May 9, 1922

COMMITTEE ON RAILWAYS, CANALS AND TELEGRAPH LINES

Mr. FRANK S. CAHILL (Pontiac) moved: That the fees and charges paid on Bill No. 22, and act respecting Montreal, Joliette and Transcontinental Junction Railway Company, be refunded, less the cost of printing and translating the same, in accordance with the recommendations contained in the fourth report of the Select Standing Committee on Railways, Canals and Telegraph lines.

CON

Henry Herbert Stevens

Mr. STEVENS:

Would it be possible to amend that motion to include a similar ease, that of the hill respecting the Fraser Valley and Southern Railway Company, which was thrown out by the committee? I think the same treatment should be extended in this case, but I am not a member of the Railway Committee, and even as the one in whose name the bill rested, I have not the privilege of so moving in committee.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON RAILWAYS, CANALS AND TELEGRAPH LINES

Hewitt Bostock (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER:

In that case a recommendation would be necessary in the form of a report from the committee, and if the hon. gentleman will take the necessary steps to have that recommendation made, the fees will be refunded in accordance with the usual practice. As it is, there is only one recommendation from the committee and it is with respect to the Montreal, Joliette and Transcontinental Junction Railway Company. Of course, it is only a matter of procedure.

Topic:   COMMITTEE ON RAILWAYS, CANALS AND TELEGRAPH LINES

Motion agreed to.

Supply-Militia

CANADA SHIPPING ACT AMENDMENT

Hon. ERNEST LAPOINTE (Minister of Marine and Fisheries) moved that the House do to-morrow go into Committee of the Whole to consider a certain proposed resolution in favour of amending Part XII of the Canada Shipping Act, relating to Harbours and Harbour Masters. Motion agreed to.

POTLATCH INSTITUTION

NUMBER OF INDIANS SERVING GAOL SENTENCES

On the Orders of the Day:

PRO

John Walter Findlay

Progressive

Mr. J. W. FINDLAY (South Bruce):

Mr. Speaker, before the Orders of the Day are called, I desire to call the attention of the Government to a matter which, I feel, requires some explanation. On Wednesday, May 3, the Minister of the Interior (Mr. Stewart), in reply to a series of questions placed on the Order Paper by the hon. member for Vancouver South (Mr. Ladner), gave certain information. Question No. 6 reads as follows:

Are there at the present time twenty-three Indians serving jail terms for having taken -part in potlatches?

The reply to that by the minister is:

No; four are serving sentence, the parole of three of whom is under consideration by the Department of Justice.

I hold in my hand a telegram from a resident of Vancouver dated May 8, which reads as follows:

Stewart stated last week in reply to Ladner's question that all Indians except four had been released. All are yet in jail. Demand explanation on floor of House immediately.

That message is signed by a gentleman in whose honesty, veracity, and caution in making statements of this kind I have the greatest confidence. I would like the minister to make some explanation.

Topic:   POTLATCH INSTITUTION
Subtopic:   NUMBER OF INDIANS SERVING GAOL SENTENCES

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Hon. W. L. MACKENZIE KING (Prime Minister):

I am sorry to say that I was not able to hear more than half a dozen words of what my hon. friend said. However, I gathered that it related to some matter affecting a reply made by the Minister of the Interior with regard to Indians. If so I will confer with the minister and with my hon. friend and will try to let him have an answer from the minister before the day's proceedings are over.

Topic:   POTLATCH INSTITUTION
Subtopic:   NUMBER OF INDIANS SERVING GAOL SENTENCES

MILITIA AND DEFENCE

The House again in Committee of Supply, Mr. Gordon in the Chair. [Mr Speaker.] Militia and Defence-annual drill, $1,400,000.

George Newcombe Gordon (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

The CHAIRMAN:

Mr. Power had moved by way of amendment that item No. 90 be reduced by the sum of $1,100,000. Shall the amendment carry?

Hon. GEORGE P. GRAHAM (Minister of Militia and Defence) : I do not see the hon. gentleman who moved the amendment, but he probably will be here. The only way we can proceed, I suppose, would be either to declare the amendment lost or carried, or to move a further amendment.

I wish to make a short statement to the House before proceeding with this item. It is the desire of the Government, of course, to meet the wishes of Parliament, for Parliament is supreme. After hearing the discussion the other day I conferred with my officers again, and while they maintain that the original estimates are the proper ones, and the ones that should have been put through the House for the efficient carrying on of the work, they have given me a schedule of proposed reductions, and they tell me that if these reductions are made, the balance will provide for the training of a proportionate part of the force. The training last year was not complete, but it was approximately so. This year, I am informed, if the reduction which I am gqing to suggest is made, the artillery can be trained, city corps, and possibly a portion of the country units, for it must be remembered that a number of the city corps go into camp. The amount remaining after the reduction is made will provide for this drill as usual, the number of days being nine. It will, of course, reduce the percentage of strength of the various units, but my officers assure me that it will not altogether destroy the training or drill. I wished to make this statement before we proceed, because if the amendment be adhered to, I shall move a sub-amendment.

The reductions proposed by the officers of the department are as follows: Annual drill $400,000; cadet services $100,000; clothing and necessaries $21,000; Dominion arsenals $50,000; engineers' services and works $50,000; ordnance arms, lands, etc. $9,000; pay of staff $10,000; schools of instruction $50,000; and Royal Military College $10,000; making a total reduction of $700,000. That is a pretty drastic cut, when it is remembered that there was a marked reduction already in the estimates as compared with last year. I might add, however, that last year there was about $1,000,000 that was not expended. I now

Supply-Militia

beg to move in amendment to the amendment that the figures $1,100,000 be stricken out and the figures $400,000 be substituted therefor.

Topic:   MILITIA AND DEFENCE
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

I would call the attention of the Chairman to a point of order. The minister is the mover of the original resolution.

Topic:   MILITIA AND DEFENCE

George Perry Graham (Minister of Militia and Defence; Minister of the Naval Service)

Mr. GRAHAM:

No, the Minister of

Finance.

Topic:   MILITIA AND DEFENCE
CON

Arthur Meighen (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

Is the Minister of Finance the mover of all these resolutions in Supply?

Topic:   MILITIA AND DEFENCE

The CHAIRMAN:

It is not a resolution that he moved. The committee went into Supply on the calling of the Orders of the Day. *

Topic:   MILITIA AND DEFENCE