June 30, 1920

UNI L

William Stevens Fielding

Unionist (Liberal)

Mr. FIELDING:

I would like to offer a suggestion. I appreciate the difficulty of the Government in dealing with this police question. At the time the Northwest Territories were organized into provinces the need for the police seejned to have disappeared and the Government apparently for that reason brought them East. I agree that they are not fitted for eastern work and I do not think they like it. But in any case it seems to me that they ought to be employed somewhere usefully. My suggestion would be that the Government open negotiations with the western provinces and see if some arrangement cannot be made whereby this very valuable force shall be still employed in the West, the Dominion paying a share-and a liberal share-of the expenditure. I feel so much pride in the record of that splendid body of men that I do not want to see the force destroyed and I would be willing to pay some money to prevent that result. I do not think the Government can go on keeping them in the East and I would hope that the minister would be able to make some arrangement with the western provincial governments to share the expense. If the provinces will not take the force it had better be disbanded altogether but I would not like to see that happen and I think the suggestion is worthy of consideration.

UNION

Newton Wesley Rowell (Minister presiding over the Department of Health; President of the Privy Council)

Unionist

Mr. ROWELL:

L LIB

Joseph Archambault

Laurier Liberal

Mr. ARCHAMBAULT:

Is the Mr. Loggie my hon. friend is referring to the hon. member for Northumberland?

L LIB

Auguste Théophile Léger

Laurier Liberal

Mr. LEGER:

No, it is not. The member

for Northumberland is W. S. Loggie, to whom I will refer later on. 1 was a little surprised that Robichaud did not get the contract, and it is still a mystery to me why he did not. Now, Mr. Chairman, you will note that the hon. minister did not mention in hi.s letter that this line was to end at the mouth of the river. He always said it was to go to Kouchibouguac. That is the only place where the business of that district is dope. The post office bears the name of Kouchibouguac.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Oh, oh.

L LIB

Auguste Théophile Léger

Laurier Liberal

Mr. LEGER:

Hon. gentleman will have to learn that name. Many of them I expect cannot write it or spell it, but if they will come to me I shall be happy to do it for them. Now, the minister never mentioned that this line was going to end at mouth of the river, he always said Kouchibouguac, and I believed at the time that he intended to connect with that telephone line. On my return home last July after the end of the session I was informed that the line was built from Pointe Sapin, not to Kouchibouguac, as was expected, but

to the mouth of the river, direct to the W. S. Loggie Lobster Canning Factory-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Shame.

L LIB

Auguste Théophile Léger

Laurier Liberal

Mr. LEGER:

I am sorry that I have to mention the name of an hon. member, but I cannot do anything else in the matter.

L LIB
L LIB

Auguste Théophile Léger

Laurier Liberal

Mr. LEGER:

Mr. Chairman, my hon.

friend from Northumberland, Mr. Loggie-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Order.

L LIB

Auguste Théophile Léger

Laurier Liberal

Mr. LEGER:

-has a lobster canning factory at Pointe Sapin, and another factory at the mouth of the Kouchibouguac river, and this line of telephone connects the two factories, and there is no other office along the new line; it does not accommodate anyone else. I will read to the House an extract from a letter which will corroborate what I have just said. The writer states:

-beg: to say that the Government telephone (so called) ends at W. S. Loggie's factory and as far as I know is not in any other place on the route. It is nothing more than a private line for W. S. Loggie-

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Shame.

L LIB

Auguste Théophile Léger

Laurier Liberal

Mr. LEGER:

Ottawa, April 21st, 1920.

1 ior.ourablo J. 0. Reid,

. Acting Mmiisteir of Public Works,

Ottawa.

Honourable amidi 0eair Sir,-I have a.n ap-pl'ica-bion, from oinie Mr. Charles Wiillliaimis, of Kou-ch'iUnmguiac, iin the County of Kent, N.B., for am extension of thie telephone Mme from the lime now tai'jreaidy buiilt by the Government, from Pointe Sapin to the Loggie Company Lobster Oainmimig Factory, ait the mouth of the Kouchl-bouguaic river, to the Kouchibouiguac village, a distance of about three males, which extension of line would accommodate a great many people in that district, and also all the people of Pointe Sapin.

