February 11, 1925

PRO
CON

Henry Herbert Stevens

Mr. STEVENS:

Who is to blame for that? Surely he is not blaming the Canadian industrialist for that. The blame must rest

upon the manufacturer of agricultural implements on the other side.

Topic:   THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH ADDRESS IN REPLY
PRO

John Evans

Progressive

Mr. EVANS:

No, not at all. Why do

you put that construction upon it? It is so because the manufacturer in this country maintains that he only has a right to sell goods in this country. That is the idea of protection. The Minister of Customs (Mr. Bureau) made the statement in the House last session, in answer to the member for Macleod (Mr. Coote). It is true enough.

Topic:   THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON

Henry Herbert Stevens

Mr. STEVENS:

My hon. friend is referring to the application of the dumping clause as passed two years ago, under which the matter is in the hands of the Minister of Customs. He supported and we opposed it.

Topic:   THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH ADDRESS IN REPLY
PRO

John Wilfred Kennedy

Progressive

Mr. KENNEDY (Glengarry and Stormont):

Not at all; it was passed fifteen years ago.

Topic:   THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON

Henry Herbert Stevens

Mr. STEVENS:

No, it was amended two

years ago.

Topic:   THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH ADDRESS IN REPLY

George Newcombe Gordon (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

Mr. DEPUTY SPEAKER:

Order.

Topic:   THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH ADDRESS IN REPLY
PRO

John Evans

Progressive

Mr. EVANS:

I think the hon. gentleman

is wrong, Mr. Speaker. The amendment to the act passed in 1922 related only to natural products. The right hon. leader of the opposition at that time gave the government the worst castigation that I have ever heard.

Topic:   THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

It was not bad enough.

Topic:   THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH ADDRESS IN REPLY
PRO

John Evans

Progressive

Mr. EVANS:

I admit, Sir, it was not bad enough. But this is what I want to tell the House to-day, when I make the point that there is no difference between the two parties: both the leader of the opposition (Mr. Meighen) and the member for Vancouver Centre (Mr. Stevens) voted with the government.

Topic:   THE GOVERNOR GENERAL'S SPEECH ADDRESS IN REPLY
CON
PRO

John Evans

Progressive

Mr. EVANS:

On that amendment. There is no mistake; I took a note of it at the time. I see it is six o'clock, Mr. Speaker. I hope I have been able to bring before you the conditions under which agriculture is labouring to-day. Agriculture must have these conditions removed before the present population, or any augmented population, can operate successfully.

At six o'clock the House adjourned without question being put, pursuant to rule.

The Address-Mr. Evans