March 6, 1928

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

My hon. friend is not

serious.

LIB-PRO

Robert Forke (Minister of Immigration and Colonization)

Liberal Progressive

Mr. FORKE:

As a matter of privilege, I rise to ask if this is to be the last word on the subject. Have I no right to reply to the statements made by the hon. gentleman?

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

There is no debate on

a question of privilege, but, of course, if the hon. gentleman rises to a question of privilege he can be heard at any time.

LIB-PRO

Robert Forke (Minister of Immigration and Colonization)

Liberal Progressive

Mr. FORKE:

I repeat again on a question of privilege that the hon. member for Frontenac-Addington has made a complete

mis-statement of the facts.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

He read from the document you took.

LIB-PRO

Robert Forke (Minister of Immigration and Colonization)

Liberal Progressive

Mr. FORKE :

Shall I say the statements

are true-

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

Certainly they are true.

Mr. FORKE -when I know they are a mis-statement of the facts? I cannot see where I am wrong. My character to a certain extent is at stake in regard to the statements that have been made. My friends in the other corner of the house know exactly what took place and I put it to them -to any member over there, to get on his

Privilege-Mr. Church

feet and say that a resolution was passed instructing me to take certain proceedings with the Governor General.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

That is not what was

said.

LIB-PRO

Robert Forke (Minister of Immigration and Colonization)

Liberal Progressive

Mr. FORKE:

I hope my hon. friend the

leader of the opposition (Mr. Bennett) wants to see justice done in this matter.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

Hear, hear.

LIB-PRO

Robert Forke (Minister of Immigration and Colonization)

Liberal Progressive

Mr. FORKE:

I 'hope he is not holding a

brief for anybody. I may say that during the last election a four-page pamphlet was published headed, "Forke double-crosses Mr. Meighen. He double-crossed1 the Governor General."

CON

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS (Frontenac):

If you want it, you can have it. You are not going to have it all your own way.

Topic:   AGRICULTURE AND COLONIZATION

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. The name of the

Governor General must not be introduced into the debate. We have had personal explanations from both hon. members, and the house can judge of the matter. I regard the incident as closed.

PRIVILEGE-MR. CHURCH

On the orders of the day:

CON

Thomas Langton Church

Mr. T. L. CHURCH (Toronto Northwest):

I rise to a question of privilege. I wish to call the attention of the house to an editorial in the Orange Sentinel of March 1st on the Mexican question, stating that I was ill-advised to press a vote. I do not know whether anyone ever reads that paper or not-I do not very much-but this editorial, which I am not allowed to read, refers to my motion regarding the Mexico question. Might I say in reply that I had one motion on the order paper, and had I put my other motion on the order paper it would have gone to the bottom of the list, with thirty-seven others ahead of it, and would not have come up again this session. The hon. member for Toronto West Centre (Mr. Hocken) is an expert at the hit-and-run game-

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. CHURCH

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. On no question

of privilege and on no other question is an hon. gentleman allowed to attack another hon. gentleman.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. CHURCH