February 18, 1926

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Topic:   STATUTES OF CANADA
Subtopic:   CHARACTERIZATION OF LAW BY JUDGE ON THE BENCH

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Under the rules of the

House:

All references to judges and courts of justice and to personages of high official station of the nature of personal attack and censure have always been considered unparliamentary.

I would also call the attention of the hon. member to paragraph 234 (i) under rule 19, which says that a member must not:

(i) cast reflections upon the conduct of judges of superior courts unless such conduct is based upon a substantive motion.

Topic:   STATUTES OF CANADA
Subtopic:   CHARACTERIZATION OF LAW BY JUDGE ON THE BENCH
CON

Horatio Clarence Hocken

Mr. HOCKEN:

Mr. Speaker, I do not

think I am infringing the rules of the House when I ask the hon. Minister of Justice whether he intends to take any cognizance of these statements from the bench. The remarks in question referred to one of the statutes of the Dominion of Canada, and I was asking the Minister of Justice whether it was competent for a judge to refer to them in that way.

Topic:   STATUTES OF CANADA
Subtopic:   CHARACTERIZATION OF LAW BY JUDGE ON THE BENCH

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

The right course for the hon. gentleman to take, speaking from my experience of over thirty years of parliamentary life, would1 be to move for a return asking for a copy of the judgment, and then it could be debated in the House.

Topic:   STATUTES OF CANADA
Subtopic:   CHARACTERIZATION OF LAW BY JUDGE ON THE BENCH
CON

Horatio Clarence Hocken

Mr. HOCKEN:

All right.

Topic:   STATUTES OF CANADA
Subtopic:   CHARACTERIZATION OF LAW BY JUDGE ON THE BENCH

GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH

ADDRESS IN REPLY

The House resumed from Wednesday, February 17, consideration of the motion of Mr. J. C. Elliott for an Address to His Excellency the Governor General in reply to his Speech at the opening of the session, and the proposed motion of Mr. Bird: " That this question be now put."

CON

Charles Hazlitt Cahan

Mr. C. H. CAHAN (St. Lawrence-St George):

Mr. Speaker, as I was about tc

close the remarks I was making on the approach of six o'clock last evening, my hon. friend the Solicitor General (Mr. Cannon) interjected that I should deliver my speech in accordance with the rules of this House. In that respect, Sir, no one 'could have more anxiety to abide by the rules of the House than I, and I am sure that that is the spirit actuating the entire body of hon. members who sit on this side of the House. The hon. gentleman, referring to myself, said:

But do not let him waste public money in the way he is doing this afternoon.

That statement has the same tinge of exaggeration which sometimes characterizes the platform utterances of my hon. friend.

Mr. CANiNON: Mr. Speaker, I rise to a

question of privilege-

The Address-Mr. Cahan

An hon. MEMBER:

I rise.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

Lucien Cannon (Solicitor General of Canada)

Mr. CANNON:

I am rising to raise the

point that when I made the remark referred to by the hon. gentleman, I asked Your Honour to remember his opening remarks as to his intention to Obstruct the business of the House. The hon. gentleman denied having said any such thing. 1 would refer Your Honour to Hansard of yesterday, where at page 1086 the hon. gentleman expressed himself as follows:

But when the hon. gentleman seeks to preclude us from reaching a vote of want of confidence in this House, when he seeks to gag us in the discussion of what we regard as material and vital to the interests of this country, I can tell him that so far as I am concerned he will have to change the rules of the House to prevent my obstructing, in order to prevent the forcing through of any such measure as that.

So I submit that when I said he was wasting the money of this country-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order, order.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

Lucien Cannon (Solicitor General of Canada)

Mr. CANNON:

-I submit I was correct

because he had said that he was going to obstruct.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

The expression "obstruction" is not unparliamentary, and when an hon. member says that he will do his utmost to prevent any resolution from passing, he is not using an unparliamentary expression. I have been through debates myself in times gone by and I do not know that speaking against certain legislation, even though speaking for several hours, is against the rules of the House. As I said yesterday, the previous question prevents any amendment, but it does not prevent a member from speaking as long as he wishes on the main motion.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

Lucien Cannon (Solicitor General of Canada)

Mr. CANNON:

I bow to your ruling, Mr. Speaker-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I ruled yesterday that the hon. gentleman had not acted in an unparliamentary way by stating that he would do his utmost to prevent a certain resolution passing

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

Lucien Cannon (Solicitor General of Canada)

Mr. CANNON:

Obstruct, he said.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Yes, but that is not unparliamentary.

February 18, 1926