March 6, 1928

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

Let me quote the report :

The evidence before the conference, which is contained in the documentation or in the statements made by the members of the conference, shows that the recovery from the effects of the war has been unduly delayed and that the foreign commerce of all nations is in greater or less degree seriously hampered by existing obstacles to trade.

The conference notes with satisfaction that some of the most injurious forms of obstruction that prevailed immediately after the war have been removed. To this fact must be attributed in part the recovery of world trade which has so far been achieved.

Tariffs, on the other hand, which in recent years have shown a tendency to rise, are for the most part higher than before the war, and are at present one of the chief barriers to trade. The increase in most countries is almost wholly due to higher duties on manufactured articles.

The Budget-Mr. Lapointe

Further, the report states:

The conference recognize that the removal or substantial reduction of customs barriers cannot be brought about suddenly without causing dislocation but it is of opinion that governments should immediately prepare plans for removing or diminishing by successive stages those barriers that gravely hamper trade, starting with those duties which have been imposed to counteract the effect of disturbances that are now past.

In conclusion the conference recommends:

(1) That nations should take steps forthwith to remove or diminish those tariff barriers that gravely hamper trade, starting with those which have been imposed to counteract the effects of disturbances raising out of the War.

(2) That states should proceed to the conclusion of commercial treaties on lines and Tinder conditions calculated to ensure the attainment of the aims mentioned herein.

I read the speech of one of the German delegates who stated emphatically that economic troubles have been the cause of wars in many instances and that blood has been shed throughout the world because gentlemen wanted to have their high dividends kept and preserved.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE
CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Mr. CAHAN:

That has always been the German excuse for war.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

I beg my hon. friend's pardon; I will refer to him in a moment. The recommendation of the conference was submitted at the last assembly of the League of Nations in 1927 and unanimously adopted, and there the Canadian delegate could rise proudly and declare that Canada was the only nation that had anticipated that report.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE
CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Mr. CAHAN:

The hon. gentleman has never had the courage to-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

I have so much affection for my hon. friend that I should be sorry to excite his ire in any way whatever.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE
CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Mr. CAHAN:

-to submit these things to parliament for its consideration, instead of concealing them behind the back of parliament.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

If my hon. friend desires to make a speech, if he thinks it will conduce to proper parliamentary procedure, let him do so.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE
CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Mr. CAHAN:

I was merely replying to the hon. gentleman's comment upon my assertion-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE
CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Mr. CAHAN:

I say, he has never had the courage to submit to parliament the findings [DOT]of the conference.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

I am pleased at this manifestation on the part of my hon. friend. Let me tell him that in this, as in other matters, Canada has taken the leadership and we are not ashamed of the fact.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE
CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Mr. CAHAN:

You never-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

Canada has taken the leadership, I say, in many directions-for instance, in instituting the International Joint Waterways Commission, where the grievances and the troubles arising between two neighbouring countries can be adjusted peaceably. Canada has taken the leadership in many other ways. There are hon. gentlemen who think that we should be riveted to the past. My hon. friend said the other day that the Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King) and the Minister of Finance (Mr. Robb) were intellectually incapable of seizing his point. Well, I know that my hon. friend has great intellectual ability and I admire him. But unfortunately on some questions he is a Tory of the worst kind, rooted in the past, and if I could be instrumental in uprooting him I would feel that I had rendered valuable service to my country. Speaking on the address the hon. gentleman referred to certain imperial legislation with reference to the merchant marine, the Admiralty Act and other laws, and he said: " Gentlemen on the other side want this legislation removed; but what will take the place of these laws?" Mr. Speaker, let me tell my hon. friend that their place will be taken by Canadian legislation, by Canadian laws enacted by Canadian public men and carried out by Canadian public officials for the protection of Canadians.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

With the Canadian navy,

I suppose.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

My hon. friend, too, is

interrupting me. I am sorry my time is drawing to a close, but my hon. friend made certain remarks in a speech in Montreal on Saturday and I should like to discuss them for a moment. He stated, as reported in the Montreal Standard:

Take iron and steel with the vast deposits in this country. When this present government came into power we bought only 37 per cent of our iron and steel. Now plants were closed down and men who should be employed were workless because we bought elsewhere. In agricultural implements Canadians who should be working making them here were working elsewhere and we were importing more and more of these implements. What should be done?

Well, Mr. Speaker, I think that the first thing that should be done should be to relate

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

The Budget-Mr. Lapointe

the facts as they are. The Conservatives went out of power in 1921. The first Liberal budget came down in May 1922. The fiscal year, ending March 31st of that year, was the last year in which Conservative fiscal policies were enforced. My hon. friend ought to give statistics to these Conservative women in Montreal.

Subtopic:   DEBATE ON ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF MINISTER OF FINANCE
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

I will give them in this house.

Joseph Philippe Baby Casgrain

Mr. CASGRAIN:

He paid them compliments.

March 6, 1928