March 15, 1923

Charles A. Stewart (Minister of Immigration and Colonization; Minister of Mines; Minister of the Interior; Superintendent-General of Indian Affairs)

Mr. STEWART (Argenteuil):

A communication was received in my office two or three days ago from a committee of that organization. I have not yet had time to present it to the government.

Mr. JAMES LARKIN

On the Orders of the Day:

Topic:   ALBERTA COAL
LAB

James Shaver Woodsworth

Labour

Mr. WOODSWORTH:

According to press reports, Mr. James Larkin has been Refused admission into Canada. May I ask the government on what grounds such action is taken?

Topic:   ALBERTA COAL

Mr. STEWART (Argenteuil):

I have no knowledge of the gentleman mentioned having been refused admission into Canada. The matter has not. come to my notice before.

The House in Committee of Supply, Mr. Gordon in the chair.

Royal Candian Mounted Police-salaries, $37,225; contingencies, $9,000.

Topic:   ALBERTA COAL

Hon. S@

This is practically the same amount as last year; there is a decrease of $37.50.

Topic:   ALBERTA COAL

Item agreed to.

IMMIGRATION AND COLONIZATION

Immigration outside servicer-salaries, $700,000.

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

I do not know that I can preface my remarks on the question of immigration now before the House, in a better way than by reading to the Committee an editorial from the Montreal Star of Tuesday, February, 13, 1923. It is very short, and I trust that the members of the Committee will bear with me while I put it on Hansard;

51st Month

It is now fifty months since the armistice. The cessation of war should have been Canada's golden opportunity to increase her population.

Australia and New Zealand seized the opportunity and are benefiting enormously, adding huge capital accretion to the national assets. Canada with folded arms has stood still. The old coalition government attempted nothing, did nothing and did'nt want to do anything. The Liberal government has shut its eyes to the situation, permitted the waste of time of enormous value, then attempts to propitiate the public by promises that mean nothing but delay and suggest nothing but cowardice in dealing wtih the greatest problem that ever confronted the Canadian people.

If the Liberals are to be as inert as the Conservatives or Coalitionists, our country will never take its natural place amongst progressive nations. This Dominion needs a saviour. Its best interests have been neglected.

Topic:   IMMIGRATION AND COLONIZATION
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

There has one come now.

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

Does the hon. gentleman refer to me? I should not be the first of my race that acted as such.

I was glad to note from the remarks of the Acting Minister of Immigration and Colonization (Mr. Stewart) that he did not dignify the proposition which he brought down on Wednesday last by the name of a policy. We have no policy before this country in the matter of immigration. During the tenure of office of the Union government, and later of the National Liberal and Conservative government-as I think they called themselves- nothing was done at all, absolutely nothing; and it gave me a splendid opportunity to make attacks from time to time upon the ineptitude of that government, and I took

1164 COMMONS

Supply-Immigration

occasion to predict that when our party came into power the fog and miasma, if I may call it such, of Unionism would yield to the sunshine of Liberalism.

Topic:   IMMIGRATION AND COLONIZATION
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

Before the hon. gentleman gets to that much more appropriate subject, will he tell the House the actual number of immigrants secured during the time he is complaining of?

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

I do not think the number of people who came into the country during that period is a fair test of the immigration which was received, because the war held up for a number of years a large number of people who were in Europe, from coming to this country. I do not think it is quite fair that the Union government should claim that all these people who came back including even the soldiers, should be looked upon as regular immigrants.

Topic:   IMMIGRATION AND COLONIZATION
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

There is none of that kind claimed at all, and the records do not include them. The records only include immigrants who are immigrants, that is, those who have come for the first time to settle in this country. The hon. gentleman knows that. There is none in the House knows it so well.

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

If they came in, they came in notwithstanding the protest of the government. I had myself a great deal to do in bringing some of them in. In any event we expected nothing from that government, and we got what we expected. But at the present moment when we have here, in "the seats of the mighty," on the treasury benches a galaxy of all the talents of the Liberal party, I must express my surprise and my astonishment that we are simply following in the way of the Philistines,-nothing is being done at all. We have a commercial proposition put before us: We are going to go into partnership with a company known as the Canada Colonization Association

An hon. MEMBER:

No, no.

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

-a company which has no president so far as I know, and has no general manager. It is a company which shows its astuteness in many ways worth while. As I understand it they have received large sums of money through the Canadian Manufacturers' Association. I believe a call was made on members of the Canadian Manufacturers' Association to give their support, in a monetary sense, to this organization. Each member of the Canadian Manufacturers' Association was invited to contribute according to the number of men in his employ to this patriotic

movement. In that respect, as I say, they show a considerable degree of commercial ability. To extract large sums of money from the members of the Canadian Manufacturers' Association is in itself no mean feat.

Topic:   IMMIGRATION AND COLONIZATION
PRO

Edward Joseph Garland

Progressive

Mr. GARLAND (Bow River):

Can the

hon. member inform the House exactly how much was extracted from this association?

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

Well, *it is rather difficult

to find out how much money the Canadian Manufacturers' Association and its members contributed to the public weal; I am not in a position to say. 1 do know, however, that a call has been made throughout the country for support for this patriotic scheme and-[DOT]

Topic:   IMMIGRATION AND COLONIZATION
CON

James Dew Chaplin

Mr. CHAPLIN:

The hon. gentleman said

that an assessment has been levied. What proof has he of that?

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

I have the statement from a member of the Canadian Manufacturers' Association who was asked to contribute $15,000 to this scheme, that is, in proportion to the number of people whom he employed; and he said he promptly ushered to the door the gentleman who applied. I do not know whether the hon. member himself has contributed any such sum as that. He would probably know and I am sure we would be glad to learn from him what the amount was.

March 15, 1923