February 9, 1928

PRIVATE BILLS

FIRST READINGS

Bill No. 23, to incorporate the St. Clair Transit Company.-Mr. Goodison. Bill No. 24, to incorporate the Highwood Western Railway Company- Mr. Coote. Bill No. 25, to incorporate Niagara Gorge Bridge Company.-Mr. Hay.

Report of Federal District Commission and statement of receipts and expenditures of the commission for year ending March 31, 1927.- Mr. Robb.

RAILWAY ACT AMENDMENT

Mr. T. L. CHURCH (Northwest Toronto) moved for leave to introduce Bill No. 26, to amend the Railway Act. (Special rates on coal.)

Charles Avery Dunning (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Hon. CHARLES DUNNING (Minister of Railways and Canals):

Explain.

Topic:   RAILWAY ACT AMENDMENT
CON

Thomas Langton Church

Mr. CHURCH:

By this amendment, and

as a start towards a national coal supply, coal mined and coked in Canada will be carried for domestic use on the same preferential terms as grain and flour are now carried.

Motion agreed to and bill read the first time.

Topic:   RAILWAY ACT AMENDMENT

TARIFF ADVISORY BOARD-EVIDENCE

On the orders of the day:

LAB

Herbert Bealey Adshead

Labour

Mr. H. B. ADSHEAD (East Calgary):

I

would like to ask the Minister of Finance (Mr. Robb) to lay on the table the evidence given before the tariff advisory board with regard to cotton.

Topic:   TARIFF ADVISORY BOARD-EVIDENCE

James Alexander Robb (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. J. A. ROBB (Minister of Finance):

I will see if the evidence is ready, and will try to lay it on the table tomorrow or the next day.

Topic:   TARIFF ADVISORY BOARD-EVIDENCE

PRIVILEGE-MR. POULIOT NEAVSPAPER COMMENT ON SPEECH IN THE HOUSE

On the orders of the day:

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. JEAN FRANCOIS POULIOT (Temis-couata):

Mr. Speaker, I rise to a question of privilege. My attention has been drawn to an article appearing on the front page of the Montreal Gazette under date of February 6, of this year. The article is headed:

Compromise in School Rates is Suggested

Below that appears the sub-heading:

Provincial Liberals Object to Criticism of Tasehereau by J. F. Pouliot, M.P.

I have a few comments to make on this article, so I intend to take it up paragraph by paragraph, and it begins as follows:

Special to the Gazette. Quebec, February 4: For the present at least it is not intended to name a commission to revise the Quebec municipal code. The last revision was approved by the legislature in 1915-

That is wrong; it was done in 1916.

-and amendments to the Municipal Code are not very frequent.

This is another mistake, because inside of ten years two hundred amendments have been made to the eight hundred articles of the code.

Premier Tasehereau is not suffering from a lack of offers to revise the code, and only recently answered in the negative to a request of Jean-Francois Pouliot, Liberal M.P. for Temiscouata, that he be appointed to undertake the work.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. POULIOT NEAVSPAPER COMMENT ON SPEECH IN THE HOUSE

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Hear, hear.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. POULIOT NEAVSPAPER COMMENT ON SPEECH IN THE HOUSE

Jean-François Pouliot

Mr. POULIOT:

Well, Sir, to satisfy hon.

members on both sides of the house, I will tell them now that I have nothing offensive to say about Mr. Tasehereau to-day, and I will make my reply to this article as short as possible. First I would like to know if there is some expert or artist in quotations in the department of the Attorney General of Quebec who subtilizes documents in file and falsifies texts? I do not believe there is. I rather believe it comes from the correspondent of the Gazette in Quebec, who is the janitor of the falsehood factory or Ananias club of Quebec, and if such a thing happens once more I will name him so that the country will know the fellow as he is. I received only one letter from Mr. Tasehereau in that connection, and I will read to the house that section of the letter in connection with this article. The municipalities association of Quebec asked the

