June 13, 1922

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

I would ask the hon. members whose constituencies have been mentioned-

Topic:   THE BUDGET
Subtopic:   CONTINUATION OF THE DEBATE OP THE ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENT OF THE MINISTER OF FINANCE

An hon. MEMBER:

And others.

Topic:   THE BUDGET

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

Order. I would ask the hon. member for West Calgary to declare if he intends to vote.

LAB

Joseph Tweed Shaw

Labour

Mr. SHAW:

If I must vote, I shall vote against the amendment.

Topic:   THE BUDGET
PRO

Donald MacBeth Kennedy

Progressive

Mr. KENNEDY (Edmonton) :

If I had voted I would have voted against the amendment.

Topic:   THE BUDGET
PRO

Henry Elvins Spencer

Progressive

Mr. SPENCER:

If I had voted I would have voted against the amendment.

Topic:   THE BUDGET
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

I would call your attention, Mr. Speaker, to the fact that the hon. gentlemen are not voting.

LAB

William Irvine

Labour

Mr. IRVINE:

I vote for the amendment.

Topic:   THE BUDGET
PRO

George Gibson Coote

Progressive

Mr. COOTE:

Mr. Speaker, under compulsion I vote against the amendment.

Topic:   THE BUDGET
PRO

Neil Haman McTaggart

Progressive

Mr. McTAGGART:

I vote for the

amendment.

Topic:   THE BUDGET

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

On the question of

casting a vote when a division takes place, Bourinot, fourth edition, page 381, says:

If a member of the Commons who has heard the question put does not vote, and the attention of the Speaker is directed to the fact, the latter will call upon him to declare on which side he votes; and his name will be recorded accordingly.

As there seems to be misunderstanding, the request is made to the hon. member for East Calgary and the hon. member for Centre Winnipeg kindly to declare again which way they vote. So many hon. members rose at the same time that the Clerk did not get their votes.

LAB

William Irvine

Labour

Mr. IRVINE:

For the amendment.

LAB

James Shaver Woodsworth

Labour

Mr. WOODSWORTH:

For the amendment.

Topic:   THE BUDGET
CON

Richard Burpee Hanson

Mr. HANSON:

I was paired with the hon. member for Kent, N.B. (Mr. Leger). Had I voted I would have voted for the amendment and against the budget.

Topic:   THE BUDGET
CON

James Dew Chaplin

Mr. CHAPLIN:

I was paired with the hon. member for Welland (Mr. German). Had I voted I would have voted against the main motion.

Andrew Ross McMaster

Mr. McMASTER:

I was paired with the hon. member for West Hastings (Mr. Porter). Had I not been paired I would have voted against the amendment and for the main motion.

Topic:   THE BUDGET
CON

Matthew Robert Duncan

Mr. DUNCAN:

I was paired with the hon. member for North Bruce (Mr. Malcolm). Otherwise I would have voted for the amendment, and against the main motion.

Topic:   THE BUDGET

George William Kyte (Whip of the Liberal Party; Chief Government Whip)

Mr. KYTE:

I was paired with the hon. member for South Simcoe (Mr. Boys). Otherwise I would have voted for the main motion and against the amendment.

Samuel William Jacobs

Mr. JACOBS:

I was paired with the hon. member for Centre Toronto (Mr. Bristol). Otherwise I would have voted for the main motion and against the amendment.

Joseph-Charles-Théodore Gervais

Mr. GERVAIS (Translation) :

Mr. Speaker, I was paired with the hon. member for Royal (Mr. Jones). Otherwise I would have voted against the amendment and for the main motion.

June 13, 1922