ANNIVERSARY OF BATTLE OF ST.
After prayers had been read by Mr. Speaker, hon. membrs of the House stood for some minutes in silent prayer, in accordance with the intimation previously given by the Right Hon.* Sir George Foster (Acting Prime Minister), "in commemoration of the battle of St. Julien, in sacred memory of the Canadian troops who died for their country, and in honour of the bravery and heroism displayed by the soldiers of the Dominion."
PRIVATE BILLS-FIRST READINGS.
Bill No. 71, respecting the Bell Telephone Company of Canada.-iHon. S. C. Mewburn.
Bill No. 72, to incorporate the Northwest Route, Limited.-Mr. Boys.
(Questions answered orally are indicated by asterisks.)
[Mr. Mackenzie Kins. 1
ME. DANIEL, D. HENNICK'S PATENTS.
CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAYS-ACQUISITION OF ELECTRIC SYSTEMS.
CANADIAN MERCANTILE MARINE.
THE ARTHUR YOUNG COMPANY.
1. For how long is it the Intention of the Government to retain the services of the Arthur Young Company in connection with the re-classification of the Civil Service?
2. Is it the intention of the Government to continue the employment of the Arthur Young Company for some other purpose when classification is completed?
3. If so, what is it intended to employ them for?
Rt, Hon. Mr. SIFTON:
1. For the balance of the present month of April.
2. No, so far as is known at the present time.
3. Answered by No. 2.
OFFICERS ON HEADQUARTERS STAFF.
1. Are officers in Headquarters Staff, Department of Militia and Defence, entitled to be provided with a saddle horse and a groom or batman in addition to their ordinary pay and allowances?
2. What officers were supplied with saddle horses and grooms since August, 1914?
3. What was the number of horses kept for this purpose each year, and what was the initial cost of such horses and the amount for maintenance each year?
4. How many grooms and batmen were employed in the service of officers of the Headquarters Staff, and what was the total outlay each year for pay and allowances for these men?
5. What extra allowance did an officer receive when he had not a horse and groom or a batman assigned to him?