June 24, 1924

PUBLIC ACCOUNTS COMMITTEE

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister) moved:

That the name of Mr. Lapierre be substituted for that of Mr. Bourassa on the select standing committee on Public Accounts.

Topic:   PUBLIC ACCOUNTS COMMITTEE

Motion agreed to.

PRIVATE BILLS

FIRST READINGS

Bill No. 199 (from the Senate), to incorporate Shantung Christian University.-Mr. Ryckman. Bill No. 200 (from the Senate), for the relief of Florence Castle.-Mr. Duff. Bill No. 201 (from the Senate), for the relief of Frances Hadenka.-Mr. Duff. Bill No. 202 (from the Senate), for the relief of Louise Powell.-Sir Henry Drayton. Bill No. 203 (from the Senate), for the relief of Margaret Johnston.-Mr. Hocken. Bill No. 204 (from the Senate), for the relief of Hilda Girdler.-Mr. Harris. Postal Employees

STRIKE OF POSTAL EMPLOYEES

On the Orders of the Day:

CON

Thomas Langton Church

Mr. T. L. CHURCH (North Toronto):

Mr. Speaker, I rise for the purpose of again directing the attention of the government to the postal strike at Toronto, where the situation is most desperate. Mountains of mail are piled up. Great difficulty is being experienced by the banks in the clearing of cheques by mail. Cheques for accounts are held up, mail order departments are without work, business is stagnant and at a standstill. The people are lined up for hours five or six feet deep but cannot get near their mail. The situation is so acute that I feel I would be quite justified in again moving the adjournment of the House to discuss the matter. I do not propose, however, to do that, but I want to direct the attention of the Acting Postmaster General (Mr. Stewart) to the matter to see if something cannot be done-

Topic:   STRIKE OF POSTAL EMPLOYEES

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. The hon. member should be satisfied to put the question.

Topic:   STRIKE OF POSTAL EMPLOYEES
CON

Thomas Langton Church

Mr. CHURCH:

If I may be permitted,

Mr. Speaker, I would like to complete my question. Now, the situation is so desperate-*

Topic:   STRIKE OF POSTAL EMPLOYEES

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

The hon. member is

simply making a comment. Will he put his question?

Mr. CHURCH; What is being done to move the mails? The people of Toronto cannot stand this for twenty-four hours longer. What conciliation has been or will be used in the matter?

Hon. CHARLES STEWART (Argenteuil). (Acting Postmaster General): I think my

hon. friend is unduly exercised. The despatch mail is all moving in Toronto. There is no delivery of mail, but mail is prepared and delivered to the business houses and banking institutions. It is quite true that for two or three days cheques mailed could not reach their destinations, but that matter is cleared up to-day.

Topic:   STRIKE OF POSTAL EMPLOYEES
CON
CON

Thomas Langton Church

Mr. CHURCH:

I rise to a point of order. I contend that under the rules of debate on the orders of the day that is not an answer to the question I asked. I say this is a matter of most urgent public importance to the city I represent. The service is intolerable. No conciliation has been used. Will the minister not give us some more definite statement than he has just given? That is simply the reply he gave the other day.

fMr. Mackenzie King.]

Topic:   STRIKE OF POSTAL EMPLOYEES

WITHHOLDING ASSENT TO PROVINCIAL LEGISLATION

On the Orders of the Day:

Alfred Edgar MacLean

Mr. A. E. MacLEAN (Prince):

Mr. Speaker, I would like to ask the hon. Minister of Justice (Mr. Lapointe) if any correspondence, official or otherwise, has been received from the government of Prince Edward Island or the Lieutenant Governor of that province relating to the Lieutenant Governor withholding his assent to any legislation passed by the Legislature of Prince Edward Island during the session of 1924, and if such has been received will the hon. Minister of Justice please lay on the Table a copy of the correspondence, orders in council if any, or any other documents relating thereto?

Topic:   WITHHOLDING ASSENT TO PROVINCIAL LEGISLATION

Ernest Lapointe (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Hon. ERNEST LAPOINTE (Minister of Justice):

The refusal of the Lieutenant

Governor of Prince Edward Island to give his assent to a bill which had been passed by the legislature of that province-or rather, to speak more accurately, his withholding his assent to that bill-was referred a few weeks ago to the Department of Justice. The Minister of Justice has made a recommendation to the Governor in Council in that regard and I believe an order in council has been passed which has been transmitted to the Lieutenant Governor and to the government of Prince Edward Island. I shall be pleased to give instructions that all the documents referring to that matter be laid on the Table.

INTER-ALLIED CONFERENCE ON DAWES REPORT On the Orders of the Day: