March 16, 1926

Georges Henri Boivin (Minister of Customs and Excise)

Mr. BOIVIN:

The chief inspector reported that it' was absolutely necessary for the security of the revenue.

In reply to the remarks made by the right hon. leader of the opposition (Mr. Meighen)

' in so far as this item is concerned, I say that not a single officer in the entire list was added upon the recommendation of any member of parliament or any member of the government. In every case the vacancy was reported upon by the chief inspector or by the inspector of the district and in every case the appointment was made by the Civil Service Commission.

CON

Georges Henri Boivin (Minister of Customs and Excise)

Mr. BOIVIN:

I am not aware of an appointment there but I am now told that it was made by the Civil Service Commission. I might say to my right hon. friend that one reason why my Liberal friends in Nova Scotia considered a few Liberals should be appointed,

is that all Liberals holding provincial positions in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick have been dismissed and replaced by Conservatives within the last few weeks.

CON

Georges Henri Boivin (Minister of Customs and Excise)

Mr. BOIVIN:

Not all, but soon! I think " soon " has already arrived, if reports received are true. This is undoubtedly why our Liberal friends from Nova Scotia really think that once in a while a Liberal should be appointed by the Civil Service Commission.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

I wonder if the minister could tell us whether the government of Nova Scotia has as yet been able to catch up with defaulting employees of the province of Nova Scotia.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE
CON

Horatio Clarence Hocken

Mr. HOCKEN:

Liberals.

-Sir HENRY DRAYTON: They were all Liberals-not one Conservative there.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE

Georges Henri Boivin (Minister of Customs and Excise)

Mr. BOIVIN:

Catch up with defaulting

employees in Nova Scotia?

CON

Georges Henri Boivin (Minister of Customs and Excise)

Mr. BOIVIN:

It is not necessary to catch up with them. They have dismissed them all.

CON
CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Mr. CAHAN:

Is the minister serious in that statement?

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE

Georges Henri Boivin (Minister of Customs and Excise)

Mr. BOIVIN:

Certainly-absolutely serious

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

Nonsense.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE

Georges Henri Boivin (Minister of Customs and Excise)

Mr. BOIVIN:

Officers occupying quasijudicial positions, such as sheriffs and others, have in certain cases, I am told, been dismissed. There is no civil service commission in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE
CON

William Anderson Black

Mr. BLACK (Halifax):

I may say that the minister's statement is very wide of the mark and I would ask if that is his justification or the justification of the government in appointing Liberals to places where the service is not required?

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE

Georges Henri Boivin (Minister of Customs and Excise)

Mr. BOIVIN:

I do not want to get into

an argument concerning the statement I have made. I am perfectly willing to accept the statement of my hon. friend who lives in that part of the country and admit that a few Liberals may have been retained in office by the provincial government. A few Liberals have undoubtedly been appointed by this government in Nova Scotia. The extra watchmen on the preventive service staff at Halifax do not come under the Civil Service Commission. They were recommended by our Liberal friends from Halifax.

Supply-Customs

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS (Frontenac):

They are not appointed through the Civil Service Commission?

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE

Georges Henri Boivin (Minister of Customs and Excise)

Mr. BOIVIN:

No, they are temporary

employees who are not on regular duty, who are employed only seasonally, when the regular men who are supposed to do the overtime work are unable to do it.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF CUSTOMS AND EXCISE
CON

Richard Burpee Hanson

Mr. HANSON:

The minister said that

certain quasi-judicial officers, such as sheriffs, had been dismissed by the new government. Can the minister give me the name of a single sheriff in that province who has been dismissed by the new government?

March 16, 1926