June 19, 1924

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

These words are added to the act as it was before. It says that the act shall be amended by adding to it the word "platinum," so that it will read "gold, silver or platinum."

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

The first part is all

right, and the wording there is correct, except that I would have thought perhaps platinum should be used again, but it is the last part I am directing the minister's attention to- this addition.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

Will my right hon. friend point out where it is clumsy? I really do not see it.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

You have to do some

thinking to tell what it means. It says:

The word "platinum" or any contraction, abbreviation or colourable imitation thereof,-

In the first place, you do not speak about a "colourable imitation" of a word.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

Of the metal.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

The minister is wrong.

I thought that, too.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

Yes, of the metal.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

Oh, no; he is wrong.

The minister will please be patient with me. I thought it meant the metal, and that got me wrong for quite a while. Now I think I see what it means, but I am only right on the hypothesis that it means a colourable imitation of the word. What is meant is any contraction of the word, any abbreviation of the word, or any colourable imitation of the word. There is no question about that. The minister has not understood the clause.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

I quite understand it. I am

sure it is very clear.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

The minister will not

say it means a colourable imitation of the metal.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

He said that first,

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

No, I did not. I said it referred to a colourable metal.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

It does not refer to that at all.

Gold and Silver Marking

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

The wording is clear. Let

me read it:

The word "platinum" or any contraction, abbreviation or colourable imitation thereof shall not be applied, either alone or in combination with any other word, to any article of merchandise composed wholly or in part of any metal unless 950/1000ths of component parts of the metal appearing or purporting to be platinum of which said article consists are either the pure metal and element platinum alone or in conjunction with iridium.

Could anything be clearer?

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

The minister has come

to a new view on the first part; now I will discuss the rest. It means a * colourable imitation of the word, not the metal. The effect of it is this, if I may put it in simpler language-that you shall not apply the word "platinum" as a noun, adjective, or anything else, or any word sounding like "platinum" intending to convey the effect of that word to any metal unless 95 per cent at least-

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

More than that.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

But 950/1000ths is 95/-

lOOths, is it not? My arithmetic used to tell me that was 95 per cent.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT

Thomas Andrew Low (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Mr. LOW:

I think my right hon. friend is a little rusty on his arithmetic.

Subtopic:   GOLD AND SILVER MARKING ACT 1913, AMENDMENT
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

If the minister will take a few minutes more, I think he will come to my view on that. I appeal to the professor of arithmetic in the back row. I know he will agree with me.

June 19, 1924