February 22, 1926

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

There can be no comment on an answer.

Topic:   TRANSPORTATION OF COAL
Subtopic:   SEVEN DOLLAR RATE ON ALBERTA COAL

MINISTER OF RAILWAYS AND CANALS

On the Orders of the Day:

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Hon. ERNEST LAPOINTE (Leader of the House):

Mr. Speaker, I desire to inform

the House that the Right Hon. George P. Graham has tendered his resignation as Minister of Railways and Canals, and that it has been accepted. I beg to lay on the table the correspondence exchanged between the Prime Minister and Mr. Graham.

I also desire to inform the House that the Hon. Charles A. Dunning has accepted the portfolio of Railways and Canals.

Topic:   MINISTER OF RAILWAYS AND CANALS
Subtopic:   RESIGNATION OF RIGHT HON. GEORGE P. GRAHAM AND APPOINTMENT OF HON. CHARLES A. DUNNING
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. ARTHUR MEIGHEN (Leader of the Opposition):

It may perhaps be premature on my part before having had an opportunity of reading the correspondence just tabled to offer any comment on the announcement of the acting leader of the government (Mr. Lapointe). The event, however, is of such consequence that it seems to call for at least a brief observation. The Right Hon. Mr. Graham has retired, following of course his defeat in the late election, and his resignation is now accepted. I am sure I am not going beyond the demands of courtesy when I say that, aside altogether from the merits of Mr. Graham's defeat in the contest, all of us regret his absence from this House as a fellow member. He has been connected in most distinguished, stations for very many

Australian Treaty

years with the public life of this country and has been at all times a popular member of the House of Commons. I stated that my remarks are entirely aside from the merits of the rebuke of the government which wa3 passed by the electors in the late contest, in which rebuke Mr. Graham shared; but I can add this, that if ever there was a defeat of which the causes went to the root of public policy and the demerits of the administration as a whole and were not personal to the candidate himself, it was the defeat of Mr. Graham. I feel that he has taken the right course in offering his resignation and am only sorry that such a good example has not been more generally followed. I again express regret that Mr. Graham has passed from the stage of our public life.

Topic:   MINISTER OF RAILWAYS AND CANALS

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

I rise for the purpose of expressing to my right hon. friend (Mr. Meighen) my deep gratitude for the kind words he has said with regard to Mr. Graham. Mr. Graham is certainly one public man in Canada who has richly earned the affection and respect, I should say the love, of all those with whom he has come in contact. I only hope, indeed I feel sure, that his services to the Canadian people will ibe continued in some other high capacity.

Topic:   MINISTER OF RAILWAYS AND CANALS

AUSTRALIAN TREATY

BOUNTY ON BUTTER EXPORTED FROM COMMONWEALTH

On the Orders of the Day:

CON

Donald Sutherland

Mr. DONALD SUTHERLAND (South Oxford) :

Topic:   AUSTRALIAN TREATY
Subtopic:   BOUNTY ON BUTTER EXPORTED FROM COMMONWEALTH

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I would remind the hon. member that it is hardly permissible to read long articles on the orders of the day.

Topic:   AUSTRALIAN TREATY
Subtopic:   BOUNTY ON BUTTER EXPORTED FROM COMMONWEALTH
CON

Donald Sutherland

Mr. SUTHERLAND (South Oxford):

Jusfc three or four more lines will complete the item, Mr. Speaker.

Topic:   AUSTRALIAN TREATY
Subtopic:   BOUNTY ON BUTTER EXPORTED FROM COMMONWEALTH

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I would advise the hon.

member to reduce his statement to a question and put it on the order paper.

Topic:   AUSTRALIAN TREATY
Subtopic:   BOUNTY ON BUTTER EXPORTED FROM COMMONWEALTH
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

It is doubly objectionable when the article read is a telegram sent by the reader himself.

Topic:   AUSTRALIAN TREATY
Subtopic:   BOUNTY ON BUTTER EXPORTED FROM COMMONWEALTH
CON

Donald Sutherland

Mir. SUTHERLAND (South Oxford):

Topic:   AUSTRALIAN TREATY
Subtopic:   BOUNTY ON BUTTER EXPORTED FROM COMMONWEALTH

James Alexander Robb (Minister of Trade and Commerce; Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. J. A. ROBB (Minister of Finance):

May I point out to my hon. friend that according to the statement he has just read that cannot be true, inasmuch as the telegram indicates that they completed the arrangement only a few days ago.

Topic:   AUSTRALIAN TREATY
Subtopic:   BOUNTY ON BUTTER EXPORTED FROM COMMONWEALTH
CON

Donald Sutherland

Mr. SUTHERLAND (South Oxford):

It

dates back.

Hon. W. R. MOTHERWELL 'Minister of Agriculture): My attention has been called to the article which the hon. gentleman has just read. It may or may not be reliable, and in order to make sure the Minister of Finance, I understand, is in communication with the government of the Australian commonwealth to ascertain to what extent it is true. In the meantime our information is that the matter is purely one of private concern and has nothing to do with the commonwealth, although, of course, that does not prevent its being of interest to the Canadian people.

Topic:   AUSTRALIAN TREATY