February 27, 1925

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

That will be disclosed when

the item is under discussion. Elevators do not come under this head.

Topic:   G18 COMMONS
PRO
CON

Simon Fraser Tolmie

Mr. TOLMIE:

As one or two of our

members are unavoidably absent, would the minister extend to them on the next vote the privilege of referring back to this item which we are passing to-night?

Topic:   G18 COMMONS

Item agreed to.

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

The hon. member for West

York (Sir Henry Drayton) wished me to again refer to item 355.

Topic:   G18 COMMONS
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

Since the adjournment, Mr. Chairman, my hon. friend (Mr. Low) has relented; he has actually given some information, and it is the in-41

formation required. I will just read it so it will be on record. It is as follows:

Bounties Paid on Crude Petroleum

1922-23 42

tn g s S

t O o3

Provinces pq 0 O Alberta .. 379 9 1 $ 199 12N ew Brunswick. . 4,513 6 1 2,369 50Ontario . 165,059 871 183 76,229 95169,951 886 185 $78,798 571923-24 Alberta .. 58 2 1 $ 30 35New Brunswick. . . 6,945 8 1 3,648 24Ontario . 145,200 636 174 76,130 95152,203 646 176 $79,809 54

One other point on which I wanted to get information was as to the number of wells, but I understand my hon. friend cannot get that without a good deal of inconvenience, so I shall not bother him about it. I understand that the number of wells is practically the same; that is fairly common ground. I would also suggest that my hon. friend bring down the report of Dr. Hanna and-perhaps of greater importance in view of the position of the industry at present and of the fact that this is perhaps the last opportunity for looking into something which will shortly disappear unless attention is given to it-the report of the other government emissary who was sent to look over the ground. If these reports are brought down I shall be quite content.

Topic:   G18 COMMONS
PRO

Lincoln Henry Jelliff

Progressive

Mr. JELLIFF:

I understand that the list

which has just been read refers not to the total production of oil in Alberta but simply to the portion upon which bounty was payable. Of course, we produce much more than that, but on account of the conditions as to specific gravity our actual oil production is not fully indicated in these figures. I think we should have a bounty on all we produce and that that condition should not obtain in our case.

Topic:   G18 COMMONS
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

You think it

should be limited, though, to the small well only?

Topic:   G18 COMMONS

Item agreed to. Progress reported. On motion of Mr. Mackenzie King the House adjourned at 11.19 p.m.

Questions Monday, March 2, 1925