Privilege-Mr. Pouliot

government to make a new draft of the Quebec municipal code because of the very many amendments which had been made, and I wrote telling Mr. Taschereau that if he wanted me to act as commissioner for this purpose I would gratefully accept. That part of the report is true, but my letter was written a long time before the house opened; it was written on November 4, while Mr. Taschereau was giving interviews to the papers in Ottawa during the Dominion-provincial conference. I received his answer when he went back to Quebec, and I will read the French text, which I shall be glad to show any hon. member of the house, and I hope Mr. Taschereau will not deny his signature. On November 12th ult., he acknowledges receipt of my letter of November 4, and the last paragraph of his letter reads as follows:

Je ne manquerai pas, au cours de la prochaine session, de faire part a la chambre de votre proposition.

I will translate that into English for the benefit of my English-speaking friends, and I wonder if they will take it as an affirmative or a negative answer. No one will change this letter, because I keep it in a steel file. The last paragraph is as follows:

I will not fail during the next session to submit your proposition to the legislative assembly.

Contrary to Esau, who sold his birthright for a mess of pottage, I have no hesitation in saying that if I have to choose between a job offered by any government, any company or any individual, and freedom of speech, I will always choose freedom of speech.

Now I crave the indulgence of the house to read further from this article, which is as malicious as it is slanderous, not only against myself but against every member of this house from the province of Quebec.

The attack which Mr. Pouliot made upon Premier Taschereau in his speech in the House of Commons had aroused considerable feeling here.-*

This I did not expect.

-and _ especially the statement that the provincial Liberals have regard for their federal brothers only when there is a provincial election. Provincial Liberals maintain that such is not the case, but if anything the situation has been the reverse. The Liberals have been in power at Quebec since 1897, which has meant handling of considerable patronage, and during the dark ten years, from 1911 to 1921, when the federal Liberals were out of power this patronage had to be spread so as to care for the victims of 1911,-

I was not one of them; do I look like a victim?

-and at times the butter was very thin,

There was no question of Australian butter at that time.

-and there was no jam whatever owing to the care bestowed upon the federal Liberals.

My answer to that is that the young man who wrote that article is known as a buffoon in Quebec. His bread is well buttered, and I am sure that he is jammed with that well buttered bread. The article goes on to say:

Provincial judgeships, positions as crown prosecutors-

I am not a judge, I am not a crown prosecutor.

-and other positions have been handed out by the Quebec Liberal government to distressed federal friends-

He should name them.

-and it has always been the provincial Liberal organization which has furnished the fighting means at federal elections-

I never knew that.

-not to mention the fact that the two official Liberal organs in the province receive their government support from Quebec, and not from Ottawa.

I draw that statement to the attention of the Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King) and of the Finance minister (Mr. Robb).

Hence, provincial Liberals who have had to make way for the needs of federal Liberals fail to appreciate the attack made by Mr. Pouliot on Premier Taschereau.

I hope the house will allow me to answer that by a little story. When I was at college an elderly cousin of mine called on me the first year I was a boarder, and brought me once a bag of six very small strawberry tartlets. During the following summer she called at our house and when she found I was not very polite to her she said: "Why are you so impolite when I fed you last year?" Mr. Speaker, I have just a word more to add and it is this: I do not believe that false, malicious, slanderous story comes from Mr. Taschereau because I think he is enough of a gentleman to take the responsibility of what he says. But whomsoever it comes from I say to him that I despise a man who will make such insinuations. If Mr. Taschereau is not satisfied with what I have said, let him produce and lay on the table of the Quebec legislative assembly the official correspondence that has taken place between us since 1921.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. POULIOT NEAVSPAPER COMMENT ON SPEECH IN THE HOUSE

GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH

ADDRESS IN REPLY

The house resumed from Tuesday, February 7, consideration of the motion of Mr. Ilsley for an address to His Excellency the Governor General in reply to his speech at the opening of the session. The Address-Mr. Veniot

February 9, 1928