October 23, 1919

Lawrence Geoffrey Power

Mr. POWER:

I was paired with the hon. member for South Waterloo (Mr. Scott). Had I voted I would have voted for the amendment.

Mr. J. fl. SINCLAIR: I was paired with the hon Minister of Trade and Commerce (Sir George Foster). Had I voted I would have voted for the amendment.

Topic:   GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY SYSTEM.
Subtopic:   BILL, PROVIDING FOR THE ACQUISITION OF THE SYSTEM BY THE GOVERNMENT.
UNION

Alexander McGregor

Unionist

Mr. A. McGREGOR:

I was paired with the hon. member for Megantic (Mr. Tur-cotte). Had I voted I would have voted against the amendment.

L LIB

Charles Alphonse Fournier

Laurier Liberal

Mr. FOURNIER:

I was paired with the Minister of Militia (Major-General Mewburn). Had I voted I would have voted for the amendment.

UNION

William Sora Middlebro (Whip of the Conservative Party (1867-1942))

Unionist

Mr. MIDDLEBRO:

I was paired with the hon. member for Chateauguay-Huntingdon (Mr. Robb). Had I voted I would have voted against the amendment.

UNION

Robert Francis Green

Unionist

Mr. GREEN:

I was paired with the hon. member for Victoria, Alta., (Mr. White). Had I voted I would have voted against the amendment.

Main motion agreed to on the same division reversed, and Bill read the second time.

On motion of Hon. J. D. Reid the House went into committee on the Bill, Mr. Boivin in the Chair.

On section 1:

L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUREAU:

May I ask when the minister intends to resume the consideration of this Bill in committee after the adjournment to-night? To-morrow is Friday and there will not be very many members in the House. Could we not leave this matter until Monday evening?

UNION

John Dowsley Reid (Minister of Customs and Inland Revenue; Minister of Railways and Canals)

Unionist

Mr. J. D. REID:

I discussed the matter with the chief whip of the Opposition and we thought there would be no objection if we dealt with the Bill until about six o'clock, when we could take up some other business, resuming the Bill on Monday.

L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUREAU:

The trains leave between four and five o'clock in the afternoon, and if you discuss this Bill until six o'clock any hon. members who desire to leave in the afternoon may be unable to do so if they are anxious to take part in the discussion of this matter.

UNION

Unionist

Mr. J. D. REID:

There will be a good many members here who will be desirous of speaking on the Bill.

L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUREAU:

We would like to be present also to take part in the discussion.

UNION

Henry Herbert Stevens

Unionist

Mr. STEVENS:

May I point out that practically all the members, from west of the Great Lakes remain here continuously throughout the session and never get home to see their families or touch their business? Hon. gentlemen from Ontario and Quebec as well as from the extreme East should have some consideration in the matter.

L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUREAU:

There is other business that could be taken up. We have concluded this debate earlier than we might have done, and in so doing we have made a concession. We are not asking anything extraordinary in the request that further consideration of this Bill be postponed until Monday. Hon. members would not suffer, and in the meantime some other business might be proceeded with. The various bye-elections take place on Monday and many hon. members will no doubt be absent.

UNION

Unionist

Mr. J. D. REID:

I move, Mr. Chairman, that the Committee rise and report progress.

L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUREAU:

Will the minister kindly give an answer to my request?

UNION

Unionist

Mr. J. D. REID:

I can only repeat that I made an arrangement with the chief Opposition whip and I think we had better let the matter stand as agreed upon between us. To-morrow we shall see if there is any other business that we can do, and in the meantime we shall proceed with this Bill until six o'clock.

Progress reported. .

On the motion of Hon. Mr. Doherty, the House adjourned at 12.20 p.m.

Eriday, October 24, 1919.

October 23, 1919