June 19, 1925

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I think the question is now disposed of. I have ruled against the motion and against any invidious references being made against a high official of the Dominion government. Unless, therefore, the hon. gentleman rises now to speak on a question of personal privilege, I think we mus: proceed with the orders of the day.

Hance James Logan

Mr. LOGAN:

My point is this: The hon member for Brant has seen fit to reflect upon the committee of Public Accounts, and to state that he had certain evidence of being shut out. I desire as chairman of that committee to press the question of privilege and read to the House a statement showing the latitude the hon. member for Brant has been allowed before that committee, and with your permission, Mr. Speaker, I will read this statement.

Topic:   TAX COLLECTIONS

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

It is not a personal attack. Therefore, we must proceed with the business of the House.

Hance James Logan

Mr. LOGAN:

It is a personal attack upon the rulings of the chairman of that committee.

IND

William Charles Good

Independent Progressive

Mr. GOOD:

No, Mr. Speaker, I object. I never made any attack or cast any reflections on the rulings of the chairman.

Hance James Logan

Mr. LOGAN:

I say an attack was made on the chairman of the committee for rulings he has made before that committee. I only desire to put on Hansard a short statement showing the leeway that has been allowed the hon. member for Brant in the investigation of this question, and if I may be allowed to make this statement I promise the House I will sit down inside of two or three minutes.

We have had in the Public Accounts committee the following meetings at which time has been devoted by the hon. member for Brant in discussion of the question of business profits and income war taxation as follows:

No. of

Date of Time used by pages ofmeeting Mr. Good Evidence

March 17 (1st meeting) Full time of meeting.. .. 5

April 2

Full time of meeting.. .. 56April 16

Full time of meeting.. .. 61April 17

Full time of meeting.. .. 56April 24

Full time of meeting.. .. 59May 7

Part time of meeting.. .. 24May 13

Part time of meeting.. .. 42May 15

Whole time of meeting.. .. 63

4506

Tax Collections

Topic:   TAX COLLECTIONS

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. I expected the

hon. gentleman to speak to a question of privilege. Instead, he has given the time table of the committee. I hope the incident is closed. We are nearing the end of the session and all this is lost time.

LAB

James Shaver Woodsworth

Labour

Mr. J. S. WOODSWORTH (Centre Winnipeg) :

Before this matter is finally disposed of, I think we have a right to say a word. You have ruled, Mr. Speaker, against any invidious reference against any high official. I should like to be clear with regard to your ruling, before we pass on to anything further. Does that imply that the hon. member who spoke a little while ago has made such invidious references and is hereby reproved?

Topic:   TAX COLLECTIONS

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

The hon. gentleman will read my ruling in Hansard, and draw his own conclusions.

Mr. ROBERT GARDINER .(Medicine Hat): Mr. Speaker, I rise to a point of order. The hon. member for Cumberland (Mr. Logan) made the statement just a few moments ago, that the hon. member for Brant (Mr. Good) had questioned his rulings as chairman of the Public Accounts committee. I have listened very carefully to all that the hon. member for Brant has said this morning, and I submit to you, Mr. Speaker, that the hon. member for Brant did not use the name .of the chairman of the Public Accounts committee in anything he said this morning. I think that the definite statement made by the hon. member for Cumberland in that respect should be withdrawn.

IND

William Charles Good

Independent Progressive

Mr. GOOD:

I should like to add a word to that, and- to state that I did not this morning object to the rulings of the chairman of the committee, and I am glad now to bear testimony to his fairness during the meetings of the committee.

Topic:   TAX COLLECTIONS
PRO

Robert Gardiner

Progressive

Mr. GARDINER:

I submit, Mr. Speaker, that the statement of the chairman of the committee of Public Accounts should be withdrawn in all fairness to the hon. member for Brant. I think it is the only fair thing to do.

Topic:   TAX COLLECTIONS
PRO

Robert Gardiner

Progressive

Mr. GARDINER:

That is not correct. I rise to a point of order and ask that his statement be withdrawn.

Hance James Logan

Mr. LOGAN:

Speaking to the point of

order, as the hon. member for Brant said

that he had not been allowed to ask certain questions in the Public Accounts committee-

IND

Hance James Logan

Mr. LOGAN:

Hansard will bear me out,- and as the chairman of the committee is the only person who can say whether or not he shall be allowed to ask certain questions in the committee, I took his remark as a reflection on myself. Under the circumstances, however, and with the explanation of the hon. member for Brant, I will withdraw the statement which I made, and I hope the incident is closed, because we have had very interesting sessions of the Public Accounts committee.

JOHN E. RUSSELL COMPANY PATENTS

Mr. ARCHAMBAULT (for Mr. Chevrier) moved the first reading of Bill No. 220, from the Senate, respecting a patent owned by the John E. Russell Company. Motion agreed to. On the motion for the second reading:

June 19, 1925