June 26, 1923

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

As my hon. friend has

helped me out of the hole, I would suggest that he include Micmac, which I understand is current in New Brunswick.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT

Subsection agreed to. On section 8, subsection 19g-Refund on goods sold to province if province exempt from tax.

CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

Why should this refund be made? 1 always understood my hon. friend required the money.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING:

The object of this, I am advised, is that a local government, for example, could import an article free of duty, but in the case of a manufacturer or producer producing the same article he would be subject to tax. In that case when he sells to the local government he could get a refund so he would be put on even terms with the importer.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

This shows the infinity of trouble my hon. friend is making for himself. I thought it was bad enough when we had a lot of refunds at the commencement, but now apparently claims can be put in anywhere.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING:

They are all there for a good purpose.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT
CON

John Babington Macaulay Baxter

Mr. BANTER:

I do not see why the principle that underlies the exemption of provincial governments should not be extended to municipal governments as well or else be denied to all.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING:

Under the British North America Act I am afraid we cannot tax the Crown, that is, a provincial government, but we can tax a municipality. That is the ground of the difference.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

I think in cases under the Income Tax Act as to questions of priorities and the like we had the general right of taxing fairly well settled. As to the liquor case in British Columbia my recollection is that the Privy Council decided that we had the right.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING:

For resale.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

We put it on resale in that case. Does my hon. friend suggest that the provinces have not to pay customs tariff?

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING:

That is one of the interesting constitutional questions that arise in Canada. We are advised that in all probability we have not the right to impose the tax on provincial governments unless they have the goods for resale.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT
CON

Henry Lumley Drayton

Sir HENRY DRAYTON:

I think to-day we are taxing for customs.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING:

It is a nice legal question to put it mildly and I do not think we ought to put a tax on the provinces which would involve us in difficulties.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT

Subsection agreed to. Section agreed to. On section 10-Government or provincial sales; use of postage stamps.

CON

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING:

Subsection 3 of section

19 is the clause which permits the use of postage stamps, which after a given date are no longer to be used.

Topic:   SPECIAL WAR REVENUE ACT AMENDMENT

Section agreed to. On section 11-Schedule 1 amended.

CON

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING:

The passages struck out relate to confectionery and beverages, which were the subject of discussion before.

June 26, 1923