March 26, 1924

Edward Mortimer Macdonald (Minister of National Defence)

Hon. E. M. MACDONALD (Minister of National Defence):

Mr. Speaker, with the

consent of the House, I should like to answer a question put by my hon. friend the leader of the Progressive party (Mr. Forke) yesterday when I was not in the House, as to whether the government were taking into consideration the rate of expenditure for military purposes in Canada compared with such expenditure by the other dominions. In order 45

26, 1924 705

Questions

that the facts may be made clear, the per capita expenditure in February last was as

Canada 5 1.46

New Zealand 2.33

South Africa 2.92

Australia 3.30

Great Britain 15.32

It will be observed that ours is the lowest expenditure per capita of any of the selfgoverning dominions.

PENSIONS TO EX-MILITIA MEN Mr. BLACK (Yukon):

Is it the intention of the government to increase the amount of pensions now paid to former members of His Majesty's forces, their widows and dependents, by the amount of the bonus now paid in addition to pensions, making the permanent pension equal to present pension plus bonus?

Subtopic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE EXPENDITURES

Henri Sévérin Béland (Minister of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment; Minister presiding over the Department of Health)

Hon. Mr. BELAND:

This question was

answered on Monday last.

Subtopic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE EXPENDITURES
CON

George Black

Mr. BLACK (Yukon):

I understood the

reply was that the answer was under consideration.

Subtopic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE EXPENDITURES

Mr. BELAND:

The answer was, that the matter was under consideration. I think my hon. friend will have to withdraw the question and put it on the order paper at some other time.

Subtopic:   NATIONAL DEFENCE EXPENDITURES

HEARING DEBATES. FORMAL REQUEST FOR GREATER ATTENTION TO AUDIBILITY

Andrew Ross McMaster

Mr. ANDREW McMASTER (Brome):

Mr. Speaker, I rise to a point of order. I speak not merely for myself but on behalf of all those who are somewhat removed from the immediate neighborhood of the government. When questions are asked and replied to in a purely conversational tone of voice it is quite impossible for hon. members in distant parts of the chamber to hear what is being said. I think I am in order in drawing formal attention to this condition of affairs and in expressing the hope that all concerned will endeavour to give the benefit of their observations to all the representatives of the people.

Mr. BELAND:

As I think the remarks

of my hon. friend applied to me-

Andrew Ross McMaster

Mr. McMASTER:

Not more than to

others.

Mr. BELAND:

-I will attempt to have my voice carry as far as the hon. gentleman's seat in order to apprise him of the nature of the "conversation" which passed between my hon. friend from Yukon (Mr. Black) and

Great Lakes Levels

myself. He had placed on the order paper a question as to what the policy of the government would be in connection with the pension bonus, and I answered orally last Monday that that policy was under consideration. The question still appears on the order paper, and I ask my hon. friend to let it drop. He objects to that.

Subtopic:   HEARING DEBATES. FORMAL REQUEST FOR GREATER ATTENTION TO AUDIBILITY
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

The minister-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Louder.

Subtopic:   HEARING DEBATES. FORMAL REQUEST FOR GREATER ATTENTION TO AUDIBILITY
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

I observe it is those in front of me who call "louder". I am sure those at a distance heard all right.

Andrew Ross McMaster

Mr. McMASTER:

Subtopic:   HEARING DEBATES. FORMAL REQUEST FOR GREATER ATTENTION TO AUDIBILITY
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

What the minister said

when he was speaking in a low voice was correct. His answer yesterday was that the question was under consideration. If this is the case the question should remain on the order paper. Now he says the whole matter is under consideration. I am quite agreeable that that should be taken for the answer in the meantime.

Mr. BELAND:

The answer appears in

Hansard as follows: "The answer is: Under consideration."

Subtopic:   HEARING DEBATES. FORMAL REQUEST FOR GREATER ATTENTION TO AUDIBILITY
CON

George Black

Mr. BLACK (Yukon):

I submit the question should remain on the order paper and be answered.

Subtopic:   HEARING DEBATES. FORMAL REQUEST FOR GREATER ATTENTION TO AUDIBILITY

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Dropped.

QUESTION PASSED AS ORDER FOR RETURN

LEGAL SERVICES IN ALBERTA Mr. GARDINER: 1. What amounts have been paid by the various departments of the Federal government for legal services in the Province of Alberta, from the 1st of January, 1922, to the 1st of March, 1924? 2. What are the names of the lawyers or firms of lawyers to whom payments have been made and what amount was paid to each? UNOPPOSED MOTIONS FOR PAPERS HON. MR. MACDONALD AND FREIGHT RATES Right Hon. Mr. MEIGHEN: For a copy of all correspondence, telegrams, letters and other documents relating to, forming the basis of, or the justification for the statements of Honourable E. M. Macdonald in North Sydney on the 28th day of July, 1923, in which assurance was given of certain reductions of freight rates for the Maritime Provinces by the Canadian National Railway Board.

GREAT LAKES LEVELS