine, it should be directed to the Minister of Railways and Canals (Mr. Crerar).

Subtopic:   CANADIAN GOVERNMENT MERCHANT MARINE
CON

Robert King Anderson

Mr. ANDERSON (Halton):

It is question No. 3 on the order paper.

Subtopic:   CANADIAN GOVERNMENT MERCHANT MARINE

CORRECTION-HON. MR. STEWART

Charles A. Stewart (Minister of Immigration and Colonization; Superintendent-General of Indian Affairs; Minister of Mines; Minister of the Interior)

Hon. CHARLES STEWART (Minister of the Interior):

Mr. Speaker, referring to page 1090 of Hansard, I would like to correct a reply I gave to a question of the hon. member for South Wellington (Mr. Guthrie). The hon. member asked a question regarding

a ruling which had been made with reference to the territory under discussion, and I stated:

They are assumed to be British subjects. As my hon. friend knows, we have taken over the control of the territory, which control has not been disputed in any particular except with respect to one small portion. The Danish government have presented a claim based upon the explorations made by Otto Sverdrup, and at the present time we are endeavouring to settle that claim.

I should have stated that it was the Norwegian government which was making the claim. The same correction should be made on page 1101, it should be the Norwegian government instead of the Danish government.

Subtopic:   CORRECTION-HON. MR. STEWART

INQUIRIES FOR RETURNS

On the orders of the day.

UFA

Donald Ferdinand Kellner

United Farmers of Alberta

Mr. D. F. KELLNER (Athabaska):

Mr. Speaker, my question regarding the immigration expenditures since 1922 was passed as an order for return on March 5, and I would like to ask the minister when this return will be brought down.

Subtopic:   INQUIRIES FOR RETURNS
Sub-subtopic:   IMMIGRATION EXPENDITURES

Hon. CHARLES STEWART (Minister of the Interior):

I will bring the matter to the

attention of the officials of the department and ask them to bring down the return as

soon as possible.

Subtopic:   INQUIRIES FOR RETURNS
Sub-subtopic:   IMMIGRATION EXPENDITURES

POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT

CON

Milton Edgar Maybee

Mr. M. E. MAYBEE (Northumberland, Ont.):

I would like to ask the Postmaster

General when the answer to my question which was passed as an order for return in regard to the Post Office Department will be brought down?

Subtopic:   POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT

Peter John Veniot (Postmaster General)

Hon. P. J. VENIOT (Postmaster General):

If I knew to what particular question the hon. gentleman referred I could answer now. However, I shall have officials of the Post Office Department look into the matter.

Subtopic:   POST OFFICE DEPARTMENT

IMPERIAL TREATIES AND STATUTES

CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Mr. C. H. CAHAN (St. Lawrence-St. George):

I would like to ask the Prime

Minister whether he cannot bring down in the next ten days the return, either wholly or partly prepared, which was ordered at the last session of the house, with respect to Imperial treaties and statutes which affect Canada.

Subtopic:   IMPERIAL TREATIES AND STATUTES

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I shall be pleased to inquire at once as to what condition the return is in and to do my utmost to have the request of my hon. friend met.

Unemployment-Mr. McIntosh

Subtopic:   IMPERIAL TREATIES AND STATUTES

BUBAL MAIL ROUTES

CON

Thomas Hubert Stinson

Mr. T. H. STINSON (Victoria, Ont.):

On the 10th March, an order of the house was passed for a return in connection with rural mail routes in Canada. I should like to know from the Postmaster General when that return will be brought down.

Subtopic:   BUBAL MAIL ROUTES

Peter John Veniot (Postmaster General)

Hon. P. J. VENIOT (Postmaster General):

I gave the answer yesterday. So far as I can find out it will be ready for Monday. I am trying to have it ready for to-morrow, but it will be ready not later than Monday. It is quite a voluminous piece of work and it requires a great deal of extra time to prepare it.

Subtopic:   BUBAL MAIL ROUTES

JACK MINER BIRD SANCTUARY

On the orders of the day:

April 3, 1930