1. Is any portion of the Federal grant for Highways applicable to the planting of trees on the Provincial highway from Ottawa to Prescott ?
2. Is the Government aware that hundreds of trees planted along this highway are dead?
3. If the Federal grant can legally be used for tree planting, will the Government insist that the contractor who supplied the trees be compelled to replace those which are dead?
Hon. Mr. .KENNEDY:
1. Yes; where trees are considered necessary to protect the road surface from the effects of sun and storm.
2. Oak, maple, ash or elm trees to the number of 5,070 were purchased from local farmers at 25 cents per tree, and planted, 75 feet apart, on portions of the highway, aggregating thirty-six miles, where no natural protection had been afforded. In addition, some 2,000 pine trees, the cost of which was not charged to the highway, have been set out. All tree planting has been under the supervision of a provincial forester. It is estimated that possibly 500 trees have failed to survive transplanting; it is understood that these are to be replaced at once iby the provincial Highways Department.
1, 3 and 4. There is no expenditure in connection with the Militia Council, except in so far as the vice president is concerned. He is an officer of the permanent force seconded for duty in accordance with paragraph 4, sections 8, 9 and 10, Militia Pension Act, and is entitled as Vice President of the Militia Council to the pay fixed by pay regulations, i.e., $4,500 per annum.
2. Yes, the minister is the President and the deputy minister is the Vice President of Militia Council.
5, 6 and 7. Military Members: The Chief of the General Staff, the Quartermaster General, the Adjutant General and the Master General of the Ordnance, are the members of Militia Council. Their salaries are as follows: Chief of the General Staff, $8,000; Quartermaster General, $7,500; Adjutant General, $7,500; Master General of the Ordnance, $7,500. The position of Master General of the Ordnance has been abolished from 1st June, 1922. These officers are receiving no extra emoluments as members of Militia Council.
8. Sittings are left to the discretion of the minister.