April 4, 1924

James Alexander Robb (Minister of Immigration and Colonization)

Mr. ROBB:

I will give my hon. friend a definite reply on Monday. It is possible that it may be next week.

Topic:   THE BUDGET

PENSIONS UNDER CALDER ACT

On the Orders of the Day:

Charles Arthur Gauvreau

Mr. C. A. GAUVREAU (Temiscouata):

Will tbe Prime Minister (Mr. Mackenzie King) say whether there is any foundation for the despatch sent from Ottawa to La Patrie, Montreal, to the effect that after March 31 no civil servant will be granted a pension under the Calder Act unless he has resigned before that date?

Supply-Agriculture

Topic:   PENSIONS UNDER CALDER ACT

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

This is the first intimation I have had of the despatch in question and I know of no foundation for it. I should not like, however, to reply to my hon. friend without having an opportunity to look into the matter. I will let him know on Monday.

Topic:   PENSIONS UNDER CALDER ACT

REDISTRIBUTION .

CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Right Hon. ARTHUR MEIGHEN (Leader of the Opposition):

What progress has been made in the establishment of the committee on redistribution? Considerable time has gone by now and we have a mountain to climb in this direction which we should now be scaling.

Topic:   REDISTRIBUTION .

Right Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

There has been some conference between the whips as to the size of the committee, and there has1 been a little difficulty in securing a general agreement on the matter. I understand that a committee of the same size, and probably of the same personnel, as that of last year may now be named. I hope on Monday to be able to give to the House the names.

Topic:   REDISTRIBUTION .

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

The House in Committee of Supply, Mr. Gordon in the chair. Department of the Interior- Expenses connected with the Dominion Observatory at Ottawa, 550,000.

CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

I did not expect that the estimates of the Department of the Interior would be taken up to-day. The Interior estimates have not been called on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday as yet. Heretofore I have always agreed, but we are not in a position to do so now. I did not know until to-day that the government had mentioned Interior estimates. Certainly they have no right to go into them to-day.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

Charles A. Stewart (Minister of Mines; Minister of the Interior; Superintendent-General of Indian Affairs)

Mr. STEWART (Argenteuil):

The announcement was made on three occasions, but the right hon. member is perfectly correct: The Interior estimates have not yet been in committee.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

George Newcombe Gordon (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

The CHAIRMAN:

The Interior estimates will not be proceeded with on account of the objection.

Item stands.

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE Agriculture-Entomology, $25,000.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
PRO

Oliver Robert Gould

Progressive

Mr. GOULD:

I notice there is a reduction of $5,000. In this department there is a wonderful field for knowledge; much can be

done in the way of entomological research work to educate the people along proper lines, and I have wondered why the minister would cut this down by the amount mentioned in the estimate.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

William Richard Motherwell (Minister of Agriculture)

Hon. W. R. MOTHERWELL (Minister of Agriculture):

This does not mean that the 'activities of the branch will be lessened. This appropriation is merely for the Ottawa staff and equipment. The staff will be found over the Birks building on Sparks street. It is hoped a slight reduction may be obtained without any curtailment of the activities which come under the next item, which has to do with what, I think, my hon. friend is interested in. It. has been thought that possibly we can reduce this appropriation by not extending the number of specimens as actively as we have done and not putting out so much literature. There is a good deal of criticism about the quantity of bulletins issued, much of which it is said is not read. Something may be said in that regard, but, I hope that class of work will continue, although it may not be as pronounced as in the past.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

In view of the ruling of the Chair the other day that when we move to strike out any portion of a vote, we cannot show what the object of the motion is, I am inclined to think we shall have to ask that the resolutions be printed differently, so that we may know exactly what we are doing. In the meantime, short of that, short of having proper information, and in view of that ruling, I now ask the minister to let us know, first, what is the object of this vote, who gets the money and what it is for; and second, how much was spent last year.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

William Richard Motherwell (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. MOTHERWELL:

Since I have to

some extent answered the question, if I confine myself to the memorandum I have, that will be more concise. These are the specific purposes:

Printing bulletins, circulars, leaflets and reports. Stationery, .printing and bookbinding.

Apparatus, scientific supplies and field equipment. Under this heading is included an amount to purchase further insect cases, drawers and steel cabinets for the national collection and divisional working collections of insects.

Maintenance of library, periodicals and books, general supplies, chemicals, etc.

A slight reduction in the amount of each one of these items, we think, will bring about the reduction in the whole appropriation. A considerable amount of this is spent in what we call trays or drawers in which the entomological specimens are mounted. A good deal of care is required in collecting and having them properly mounted and established in these cases, and then they are

Supply-Agriculture

put away in casings for the purpose of reference and identification. The principal saving, however, will be in the bulletins, and there will be a little slackening of the work wherever that can be accomplished without neglect of the outside service which is dealt with in the next item. This item has nothing to do with salaries; it has to do simply with the maintenance of the office in connection with these specimens, bulletins and the various other items to which I have referred.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

If I followed

the minister correctly, this is to enlarge our collection of bug species.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

To put them in the trays. If it is not, perhaps he will tell us what it is.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR