June 1, 1921

UNI L
UNION

Michael Steele

Unionist

The CHAIRMAN (Mr. Steele):

There

is altogether too much conversation going on in the chamber.

L LIB
L LIB

Georges Henri Boivin (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

Laurier Liberal

The CHAIRMAN:

If there was less

conversation better progress would be made with the business.

Total Estimated cost

UNION

John Albert Sexsmith

Unionist

Mr. SEXSMITH:

The questions I asked the minister and which were addressed through you, Mr. Chairman, were these: If the Government are building permanent highways; and if so, do they consider limestone a metal which will make a road likely to last longer than two or three years?

UNION

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Unionist

Hon. Mr. REID:

The Ontario Government have experts in road building who have been appointed purposely to construct these roads. Our engineers go over each road with their experts, and they decide on the materials to be used and whether such will make a permanent road. The engineers of the Department of Railways and Canals together with those of the Ontario Government then come to a decision which is acted upon.

L LIB

David Arthur Lafortune

Laurier Liberal

Mr. LAFORTUNE:

(Translation.) Mr. Chairman, I wish to inquire of the hon. minister what has been done in connection of a small bridge that crosses the Lachine canal. Two years ago, I had requested the hon. minister to practically rebuild that small bridge, which had become inadequate and dangerous, and I was told at the time that the matter would be taken into consideration; but a year has elapsed and nothing has been done. I would like to know from the hon. minister whether some work was really done on that bridge during last year.

I would like to have that information. It is a small bridge crossing the Lachine canal on the locks, in the city of Lachine itself, opposite the City Hall. That bridge has become dangerous, and a promise was made to me that they would make the repairs required to make it satisfactory.

UNION

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Unionist

Hon. Mr. REID:

I understand my hon. friend to ask what is being done with reference to the bridge across the Lachine canal?

L LIB
UNION

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Unionist

Hon. Mr. REID:

I suppose the hon. member sees that I understand French well too.

L LIB
UNION

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Unionist

Hon. Mr. REID:

There is an item in the Estimates under "Lachine Canal Improvements" of $50,000. That is to replace

the old bridges over the Lachine canal and that covers the item that the hon. member is asking about.

L LIB

David Arthur Lafortune

Laurier Liberal

Mr. LAFORTUNE:

The minister understands what I am asking about; it is a small bridge?

UNION

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Unionist

Hon. Mr. REID:

Yes I know it is in the Estimates now.

L LIB

David Arthur Lafortune

Laurier Liberal

Mr. LAFORTUNE:

So I have the assurance that the work will be done?

UNION
L LIB
UNION

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Unionist

Hon. Mr. REID:

,1 have an item, as I say, in the Estimates!

UF

Thomas Wakem Caldwell

United Farmers

Mr. CALDWELL:

I asked the minister how much has been spent in New Brunswick but I did not get any reply.

June 1, 1921