February 29, 1928

Charles A. Stewart (Superintendent-General of Indian Affairs; Minister of Mines; Minister of the Interior)

Mr. STEWART (Edmonton):

As the minister who furnished the answer, speaking for the federal government-

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. ESLING
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

It is not concluded then?

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. ESLING

Mr. STEWART (Edmonton):

-I say the answer I gave is in accordance with the facts.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. ESLING
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

That is what is wanted.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. ESLING

James Horace King (Minister of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment; Minister presiding over the Department of Health)

Hon. J. H. KING (Minister of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment):

Just because I happen to be the minister from British Columbia, and knowing that my hon. friend from West Kootenay (Mr. Esling) has directed his question at me, I would say for his information

Questions

and that of the house that there were conferences between myself representing the federal government and the Minister of Public Works in the province of British Columbia.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. ESLING
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

Mr. Speaker, the discussion that is taking place now is wholly out of order.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. ESLING

John Warwick King

Mr. KING (Kootenay):

I think I have the right to answer.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. ESLING

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. There is nothing before the house so far, and my ruling is that according to the authorities there is no question of privilege involved.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. ESLING

TARIFF ADVISORY BOARD

SEASONABLE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE TARIFF INQUIRY

James Alexander Robb (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. J. A. ROBB (Minister of Finance):

Yesterday the hon. leader of the opposition (Mr. Bennett) asked for the evidence taken by the tariff advisory board in the fruit and vegetable inquiry. The hearing of this application has not yet been completed, but I have copies of the evidence taken by the board in the last three hearings which I now table.

Topic:   TARIFF ADVISORY BOARD
Subtopic:   SEASONABLE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE TARIFF INQUIRY
CON

Richard Bedford Bennett (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BENNETT:

Thank you.

Topic:   TARIFF ADVISORY BOARD
Subtopic:   SEASONABLE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE TARIFF INQUIRY

JOINT COMMITTEE ON PRINTING

of public money, I presume that it should be preceded by a resolution, and I therefore ask that this order be dropped. I will give notice of proceeding with the matter by way of a resolution. Order dropped.

QUESTIONS

(Questions answered orally are indicated bj an asterisk.)

HALIFAX PIER NO. 9-AMERICAN COAL

CON

Mr. SMITH (Cumberland):

1. What portions of pier No. 9, in the city oi Halifax, Nova Scotia, are leased?

2. By whom are said portions leased?

3. To whom are said portions leased?

4. Was any quantity of American coal unloaded at this pier during 1927 for any department of the government or any other person or persons?

5. If so, for whom?

Topic:   QUESTIONS
Subtopic:   HALIFAX PIER NO. 9-AMERICAN COAL

Mr. DUNNING: (Minister of Railways and Canals)

1. Two areas of 17,000 square feet each.

2. His Majesty the King, as represented by the Minister of Railways and Canals.

3. Alfred T. O'Leary and S. Cunard & Co., Limited.

4. Not by the Canadian National railways or the Department of Railways and Canals. No information as to coal handled by lessees.

Right Hon. W. L. Mackenzie King (Prime Minister) moved:

That a message be sent to the Senate to acquaint their Honours that this house has substituted the name of Mr. Price for that of Mr. MacLaren on the select standing committee on printing.

Motion agreed to.