March 27, 1923

James Murdock (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MURDOCK:

My hon. friend is not quite correct in saying that there is only one government employment office in New Brunswick. There is one at Moncton, one at Chatham, and one at St. John.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR
CON

Richard Burpee Hanson

Mr. HANSON:

Does the province contribute to the maintenance of these offices?

Supply-Labour

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR

James Murdock (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MURDOCK:

New Brunswick has all

along hesitated to see the necessity of establishing provincial employment offices but has co-operated in the maintenance of municipal employment offices. I understand that at the St. John office they do provide the premises, the staff being chosen. by the municipality, and the same arrangement prevails at Moncton and Chatham. The federal government pays no more than fifty per cent of the maintenance of these offices. I feel sure that no officer of the Department of Labour ever waited on a gentleman who was conducting an employment office at Fredericton and intimated to him that he should discontinue the office. It is true that the underlying intent of the act is to do away so far as possible with private employment agencies. All the western provinces have discontinued theirs; in Ontario I think about eleven still remain. Generally they have been pretty well abolished all over Canada.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR
CON

Richard Burpee Hanson

Mr. HANSON:

What I have stated to the minister is correct. An officer of his department did call upon the returned soldier to whom I have referred and tried to frighten him out of business.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR
CON

Richard Burpee Hanson

Mr. HANSON:

I think I could. I will do

it privately; I do not want to injure the gentleman. But the minister's answer is hardly a reply to the query I made as to what is the attitude of the department in respect to the establishment of employment offices by private individuals in localities where no public offices are maintained.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR

James Murdock (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MURDOCK:

This is a matter over

which the provincial government has control. Our suggestion to them would be, as it has been to all provinces, to discontinue the private employment agencies and co-operate with the federal government in the maintenance of proper employment offices under government regulation and control.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR
CON

Richard Burpee Hanson

Mr. HANSON:

I approve of that policy, but in the absence of any initiative on the part of the provincial government, what is a community to do? The only solution I can see is for the department to extend its operations into that community.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR

James Murdock (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MURDOCK:

The city of Fredericton has the same opportunity chat any other community has of entering into an agreement with this government. We shall be glad at any time to take the matter up with them.

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR
LAB

James Shaver Woodsworth

Labour

Mr. WOODSWORTH:

The minister, under a previous item, mentioned amounts that were lost through strikes. Could he give us an estimate of the amounts lost through unemployment in this country?

Topic:   DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR

James Murdock (Minister of Labour)

Mr. MURDOCK:

When the item which has been held over comes up for discussion,

I imagine we may have a field day on that question. In the meantime I will try to secure the information for my hon. friend. Item agreed to.

Progress reported.

On motion of Mr.' Mackenzie King, the House adjourned at 11.35 p.m.

Wednesday, March 28, 1923