L What work is the Soldier Settlement Board performing?
2. Has a report been recently made on the Soldier Settlement Board?
3. If so, has not the work been satisfactorily performed by the present staff?
4. How long has the present staff been employed ?
5. Is it the intention of the government to retain the services of the present staff?
6. Is it the intention of the government during the present session to place the employees of that board on the same basis as permanent members of the civil service and to provide for them the benefits of the Civil Service Act?
Mr. STEWART (Edmonton) for Minister of National Defence:
1. The Soldier Settlement Board is administering the Soldier Settlement Act; the 3,000 British family settlement scheme; the 500 New Brunswick family settlement scheme, and gives aftercare to certain classes of assisted migrants and does such other colonization work as called upon by the Department of Immigration and Colonization.
2. Yes-by the Audit Board of Canada.
4. The majority of staff from 10 to 12 years.
5. As long as may be necessary.
6. Under consideration.
Subtopic: SOLDIER SETTLEMENT BOARD