June 1, 1925

George Newcombe Gordon (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

Mr. DEPUTY SPEAKER:

I would draw the attention of the hon. member to the fact that that is properly a question for the order paper, not to be put on the orders of the day.

Topic:   EMPLOYMENT OF IMMIGRANTS

James Alexander Robb (Minister of Immigration and Colonization)

Hon. J. A. ROBB (Minister of Immigration) :

I do not find any fault with my hon. friend for asking that question. I have received a similar wire from Mr. J. E. Young, of Calgary. I find upon investigation over the long-distance telephone that the Canadian Pacific Railway Company were inquiring as to whether -the Raymond district beet growing interests had endeavoured to secure the help locally or in such centres as Calgary. I am informed that this is a placement of Hungarian farm labourers, who are accustomed to that work. In addition to this, the Deputy Minister of Immigration this morning wired as follows to the Division Commissioner of Immigration at Winnipeg:

Wire received from J. E. Young, Calgary Trades and Labour Council, advising that forty men despatched by Calgary Labour Bureau to Raymond sugar beet fields found no jobs owing to placement C.P.R. immigrants recently arrived. Please investigate and furnish full facts, covering type of immigrants placed in Raymond district also showing whether beet interests have made endeavour to secure help required either locally or in such centres as Calgary. Wire reply.

I shall be glad to advise my hon. friend when the reply is received.

Topic:   EMPLOYMENT OF IMMIGRANTS

ALBERTA COAL

On the Orders of the Day:

CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. ARTHUR MEIGHEN (Leader of the Opposition):

I have a telegram, which I did not bring down with me, but which is to the effect that the Minister of the Interior (Mr. Stewart) has made no arrangements as yet for the transport of Alberta coal eastward under the provisions of a certain vote. Would the minister say what is the cause of delay as to that?

Topic:   ALBERTA COAL

Charles A. Stewart (Minister of Mines; Minister of the Interior; Superintendent-General of Indian Affairs)

Hon. CHARLES STEWART (Minister of the Interior):

The matter was .under negotiation when our estimates were being prepared. It is my intention to bring in a supplementary estimate covering our proportionate share of the cost of this experiment.

Topic:   ALBERTA COAL

DEBT AND EXPENDITURE

STATEMENT BY THE MINISTER OF THE INTERIOR

On the Orders of the Day:

Hon. CHARLES STEWART (Minister of the Interior):

I wish to refer to a statementmade by the right hon. leader of the opposition (Mr. Mieighen) on Friday last, page 3702 of Hansard, in which he brought me to task for a statement purporting to have been made by me and recorded in the Edmonton Bulletin of the 23rd of October, 1923, with reference to the public debt of Canada. When this statement was brought to my notice on Saturday I had the records looked up and my secretary furnished me with the statement from which I quoted on that occasion, and in fairness to myself and to my right hon. friend as well I want to make a correction. The Edmonton Bulletin evidently 'stated that there was an increase in the public debt of 46 per cent.

Topic:   DEBT AND EXPENDITURE
Subtopic:   STATEMENT BY THE MINISTER OF THE INTERIOR
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

Before the war.

Topic:   DEBT AND EXPENDITURE
Subtopic:   STATEMENT BY THE MINISTER OF THE INTERIOR

Mr. STEWART (Argenteuil):

Yes, before

the outbreak of the war. The quotation which I was using was that from 1911 to 1914 the controllable expenditure jumped from $65,000,000 in 1914 to $102,000,000, or an increase of 46 per cent. Quite clearly I could not have said that it was an increase in the public

Civil Service Act

debt, although I may have been misquoted. I may add that I entirely missed the statement in this matter which my right hon. friend said he had previously made and to which he said I had offered no reply.

Topic:   DEBT AND EXPENDITURE
Subtopic:   STATEMENT BY THE MINISTER OF THE INTERIOR

CECIL R. SMITH

On the Orders of the Day:

LAB

James Shaver Woodsworth

Labour

Mr. J. S. WOODSWORTH (Centre Winnipeg):

On May 6 I asked in the House, on the orders of the day, the following question :

Since the Supreme Court has ruled in the case of Cecil R. Smith, admitted bootlegger, that an income tax cannot be levied on the gains derived from illicit business or from the commission of crime; and since this judgment thereby definitely classes bootlegging as a crime, what action does the government propose to take to recover the illegal gains and punish the criminal?

The Minister of Justice (Mr. Lapointe) answered:

The matter has not yet been considered; I understand that judgment was delivered yesterday.

May I ask whether a decision has yet been given with regard to the covirse to be pursued in this connection?

Topic:   CECIL R. SMITH

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Hon. ERNEST LAPOINTE (Minister of Justice):

The question of the advisability of

an appeal from that judgment to the Privy Council is under consideration. The question of taxing crime or the product of crime is a rather difficult one. There is another difficulty arising from the fact that most of that revenue would be derived from violations of provincial laws, and it is a question whether this Dominion should take the money derived from that source.

Topic:   CECIL R. SMITH
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

If my hon.

friend will allow me, I would suggest to him that a declaratory act brought in at the present time would seem to be very, very much in place.

Topic:   CECIL R. SMITH

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. LAPOINTE:

The whole question is

under consideration.

Topic:   CECIL R. SMITH

CIVIL SERVICE ACT, 1918, EMPLOYEES-REVENUE AND CITY POST OFFICES

Hon. CHARLES MURPHY (Postmaster General) moved that the House go into committee to consider the following proposed resolution: Resolved, that it is expedient to amend the Civil Service Act, 1918, as respects certain post office employees, and to provide, (1) that when it has been determined by the Governor in Council that any post office, the employees of which do not come under the Civil Service Act, is to be brought under the said act, any person then employed in such office who has had at least two years postal experience, one of which was in the office in question, and who was, at the commencement of his service, within the limits of age prescribed by the Civil Service Commission, and who satisfies the Civil Service Commission that he possesses the necessary qualifications, shall be considered eligible for appointment to any position in such office without competitive examination, provided, however, that any person employed in any such post office on the date of the coming into force of this provision shall be eligible for appointment, even though he was not at the commencement of his employment within the limits of age prescribed by the Civil Service Commission; (2) That upon an appointment being made, the person appointed shall receive the same salary as he was receiving immediately prior to such appointment, except that if the salary prior to appointment is less than the minimum rate of the position to which he is appointed, his salary shall be increased to such minimum rate, and if the salary prior to appointment exceeds the salary of which he would have been in receipt had he entered the service at the minimum rate of the class and had been allowed a number of annual increases equivalent to the number of years of his service, the salary to be paid to him upon appointment shall be fixed by the Civil Service Commission.

June 1, 1925