February 13, 1925

CON

Robert James Manion

Mr. MANION:

Yes, but I submit that the native born Canadian who has lived here all his life should surely be the first to 6peak of breaking up confederation, if there is to be any talk of that kind.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Murdock (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MURDOCK:

There are some in this

House, not native bom Canadians, who have lived here under the conditions that existed in this country longer than my hon. friend has lived in Canada.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON

Robert James Manion

Mr. MANION:

They may have lived here longer than I have; I cannot help my age, but I will not admit they have lived here under the conditions that we have at present because there never have been conditions in this country such as we have at present.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
PRO

Thomas George McBride

Progressive

Mr. McBRIDE:

Is it not so that some

are Canadians because they cannot help it while others are Canadians because it is the land of their adoption?

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Murdock (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MURDOCK:

And loved it.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON

Robert James Manion

Mr. MANION:

I was going on to quote

Mr. Stewart, if my hon. friends will permit me. Mr. Stewart enumerates the items of clothing which a man wears in this country and compares the prices here and in the United States. He gives the price of hats.

The Address-Mr. Manion

suits, overcoats, woollen underwear, cotton underwear, collars of various kinds, shirts and ties, in fact practically the entire outfit in wearing apparel that a man requires in this country, and gives the prices for these goods of equal quality and of equal workmanship in Canada and the United States. The cost of the outfit in Canada is $95.30, as compared with $124 in the United States, a difference in favour of Canada of $28.70, in sp'te of the fact that there is a duty of something like 37i per cent against practically all of these goods coming into Canada.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
PRO

John Livingstone Brown

Progressive

Mr. BROWN:

Is it not, however, the

British competition in these lines that our friends complain of? The comparison should be between British goods and Canadian goods.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON

Robert James Manion

Mr. MANION:

That is true in regard to woollen goods, but not of the goods generally. It is not true with regard to cotton goods for instance.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
PRO

John Livingstone Brown

Progressive

Mr. BROWN:

Why not? Is not Britain

a manufacturer of cotton goods?

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON

Robert James Manion

Mr. MANION:

Yes, but so is the United States. Not only that, but cotton goods in Canada, Mr. Stewart claims, and he has shown me at different times the actual items, despite the duty, are cheaper in this country. The point I make is that the tariff itself does not necessarily raise the price of goods, and any man who is fair-minded and looks at the question from the proper standpoint knows that is the absolute truth.

At six o'clock the House took recess.

After Recess

The House resumed at eight o'clock.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON

Robert James Manion

Mr. MANION:

I regret very much that, on account of the various members on the other side of the House insisting on making speeches this afternoon while I was making my remarks, I am forced to continue after eight o'clock this evening, and I sincerely hope what I have said will stimulate my good friend the Minister of Labour (Mr. Murdock) to come forward and make a statement. I see he is ready now to come forward and give us a lot of facts of which he speaks.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY

James Murdock (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MURDOCK:

Hear, hear.

CON
PRO

Thomas William Bird

Progressive

Mr. BIRD:

Does the hon. gentleman mean to say that the British customs tax is a protective tax?

CON
PRO

John Evans

Progressive

Mr. EVANS:

Are they produced in Great Britain?

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON

Robert James Manion

Mr. MANION:

What that has to do with the question I do not know. No, they are not produced in Great Britain. That is why it is a free trade tariff. Britain has a free trad'e tariff, but they collect by customs tariff on sugar, tobacco and tea, practical necessaries of life, from the ordinary working man; and I think my hon. friend, who called us a lot of evil names the other night when he was discussing free trade, will agree that the ordinary working man probably consumes and has to consume as much sugar as the millionaire; 80 that the duty in England, instead' of being divided so as to place more duty on the rich man than on the poor man. bears equally on the poor and the rich.

Subtopic:   ADDRESS IN REPLY
PRO

John Evans

Progressive

Mr. EVANS:

Will you tell us how much the customs tariff in Great Britain favours the manufacturer?

CON
PRO

John Livingstone Brown

Progressive

Mr. BROWN:

The hon. member does not dispute the fact that these protective tariffs are taxes.

February 13, 1925