1. On the outbreak of war in 1914, the Government ordered a full investigation with respect to the export of nickel and the putting in force of an effective system of control which would ensure that Canadian nickel did not reach our alien enemies.
2. G. A. Bell, Deputy Minister, Department of Railways and Canals.
3. A system of control was established, approved by the Imperial authorities, which enabled the Canadian Government to direct and control the output of nickel, and to establish beyond doubt the purpose for which every pound of nickel was used.
1. Has the Government been officially notified by the Secretary of the Board of Trade of the city of Winnipeg that the retail merchants of Winnipeg, because of an order of " The Board of Commerce " limiting the gross profit to retail merchants to one cent per Pound m sugar, had decided to cease handling sugar?
2. Has the Board of Trade of Winnipeg requested the Dominion Government to take over the retail distribution of sugar in that city and district?
3. If so, what method of distribution of this commodity has the Government decided to adopt?
Subtopic: RETAIL DISTRIBUTION OP SUGAR.
What is the total cost of the investigation into the charges preferred against the Jesuit College of Guelph, Ontario, on the alleged evasion of the Military Service Act by the directors of said college?
1. No, but the services of 140 temporary employees who were taken on in the Montreal Post Office to replace members of the regular staff on summer holidays have been dispensed with, as the summer holidays have been completed and the regular staff has returned to duty. 'The services of these temporary men were, therefore, no longer required. 115 of them were returned soldiers.