February 22, 1929

PRO

John Evans

Progressive

Mr. JOHN EVANS (Rosetown):

In view of many letters having come to hand of the nature of the one described by the hon. member for East Calgary (Mr. Adshead) regarding clearances of vessels carrying contraband liquor to the United States, I would like to ask the Pime Minister or the Minister of National Revenue whether he has any statement to make?

Topic:   EXPORT OF LIQUOR TO THE UNITED STATES

William Daum Euler (Minister of National Revenue)

Hon. W. D. EULER (Minister of National Revenue):

A reply was made yesterday to a

similar question. It appears in Hansard.

Topic:   EXPORT OF LIQUOR TO THE UNITED STATES

CANADIAN COPYRIGHT

On the orders of the day:

CON

Leon Johnson Ladner

Mr. L. J. LADNER (Vancouver South):

I would like to ask the Secretary of State a question. Is it the intention of the government to correct by legislation the anomalous situation of Canada, which as a party to the re-

vised Berne convention, has pledged her word to protect the Canadian copyrights of unionist foreign authors just as Canadian rights are protected in unionist foreign countries, and yet by legislation and by an order in council No. 893 passed in May, 1927, Canada has nullified the spirit and word of her signed pledge.

This fact has been made clear by a recent decision-1st of Feb. 1929-of the judicial committee of the Privy Council of Great Britain, affirming the decisions of the Canadian courts.

Canada, since that decision, is in the position of being in default in her undertakings to ihe other nations, unless something is done immediately.

Topic:   CANADIAN COPYRIGHT

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

Is this a question the hon. gentleman is asking?

Topic:   CANADIAN COPYRIGHT
CON

Leon Johnson Ladner

Mr. LADNER:

It is a question and I think the minister is prepared to answer it.

Topic:   CANADIAN COPYRIGHT
CON

Louis Édouard Fernand Rinfret (Secretary of State of Canada)

Hon. FERNAND RINFRET (Secretary of State):

The hon. gentleman was kind enough to advise me that he would put that question on the orders of the day. I am prepared to state in reply that I have now before me a copy of the judgment to which he has alluded. It is a judgment of the Privy Council interpreting section 39 of the old act, which is section 40 of the act in the revised statutes of 1927 concerning registration of copyright. We are considering what amendments, if any, should be made to the act to bring it into conformity with the provisions of the recent conference at Rome. I may assure my hon. friend that all these matters are receiving the immediate attention iof the department.

Topic:   CANADIAN COPYRIGHT

SASKATCHEWAN GRAIN INQUIRY COMMISSION

On the orders of the day:

LIB-PRO

John Millar

Liberal Progressive

Mr. JOHN MILLAR (Qu'Appelle):

The Minister of Trade and Commerce being in his seat to-day, I would repeat the question I asked yesterday. Has his department received from the Saskatchewan government or any other source information relative to the time when the Saskatchewan royal grain inquiry commission may issue a report?

Hon. JAMES MALCOLM (Minister of

Trade and Commerce): I can answer my hon.

International Peace-Mr. Cahan

friend by saying that we have no information in any form from the Saskatchewan government as to the inquiry.

IMPORTATION OF RUSSIAN COAL On the orders of the day:

Topic:   SASKATCHEWAN GRAIN INQUIRY COMMISSION
CON

Thomas Cantley

Mr. THOMAS CANTLEY (Pictou):

I would like to direct a question to the Minister of Mines, based on a telegram which I have in my hand, in regard to the importation of large quantities of Russian coal into Canada through the ports of Montreal and Portland. A large cargo came up to Montreal just before the close of navigation; several cargoes have reached the port of Portland and are now being transported to Montreal. A cargo is just being landed and another is momentarily expected. I would ask the minister if is aware of the fact and what he proposes to do about it?

Topic:   SASKATCHEWAN GRAIN INQUIRY COMMISSION

Charles A. Stewart (Superintendent-General of Indian Affairs; Minister of Mines; Minister of the Interior)

Hon. CHARLES STEWART (Minister of Mines):

I am not aware of the facts, but I will make inquiry and answer my hon. friend next week.

INQUIRY FOR RETURN On the orders of the day:

Topic:   SASKATCHEWAN GRAIN INQUIRY COMMISSION

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

The hon. member for Queens-Lunenburg (Mr. Ernst) inquired the other day as to a return that was ordered on March 12 last. I promised that I would look into the matter and let him have a reply. I find that the return was presented to the house on the eighth June last.

Topic:   SASKATCHEWAN GRAIN INQUIRY COMMISSION
CON

William Gordon Ernst

Mr. W. G. ERNST (Queens-Lunenburg):

I did not have any notice.

LAFONTAINE MONUMENT On the orders of the day:

Topic:   SASKATCHEWAN GRAIN INQUIRY COMMISSION

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. J. F. POULIOT (Temiscouata):

Is it the intention of the government to contribute something towards the erection in Montreal, the seat of government for a time, of a monument to the memory of Sir Louis Hyppolite Lafontaine, the father of responsible government in Canada?

Topic:   SASKATCHEWAN GRAIN INQUIRY COMMISSION

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

There is a monuments

committee which has, I believe, to do with matters of this kind, but in any case the intention of the government will have to be made known in the estimates.

RELATIONS WITH SOVIET'RUSSIA On the orders of the day:

Topic:   SASKATCHEWAN GRAIN INQUIRY COMMISSION
LAB

James Shaver Woodsworth

Labour

Mr. J. S. WOODSWORTH (Winnipeg North-Centre):

In view of the favourable

reports of Colonel H. J. Mackie and others regarding conditions in Russia, is the government taking any steps towards renewing relations between Canada and Soviet Russia?

Topic:   SASKATCHEWAN GRAIN INQUIRY COMMISSION