Hon. GEORGE P. GRAHAM (Minister of Militia and Defence) moved that the House to-morrow go into Committee of the Whole on the following proposed resolution:
Resolved-1. That it is expedient to bring in a measure to create a department of the Government of Canada to be called the Department of National Defence, over which a Minister of the Crown shall preside who shall be the Minister of National Defence.
2. That the Minister shall be charged with all matters relating to Defence, including the Militia, the Military, Naval, Air and Police Services of Canada.
3. That there shall be a Deputy Minister of National Defence who shall be appointed by the Governor in Council, and hold office during pleasure, and such officers may be appointed as are necessary for the carrying on of the business of the department.
4. That the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Minister may appoint an officer who shall, in relation to the Naval Service exercise all the powers and duties vested in the Deputy Minister of the Naval Service by or under The Naval Service Act, and who shall have the rank and salary of a Deputy Head of a department, and shall be a member of the Defence Council.
5. That the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Minister may appoint an officer to be known as Comptroller, who under the Deputy Minister of National Defence, shall be charged with all financial matters pertaining to the Department of National Defence.
TMr. Fortier ]
6. That any person whose position is abolished on the coming into force of the Act to be based upon these Resolutions may, on the recommendation of the Minister, be appointed by the Governor in Council to such position in the Department and with such rank, title and salary as shall be prescribed.
7. That if any person is removed from office or an appointment in consequence of the abolition of his office or his appointment by the Act based upon these Resolutions or by any order or regulation thereunder, or is retired within two years after the coming into force of the said Act, the Governor in Council may grant him a gratuity, retiring or superannuation allowance, or pension not exceeding such as he would have been entitled or eligible to receive if he had been retired under the provisions of any Act applicable to him, after adding from one to three years, as the Governor in Council may deem advisable, to his actual term of service.
8. That provision be made to vest the powers, duties and functions vested in the Ministers and Deputy Ministers under the various Acts relating to the Naval Service, the Militia, Militia Pensions, the Royal Military College, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Dominion Police, in the Minister of National Defence and the Deputy Minister of National Defence respectively :-Provided that the powers vested in the Deputy Minister of the Naval Service under the Naval Service Act shall be exercised by the officer appointed for that purpose as aforesaid.
9. That provision be made to constitute a Defence Council to advise the Minister on all matters of Defence, including or relating to the Militia, the Military, Naval, Air and Police Services of Canada, and on all matters referred to it by the Minister, and to perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the Governor in Council.
He said: I beg to inform the House that His Excellency the Governor General having been apprised of the subject matter of the resolution commends it to the consideration of the House.
Motion agreed to.