June 2, 1921

L LIB

Georges Henri Boivin (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

Laurier Liberal

The CHAIRMAN:

I must remind my hon. friend that if this discussion continues the House will be plunged into another Budget debate.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
UNION

John Allister Currie

Unionist

Mr. CURRIE:

I am not going to enter upon another Budget debate, but I think I have a perfect right to discuss all phases of the income tax under this Bill, which covers them all. I ask your ruling on that, Mr. Chairman.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
L LIB

Laurier Liberal

The CHAIRMAN:

The ruling of the

Chair is that a discussion concerning the abolition of the income tax is not in order upon this Bill.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
UNION

John Allister Currie

Unionist

Mr. CURRIE:

Then I will talk of some other business in connection with it. What did the abolition of this customs tax cost the province of Ontario last year? I wish to discuss this because people in this House do not realize how it is causing hard times in this country. I think it would be of very great interest to the House for me to show how it is causing hard times. I do not want to put on Hansard another discussion on the Budget, but I think it is only fair to the people of this country who are paying the income tax, and who do not believe in an income tax, that I should give the facts. I believe that if a referendum were held in this country on which tax was preferred, an income tax or a customs tax, the vote would be four to one in favour of

the customs tax. Hon. gentlemen opposite do not seem to realize that. The province of Ontario imported last year from the United States, leaving out coal, $500,000,000 worth of goods, which should have paid the 7i per cent tax, and the people of that province paid in exchange to the Americans $58,000,000.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
L LIB

Laurier Liberal

The CHAIRMAN:

I must ask the hon. member to desist from that argument. I have so often interrupted other hon. members when they were discussing other matters which were not in order that I certainly cannot make an exception.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
UNION

John Allister Currie

Unionist

Mr. CURRIE:

I always bow to your

ruling, Mr. Chairman. I notice that you always keep me pretty close to the mark, and I do not appreciate it very much, because you allow other people to wander all round the lot. I wish to place myself on record as being entirely opposed to the income tax.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
L LIB

James Alexander Robb

Laurier Liberal

Mr. ROBB:

I submit that the hon. member has no right to cast aspersions on the Chair.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
L LIB
UNION

John Allister Currie

Unionist

Mr. CURRIE:

I have nothing to withdraw. I say that the Chairman keeps me pretty close to the mark, and he knows that. It is no disparagement of the Chairman for me to say that. It shows how impartial he is.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
L LIB
UNION

John Allister Currie

Unionist

Mr. CURRIE:

I am going to repeat that this country last year lost $75,000,000 by the abolition of the 71 per cent tax. There is no justification for the income tax, and if hon. gentlemen opposite wish to go to the country on that, let them go. There will be others who will go to the country on the abolition of the tax, and we will see which will win.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
L LIB

Daniel Duncan McKenzie

Laurier Liberal

Mr. McKENZIE:

I cannot understand how my good Scotch friend from North Simcoe can sit behind this Government and support such a blundering aggregation. He told us a few weeks ago that they lost $100,000,000 on the blunder they made in abolishing the Wheat Board, and now he tells -us they have lost $75,000,000 on the abolition of this customs tax. That makes $175,000,000.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS
L LIB

Laurier Liberal

The CHAIRMAN:

I was obliged to call the hon. member for North Simcoe to order, and I must certainly rule the hon. member (Mr. McKenzie) out of order.

Topic:   REVISED EDITION. COMMONS

Section agreed to. Bill reported, read the third time and passed.

RETURNED SOLDIERS' INSURANCE ACT

On the motion of Sir George Foster (for the Prime Minister), Bill No. 222, to amend the Returned Soldiers' Insurance Act, was read the second time, and the House went into committee thereon, Mr. Boivin in the Chair. On section 1-'provision respecting insurance and limits thereof amended:

L LIB

William Duff

Laurier Liberal

Mr. DUFF:

Before we proceed to the discussion of clause 1, I desire to add a clause to the Act which will be an amendment to section 2 of chapter 54 of the Act of 1920. I might say that the information which has caused me to move this amendment did not reach me in sufficient time for me to appear before the Pensions Committee and place my case before them.

Topic:   RETURNED SOLDIERS' INSURANCE ACT
L LIB

Laurier Liberal

The CHAIRMAN:

Before the hon. gentleman proceeds further, I would point out that the rule to be followed in the moving of amendments to add clauses to Acts is that the clauses printed in the Bill under consideration are first considered. After they have been adopted by the committee any hon. member has the right to move any additional clauses which do not alter the principle of the Bill. The hon. member may have some special reason for introducing his amendment at this stage, and if he has, I should be glad to ask for the unanimous consent of the committee that he be allowed to proceed.

Topic:   RETURNED SOLDIERS' INSURANCE ACT
L LIB

William Duff

Laurier Liberal

Mr. DUFF:

I bow to your ruling, Mr. Chairman. I simply thought it would be better to bring the matter up now, as it refers to clauses of the original Act.

Topic:   RETURNED SOLDIERS' INSURANCE ACT

Section agreed to. On section 4-provisions respecting death of a beneficiary during lifetime of insured amended:

June 2, 1921