Mr. Williams offers to give all the assistance possible by procuring some material for said line, which application 1 would task for your most earnest consideration.

An early reply would oblige,

Yours truly.

I will not charge hon. gentleman who was then Acting Minister of 'Public Works with any deliberate delay; my letter must have miscarried in some way, because I have always found the minister to be very prompt in replying to correspondence. >So you will see, Mr. Chairman, that this telephone line was built for the sole purpose olf accommodating my hon. friend from Northumberland (Mr. Loggie) at the public expense, and no one else. I am sorry that I have to make such a declaration, bht T feel that it is my duty to do so. When the people's money is expended for such a purpose the country should know about it, and I wish also to show to the country that I have been no party to the deal. The Government must take full responsibility for the whole matter. 1 have asked the Government on different occasions for small grants for river dredging, repairing of wharfs, the buoying of channels, accommodation to fishermen and farmers and the handling of mud fertilizer for their land, but the Government has not responded by meeting the needs of the people. I may say right here that I am informed by a reliable source that it has been reported by the Government inspector for the Chatham district that dredging will be carried on this summer at or near the Loggie lobster factory at the mouth of the Kouchibouguac river,-which would accommodate my hon. friend from Northumberland. But, Sir, the Government seem to have plenty money with which to build telephone lines for private concerns. As I have said, not a word was mentioned in letters received from the minister of his. intention to end that telephone line at the Loggie factory at the mouth of the river. Now we understand why the whole matter

was not made public before; and this is a couise which I condemn. If the Government had built a line to Kouchibouguac and then a short line to the W. S. Loggie Company's canning factory it would not be so had, but no; they give this private company full accommodation and the general public none. I therefore want some explanation from the Government why this line was built for a private concern, at a cost to the country of thousands of dollars. Why should this line have been built for a rich concern at the expense of the poor people of the country? I would like to know what was the cost of putting up this telephone line. The amount does not appear in the public accounts. I make this matter public because the people of my county are not satisfied with regard to it. The needs set forth by the letter from Mr. Williams, which I read a few moments ago, have met with no response, and I hope that the .Government will give some attention to this matter and state why this work was done at the expense of the public to assist a private concern.

UNION

William Stewart Loggie

Unionist

Mr. LOGGIE:

I want to say first of all that I do not own any lobster factory in Kouchibouguac district. There is nothing in. the construction of that line that I know of that is not perfectly regular. Kouchibouguac village has a public telephone and has had such for many years. The district at the mouth of the river that connects with Pointe Sapin did not have any telephones and .as it is a very important part of Kent county 2 a.m. as regards the shipping of fresh fish, it was in the public interest that telephone connection should be had with the other portion of the Government line, namely, Escuminac point. There has been a telegraph line between Chatham and Escuminac point for the last thirty or forty years. Recently it has been changed to a telephone line, and it was that line that was connected up with Chatham.

To provide for the purchase of the LotbiniSre and the Megantic Railway under authority of Chapter 22, Statutes of Canada, 1916, together with interest at 5 per cent from 1st, April, 1920, $336,875.

L LIB

Georges Parent

Laurier Liberal

Mr. PARENT:

Has this amount been

paid to the Tailway company?

UNION

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Public Works; Minister of Railways and Canals)

Unionist

Mr. J. D. REID:

We could not possibly pay it until the money is voted.

UNI L

William Stevens Fielding

Unionist (Liberal)

Mr. FIELDING:

Would the minister give us some particulars as to how this sum was reached?

UNION

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Public Works; Minister of Railways and Canals)

Unionist

Mr. J. D. REIID:

The deputy will be here in a few moments. We can let this item stand and come back to it later.

Item stands. [DOT]

Canadian Government Railways-To provide for payment of expenses in connection with acquisition of the Grand Trunk and associated railway systems-additional amount required, $400,000.

Subtopic:   R. M. COULTER,

William Lyon Mackenzie King (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. MACKENZIE KING:

When is the

arbitration likely to proceed?

June 30, 1920